Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Southern" Ireland... do you mean 'Ireland'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

getz wrote: »
    the latest DNA evidence says different, the average englishman has more celtic in him/her than saxon
    what do you define as the average englishman?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i am talking about me -white with irish ancestors

CDfm wrote: »
    what do you define as the average englishman?

The same way you define the average Irishman, a complete mongral! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The same way you define the average Irishman, a complete mongral! ;)
    That is as fair a discription as you will get .;)

latchyco wrote: »
    That is as fair a discription as you will get .;)

its a serious question -how do you define English - there seems to be doubt.

Look below for a national geographic link saying the gene pool is less diverse than 1000 years ago.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/08/070808-england-dna.html

How did NG come up with their definition - by colour , what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I think English people have some difficulty defining themselves. Some people also can't seem to seperate UK , England, Scotland and Wales.

This is all a bit off topic now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ibuprofen wrote: »
    I think the English might think they're half german themselves even with all the stick they give them. Strange indeed....
    I don't think anyone would argue with that. the Germans are probably the closest modern day race to the English. The english give the Germans a lot of stick, but it differs to the rivalry between, say, England and france.
    But we shouldnt worry about the other countries.they went easy on the other countries -they were there only a hundred years or so.

they were here for 800 years as the tyrannical and evil despotic imperial oppressor that were role models for the nazis.

the other countries should say "we are the lucky ones look what they did to the Irish" and get behind us.

The United In United kingdom should stand for United in shame for what they did to us.

I love this "Feel sorry for us poor paddies" attitude. There were a great many irishfolk who did very nicely out of the British empire. The doesn't fit in with the political spin that has consumed the majority of Irish history though.
    Thanks for your kind words.

See how Fratton Fred refrains from posting - wracked with guilt and shame

guilt and shame about what? apathy would be a better description :)

Look below for a national geographic link saying the gene pool is less diverse than 1000 years ago.

How do you define any nationality? the Italians, Germans, French, Spanish?

No surprise really, when you consider the last major invasion was 1066.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

No surprise really, when you consider the last major invasion was 1066.
    not true the irish have been invading the uk for the 500 years ;

Anything you want, Leo Getz, gettit ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I called Samsung on Saturday which are in Edinburgh and they guy asked me was I in Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland.

I said "neither, Im in the Republic Of Ireland" an actually state as opposed to his opinion. He responded "okay okay, Republic it is so". I could not let that smart answer go.

I said "No, not okay okay, It IS the Republic Of Ireland 26 counties with nothing to do with any other country, Irish borne and Irish bred". His repsonse was backing down to say "thats what everybody calls it here?". "What part of England is that your from then?" "Me, no Im from Scotland."

"Whats the difference?", I said. "Point taken" was his response.

The girl in Dell in India did not understand, she said you must be in either North or the South. I kept saying I was in the midwest, she kept asking midwest of what. Midwest of the Republic of Ireland I kept saying. Her brain was doing flips but she never got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Berty wrote: »
    I called Samsung on Saturday which are in Edinburgh and they guy asked me was I in Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland.

I said "neither, Im in the Republic Of Ireland" an actually state as opposed to his opinion. He responded "okay okay, Republic it is so". I could not let that smart answer go.

I said "No, not okay okay, It IS the Republic Of Ireland 26 counties with nothing to do with any other country, Irish borne and Irish bred". His repsonse was backing down to say "thats what everybody calls it here?". "What part of England is that your from then?" "Me, no Im from Scotland."

The girl in Dell in India did not understand, she said you must be in either North or the South. I kept saying I was in the midwest, she kept asking midwest of what. Midwest of the Republic of Ireland I kept saying. Her brain was doing flips but she never got it.

I can safely say that everyone in the UK knows that it is a long way to Tipperary, it's a long way to go.

cheque please :o

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Your reply to the Indian girl, should have been made to the Edinbrugh guy. And do you know what part of India Andra Prudesh is without looking at a map...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Your reply to the Indian girl, should have been made to the Edinbrugh guy. And do you know what part of India Andra Prudesh is without looking at a map...?

I dont need to know. Im not providing customer service to the country. Im going to dumb myself down just to get through a conversation with anybody.

Do you know where the R503 is in Ireland without looking at a map? Im sure not because you do not need to know.

It would be common sense to know about what country you are dealing with on customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I dont need to know. Im not providing customer service to the country. Im going to dumb myself down just to get through a conversation with anybody.

Do you know where the R503 is in Ireland without looking at a map? Im sure not because you do not need to know.

It would be common sense to know about what country you are dealing with on customer service.

How do you know she's only taking calls from Ireland? She may be taking calls from all over the wrold, and Ireland's really not that important.

And when I replied that I didn't know where the R503 is, are you going to sign and give me verbal abuse?

I used to get this crap when I did directory enquiries. A small bogside village in the middle of nowhere and it was my fault for not knowing the location of every little plot of land in the country. I don't know if they actually went ahead and ring Joe Duffy, but I really really really don't care. Nor did I try particualrly hard to help them.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

And when I replied that I didn't know where the R503
    Its from Thurles going West of Limerick City. Its worth knowing if you want to avoid Limerick.

I think English people have some difficulty defining themselves. Some people also can't seem to seperate UK , England, Scotland and Wales.
    Good Man Alan - here is our very own DNA expert saying it doesnt include Ireland.

And do you know what part of India Andra Prudesh is without looking at a map...?

Its not on the R503 - thats what they tell them in India - dont complain or you will have to work in Limerick. Poor girl -thats stress.

I could forgive the Indian woman. Is there anywhere else in the world that there's a "north" prefix for a country but not a "south" ?

