Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dixons Coverplan should I cancel it and get my money back

Options
  • 06-04-2006 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

Bought an LCD last Thursday night, took 4 year coverplan with it, was told by salesman that dead pixels were covered under it, turns out they weren't, finally got a replacement set (only thanks to a decent store manager), but can't see the point of paying 300 Euros for something thats not going to cover what I bought it for! It says that I have 14 days to cancel the policy and get my monies back.

Has anyone got any use out of these policies or would I be better off getting my monies back?

Thanks

Snake ;)

P.S. Full story on TV on Home Entertainment section if anyones interested!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

14 days limit goes out the window since the bastard lied to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

I dont know much about the life of modern technology these days, but I think you would be unlucky not to get at least 4 years trouble free viewing from a new LCD. In general (I have read) the shops love you to take out insurance, as they make more from that! If you added another 200 to the 300 you could probably buy a small LCD as a spare!

I avoid insurance; you may be unlucky, but on the overall average of all things electronic you buy over say, a 10 yr period, it would probably be better not to buy insurance, even if one of the items in that period kicked the bucket. If you get my drift...!

k

so yes i would cancel it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

He lied and its not use to you so its not worth keeping in fairness, best to get your money back and buy something nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well I rang the coverplan telephone number and they cancelled the plan and said they would send me the check with the refund within 7 days. So I shall wait and see, don't know if I trust them, i.e. Got the first name of the guy who cancelled it for me (Amir), but just have to take his word that he did cancel it, don't want it to go over 14 days and ring them back and this crowd to say, oh sorry no one rang to cancel the plan, your stuck with it! I think I'll ring them on Monday to confirm check has been sent out!

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kiazoe

Coverplan policies from dixons stores (dixons, pcworld, currys) are only really worth it on expensive laptops (due to the extremely expensive replacement and repair costs) and maybe latest hdtv/plasma screens.

The 3year instant replacement pcworld do on sub £100 items, mp3 players, printers/scanners is pretty handy...got a wireless printer cheap with this, when it breaks i'll be going in for a newer better version :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

NOTE: You said when it breaks Kiazoe... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Coverplan policies are a complete rip off they are another way for these companies to make more money from the sale of goods. All new devices come with gurantees and providing the item is not stolen, lost or dropped there is no problem with getting getting work done under gurantee if something goes wrong. If you have house insurance you can get it covered on that free of charge and you can probably get the same cover as the coverplan policies. I always say no and tell staff I'll take my chances without insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The staff in those stores are on commision for the policies they sell.

I've always been of the opinion that the stuff I buy, should it break down after the warranty expires (which in a lot of cases is 2 yrs on electronic goods), that the replacement value by then will be a lower cost than the original cover policy.
    there are of course exceptions to that as mentioned above but for the most part these are catchpennies...

Advertisement