Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Southern" Ireland... do you mean 'Ireland'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

CDfm wrote: »
    that would make Scotland and Wales colonies and their natives aboroginies( it being latin for from that place or something)

Not being picky but The Scottish and Welsh are super sensitive and have you asked any of them personally do they agree with your little plan?

"We on the other hand are just colonised by ****"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Southern Ireland. To differentiate from Northern Ireland. Makes sense to me.

As for teaching English children Irish history? I'm sorry but the history that concerns British culture isn't as focused on the British occupation of Ireland as Irish history is.

OP has typical Irish 'little man' syndrome imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Kold wrote: »

As for teaching English children Irish history? I'm sorry but the history that concerns British culture isn't as focused on the British occupation of Ireland as Irish history is.

The histories of Ireland and Britain are quite tightly interlinked. Given the close proximity of the two countries it would be fairly ignorant if they were'nt taught anything about irish history.

I guess so do the people who thanked his post along with perhaps half of the posters in this thread.

I guess so do the people who thanked his post along with perhaps half of the posters in this thread.

I guess that's what makes it typical.

• Advertisement

Ireland - the little nation that could. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The English version of history taught in schools is a very much like Bob the Builder can we fix it in a very touchy feely way- like it was as positive experience for the Irish.

Can I write the new version

Bob the builder -can we rape and pillage it
    Bob the builder-yes we can

Get over it mate, no one's still got their dick in your ass. They never tell you the horrible sh*t that the Celts got up to.

No nation's history is sunshine and rainbows, what would you have? Every person of British extraction humbly apologise every time an Irish man is about?

I guess that's what makes it typical.
    Its what makes the OP special -we need to nurture him and make him feel good about himself

On the topic of Brittish occupation of Ireland and subsequent independance....

At what stage of school is this taught ? I only did History at Junior Cert level and I can't remember how much 20thcentury history was covered.

Has anyone recently completed History at LC ?

I learned from Dev to Lemass in Leaving Cert history, about 4 years back. Although I believe there's been a new syllabus since.

• Advertisement

No nation's history is sunshine and rainbows, what would you have? Every person of British extraction humbly apologise every time an Irish man is about?

its a start - but i would prefer if the would do my ironing . after all they invented the iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The most northern point in Ireland is in 'Southern Ireland' then. No wonder the country is going to the dogs if this is what the current education system is churning out.

Get over it mate, no one's still got their dick in your ass. They never tell you the horrible sh*t that the Celts got up to.

What horrible s**t did the Celts do?

What horrible s**t did the Celts do?
    I seem to remember something about irregular British forces rioting and burning Cork - the British army mutinying in the Curragh - opening fire on football supporters.

wasnt there also something about ignoring their own parliment and laws and not putting an Irish parliment in place?

The irish question was Kind of bigger than the Lisbon treaty in its day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The histories of Ireland and Britain are quite tightly interlinked. Given the close proximity of the two countries it would be fairly ignorant if they were'nt taught anything about irish history.

I would disagree.

There is nothing that happened in Ireland that affected Britain. Irish history is not much more than an extension of British History, so why teach the history of a foreign country other than to pander to the ego of the many irish who live in England. The only people that bebefitted from British rule in Ireland were a select few, not the general British masses, who went through similar things to the irish in a lot of ways. Irish revolutionaries were deported the same as British Trade Unionsists were. Trade unionists were seen as subversives in a similar way to Irish republicans. Has anyone in Ireland ever heard of the Peterloo Massacre, I doubt it.

I am amazed people get the fact that Ireland is a seperate country confused, I mean if it was the same country there would be hundreds of thousands of Irish people living and working in England, the Irish would all support English football teams and there would be Irish personalities popping up on the BBC and ITV on a daily basis.......

I would disagree.

There is nothing that happened in Ireland that affected Britain. Irish history is not much more than an extension of British History, so why teach the history of a foreign country other than to pander to the ego of the many irish who live in England. The only people that bebefitted from British rule in Ireland were a select few, not the general British masses,

i disagree here. You have a huge immigrant population in the UK.

it evolved into colonialism and the notion of the overseas empire. it is a lesson on how power can corrupt.

you had a permanent army etc in ireland and there is still the northern ireland issue. you also had anti-irish press and popular sentiment. That wasnt all from the select few- there was a big occupation industry built around it..

BTW I dont have a chip on my shoulder about it.

i disagree here. You have a huge immigrant population in the UK.

it evolved into colonialism and the notion of the overseas empire. it is a lesson on how power can corrupt.

you had a permanent army etc in ireland and there is still the northern ireland issue. you also had anti-irish press and popular sentiment. That wasnt all from the select few- there was a big occupation industry built around it..