Fair play on pwning the Scottish fella :p
    Mind you when Scottish peopple say it it doesn't bother me that much but when you get blind iggnorance from an English person and then they accompany thatwith arrogance it really grinds my gears

getz wrote: »
    not true the irish have been invading the uk for the 500 years ;

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

the dolphins were monkeys

poetic line of truth

I could forgive the Indian woman. Is there anywhere else in the world that there's a "north" prefix for a country but not a "south" ?
    During the cold war, East Germans used to call their part "Deutsche Demokratische Republik" and the other part West Deutschland.

West Germans used to call their part Bundesrepublik Deutschland and the other part Ost Deutschland.

Both sides had a superiority complex over the names of their countries.
    Does the Irish Republic feel superior to Norm Iron?

I don't think anyone would argue with that. the Germans are probably the closest modern day race to the English. The english give the Germans a lot of stick, but it differs to the rivalry between, say, England and france.

the political spin that has consumed the majority of Irish history though.

How do you define any nationality? the Italians, Germans, French, Spanish?

Fratton Fred - the English give the Germans stick - news for you - the Germans have a car industry.

Political spin - what exactly - under British Direct Rule between 1840 to 1910 the Irish Population decreased from 8.? million to 3m. Where was the other 5m on holiday in Cornwall.

How do you define any nationality? the Italians, Germans, French, Spanish Is this a quiz - NOT ENGLISH and never invaded us

How do you know she's only taking calls from Ireland? She may be taking calls from all over the wrold, and Ireland's really not that important.

And when I replied that I didn't know where the R503 is, are you going to sign and give me verbal abuse?

I used to get this crap when I did directory enquiries. A small bogside village in the middle of nowhere and it was my fault for not knowing the location of every little plot of land in the country. I don't know if they actually went ahead and ring Joe Duffy, but I really really really don't care. Nor did I try particualrly hard to help them.

Irrelavant how many country she is dealing with. As I told her not Im not in the North or the South of her make believe country, she should have accepted I was correct and would probably know what country I am in. She then offered me a UK phone number to call and when I asked for the Irish equivalent she said they are the same number because they are from the same area of the EMEA(European Middle East & Asia) for Dell. When I told her that Dell is based in Ireland(amongst others) they must have an Irish number, she said they were not based in Ireland and were based in the UK, somewhere. Now, I worked in Dell so I know it exists and my father gets up each day and goes to work in Dell..........................................or does he??? :confused:

Now, where are you getting the idea about me signing and giving you verbal abuse. Chill, this is AH after all. ;) :rolleyes: That was an uncalled for and very defensive comment to make.

Finally, thank god you say, directory enquiries some times can nearly accuse you of making up companies when they cannot find them. Are you sure thats the name of the shop. I once asked for John Moloneys Shop in XX Street, Ennis, Co Clare and I was told she could not find it and could I tell her who owns the shop. AND THEN, after not being able to find it actually has the strength to say "is there anything else I can help you with". You haven't helped me with anything yet and even though you could not find it, it still costs me money to talk to you. *Sigh*

There's a large number of spanish descendants in the west, part of the spanish armarda that was sent to invade England, got lost and landed near Galway, and stayed!

Thats why there are so many cars around these here parts with the siver bull stuck to the boot.

It all makes sense now. :D

How do you define any nationality? the Italians, Germans, French, Spanish Is this a quiz - NOT ENGLISH and never invaded us
    There's a large number of spanish descendants in the west, part of the spanish armarda that was sent to invade England, got lost and landed near Galway, and stayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Untrue

The only legal term recognised by both the UK and Irish governments when referring to the Archipeligo is 'these Islands.' There are many precedents for geographical terms (e.g. Benelux, Central Europe, North America etc.) being legally and politically recognised - the 'British Isles' is not one of them. The term is not used in legislation in either jurisdiction.

The term 'British' Isles is not purely geographic no matter how hard one may attempt to protest that it is - it has geo-political implications. Ireland is NOT a British Isle, however, it is a part of the same archipeligo as Great Britain. The term 'British' Isles is unacceptable when referring to Ireland under any circumstances; whether they be purely geographic, political, legal etc
    unacceptable to who? you, ok then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

On the point:

What defines english.

I know alot of people in my generation (in my 20's) who's parents went over to work in england, had a child while they were working over there and then came back.

So these people my age, were born in england to Irish parents and have lived in Ireland nearly their whole lives.

These people are really ashamed of being born in england. It's awful to see. I know one guy who when he told me he was born in england said 'don't tell anybody that'. They actually really hate the fact that they were born in england. Their own parents would say 'the blo*dy english' and they would say 'but we were born in england' and the parents would say 'that doesnt count'.
    I know these people loathe that they were born in england. It made me think, Was it really fair for irish people to go to england, have a child and then bring them back to a country that detests the english. Some of these children would have had an english accent at the time, (I was in school with a good few) and i know they were mercilessly hounded into the ground about being english..

It really blurs the boundary of what english is, so many irish people went to england, how can irish people still hate the english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Just so you know - There is no country in the world called "The Republic of Ireland". Republic of Ireland is the description of the 26 counties, not the name. The name is Éire, or Ireland in English.

And I certainly wouldn't subscribe to the North implying that you were any less Irish. When someone asks me if I'm from Southern Ireland on the phone in work, I respond to them that I'm from "Ireland". They generally don't step beyond that.

So before you go on a tangent on the phone to someone who doesn't mean any harm by it - at least know what your state's name is.

• Advertisement

the bolt wrote: »
    unacceptable to who? you, ok then.
    +1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement