Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommended reading for an Atheist?

• 06-04-2006 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone could recommend me a book? Something along the lines of The Hitchhikers Guide... not too serious or depressing, but something to get me thinking again!

Cheers for any ideas,
    Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hey folks, just wondering if anyone could recommend me a book? Something along the lines of The Hitchhikers Guide... not too serious or depressing, but something to get me thinking again!

Cheers for any ideas,
    Mark.

As said in another thread here somewhere 'Small Gods' by Terry Pratchett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Cheers for any ideas,
    Mark.

The Bible! If you ain't an atheist after that u never will be :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Well if it's SF you're after ,Philip K. Dick's Eye in the Sky starts with one of the most thought provoking scenes I've ever read, when a character wakes up to find himself in a world where things described by the Old Testament are literally happening.

Really would make anyone think long and hard about the morality described in the Old Testament.

Philip Pullman's 'Dark Materials' trilogy also has attracted attention for atheist themes (To say nothing about the Godless Harry Potter!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

how about A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, a great read.
    also
    Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, very funny

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Read Carl Sagan's "Cosmos", if you haven't already.
    If you want a book to amaze and get you thinking again - this is the one.

I'll second "His Dark Materials" too - my favorite books ever.
    They're not funny though, just brilliant.

Lastly, Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End, is also a classic read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

There's one reading list at:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50560797&postcount=64

to which I'd add:

Walter Miller's Canticle for Leibowitz (witty, clever scifi set in a post-apocalyptic world where a shopping list is understood to be the revealed word of god)
    Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (witty, very long, abstruse history).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Yossie

I'd suggest Scepticism Inc by Bo Fowler

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1582340722/qid=1144316550/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_2_4/026-3661231-2236415

Read it nearly ten years ago and really enjoyed it. It's essentially about a shopping trolley with consciousness that sets out to find "meaning/God", along the way he gets involved with "metaphysical betting shops"; two warring Dali lamas; popes with nucs and a love/hate affair between an atheist(love) and a christian zealot(hate).

Advertisement