BTW I dont have a chip on my shoulder about it.

There is a huge immigrant population in Britain, but the Irish are amongst the biggest and always have been. I don't recall too many camp Pakistani TV presenters either :D

Britain had a big army everywhere at one time, in fact one of the biggest was in India which was made up mainly of Irish soldiers.

Britain had a big army everywhere at one time, in fact one of the biggest was in India which was made up mainly of Irish soldiers.

I cant believe that.Lies.

According to a British Government Minister Chicken Tikka is the National Dish of Britain. To us its an exotic foreign food.

I cant believe that.Lies.

According to a British Government Minister Chicken Tikka is the National Dish of Britain. To us its an exotic foreign food.

hhmmm Chicken Tikka Masala, Peshwari Naan and Cobra.

Why do you think Britain colonised the world, its because English food is so crap :D

Not sure why that would lead them to colonise Ireland though, fighting over boiled pork, cabbage and potatos seems a bit daft to me :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Not sure why that would lead them to colonise Ireland though, fighting over boiled pork, cabbage and potatos seems a bit daft to me :rolleyes::D
    Surely you're joking! I love me bacon, cabbage and spuds! :D

I've come across the whole "Southern Ireland" thing a lot over here.
    When I go to a post office with a letter to send to 'The Republic of Ireland' (hee hee), they ask me if it's for 'Southern Ireland'. I say 'No, Republic of Ireland'. They say '...Southern Ireland?', I say 'There's no such place as Southern Ireland!?' and generally look confused, like I don't understand them. Then I say, 'I'd like this to go to the Irish Republic, Éire!'. Then the penny drops and the business is transacted. :)

I do it every time because this does help educate people. I have also had to educate my bosses regarding 'Southern Ireland' and 'The mainland'. Apparently, the last two times they tried to get new business in Ireland their meetings were ended abruptly. I eventually discovered what happened and after laughing very hard I explained that referring to 'Southern Ireland' and 'The mainland' can be a bit like going to a meeting in Germany and asking the people there quite casually, if any of their relatives served in the SS or Gestapo :D LEarning cultural differences is important in Bus. Dev. :)

• Advertisement

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I do it every time because this does help educate people. I have also had to educate my bosses regarding 'Southern Ireland' and 'The mainland'. Apparently, the last two times they tried to get new business in Ireland their meetings were ended abruptly. I eventually discovered what happened and after laughing very hard I explained that referring to 'Southern Ireland' and 'The mainland' can be a bit like going to a meeting in Germany and asking the people there quite casually, if any of their relatives served in the SS or Gestapo :D LEarning cultural differences is important in Bus. Dev. :)

That's a school boy error by your bosses there tbh.

Sure the americans lap it up.

It would be so easy if everyone just used generic terms like Ireland for the Republic and the Occupied Territories for NI. Or is that too PC for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

There is nothing that happened in Ireland that affected Britain.

Hilarious. I already posted on this thread about how you could consider yourself educated on the history of the United Kingdom unless you have learned the history of Ireland which was part of the UK from the Act of Union ( and subject to an English King before that). Go look it up.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    and after laughing very hard I explained that referring to 'Southern Ireland' and 'The mainland' can be a bit like going to a meeting in Germany and asking the people there quite casually, if any of their relatives served in the SS or Gestapo :D LEarning cultural differences is important in Bus. Dev. :)

ROFL - I must remember that one its hilarious:D

What Fratton Fred doesnt want you to know - Fred is Evil - the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QRS-lTa7oE

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That's a school boy error by your bosses there tbh.

Yup, I literally (honestly) facepalmed when I heard the expressions they used...

Ah well :(

asdasd wrote: »
    Hilarious. I already posted on this thread about how you could consider yourself educated on the history of the United Kingdom unless you have learned the history of Ireland which was part of the UK from the Act of Union ( and subject to an English King before that). Go look it up.

How did any of that affect British History, other than the fact that the irish part of the UK got a bit smaller.

I think you have an inflated opinion of Irelands importance to Britain.

I would disagree.

There is nothing that happened in Ireland that affected Britain.

At least we can tell the unionists that the Battle of the Boyne was unimportant.:D

At least we can tell the unionists that the Battle of the Boyne was unimportant.:D

I can honestly say that the battl of the Boyn was never covered in my school history, I think it may have been considered too political to mention, bearing in mind I left school at the height of the troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

asdasd wrote: »
    i went to school in the uk .for a time in the 1950s i also went to school[for 3 months] in donagal-history of ireland in the uk did not exist-when i was at school in ireland the brothers made sure we knew how bad the english have been to the irish-as a 12 year old i felt very much like the little jewish boys must of felt in germany in the 1930s [and i am from a irish family]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement