Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation

Options
  • 06-04-2006 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm coming to UCD in September to do a postgrad, and Im just wondering what the quality of the on-campus apartments is like, do they have cable tv, broadband, are the rooms decently sized? Have checked the website not really alot of info there.
    Also looking into the possibilities of getting an apartment somewhere nearby, would it be better to stay on campus or to rent else where?

Any info appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Accommodation, 2 m's. Ha, I rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

I stand corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

The social life is far, far better on-campus. TV is a little bit lacking but by next September wireless internet should be extended most of the on-campus residences. No cable TV, I'm afraid though, just the four Irish and a small (and bizarrely random and diverse) selection of others.

Don't let that throw you. Given the choice, take on-campus every time. The rooms aren't massive but they're certainly enough to get by on, it's not excessively cramped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

How much would rent be p/m?

Having only just this minute seen the word 'postgrad', I have to tell you that you'd likely be in Glenomena, which is snazzy, plush, and already has wireless internet and (as far as I'm aware, though I'm liable for correction) a better TV selection. The only issue that is the layout - which is single en suite bedrooms with a kitchen between 8 - sometimes promotes loneliness, but if you're in any way at all outgoing then it shouldn't be a hassle. Rent is, to the best of my knowledge, about €5k for the entire academic year, 1 September - 1 June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

No cable TV, I'm afraid though, just the four Irish and a small (and bizarrely random and diverse) selection of others.

a friend of mine staying in merville had the irish four and the fashion channel way back in 1st year. by june he knew all of the different designers ranges and collections.

he repeated 1st year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

The only issue that is the layout - which is single en suite bedrooms with a kitchen between 8

It's between 6. And no prob intermingling with ur flatmates unless ur a complete social retard.

irlrobins wrote:
    It's between 6. And no prob intermingling with ur flatmates unless ur a complete social retard.
    I was just saying it because of that suicide there this year... :(

What???? What does the number of rooms have to do with a sucide?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I was just saying it because of that suicide there this year... :(
    that has to be one of the strangest comments i've heard yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

**WARNING**

No Oven

**WARNING**

not a big issue really. You can either learn to live without it (I did for 3 years) or buy your own mini oven.

I think it's a good idea having no oven. Seeing how some people can't even wash their own dishes, they'd never clean the oven I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

irlrobins wrote:
    not a big issue really. You can either learn to live without it (I did for 3 years) or buy your own mini oven.

I think it's a good idea having no oven. Seeing how some people can't even wash their own dishes, they'd never clean the oven I'm sure.

isn't that the reason why they don't have ovens? people's inability to clean them i mean...
    personally, I'd never live on campus, but that's because i don't like living with more than one person. for my PhD i'm actually considering moving to the middle of nowhere and living on my own.

rain on wrote:
    isn't that the reason why they don't have ovens? people's inability to clean them i mean...

Yep, a couple went on fire cos they weren't being cleaned and the food that dropped to the bottom eventually ignited.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

irlrobins wrote:

In my previous flat we had a mini oven and it was on fire nearly every day!!! I never used it. But it's amazing, you'd never guess how many creative ways there are to get it on fire.

And seriously, you get used to cooking without an oven!

The strange bit in the kitchen is rather the fire alarm. When the oven was on fire, it never reacted. Only when we used the toaster (without burning the bread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

id pick on campus most definitly! guy i dated for a while lived in glenomena tis really nice, n not lonely they all get on well. Well five of them do, the sixth guy is really quite strange, never talks to them and has a huge feckin cleaver in the kitchen (is thought it is possibly for his people sandwiches)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭falteringstar

Great so most would recommend campus!

>Being a postgrad it probably will be glenomena, if theyre nice then thats good
    >lack of an oven isnt a big deal as long as there's a microwave
    >But I seriously cant live without at least basic cable!

Website says rent is under 3400, is that accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It was somewhere in the region of 4,200 this year, as far as I know.

I couldn't live on campus. I was vaguely contemplating applying for RA because they're still looking for people, but then I realised that the lack fo oven would mean no freshly baked bread or lasagnes. I hate microwaving food as a rule - ironic seeing as that's how the majority of middle-of-the-road restaurants heat their food, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

>lack of an oven isnt a big deal as long as there's a microwave
    >But I seriously cant live without at least basic cable!

I've neither and I'm still alive and relatively sane

...possibly even saner than before I started college!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You're better off not having any TV in college. I had no TV for months at the beginning of second year and you get so much more done. I now use the TV to keep me company while I write essays... not so good!

• Advertisement
Advertisement