Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Divsion?

• 06-04-2006 4:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm not a huge boxing fan, is it just my opinion or is the heavyweight division really **** right now.
    What happened to the days of Bowe, Tyson, Bruno, Holyfield, Lewis and so on? And those classic fights?
    Maybe if George Foreman made another comeback he could win a world title!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I agree heavyweight boxing is pants nowadays. The lighter weight divisions is where its at with fighters like pbf, pacquaio and Hatton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

I've never been a fan of the heavies.
    Too much of the 'bullyboy' about most of them.
    They're not as skillful.
    They're not as dedicated/disciplined.
    They're not as exciting.
    But it has to be said a good heavyweight fight (a rare thing) gets you going. When Klitchko and Lewis were laying into each other I was lapping it up and was disgusted at the finish, purely because it denied us of a more decisive finish in what was a very, very finely balanced affair at that stage.

The current crop are poor to say the least, but it's not unusual for there to be a lull talent-wise in the heavies, if you look back through the decades. It's just that usually there was only one champ, so it didn't look quite as bad.

Having said all that, it seems Lyahkovic/Brewster was supposed to be a cracker last weekend, so it doesn't take great fighters to have a great fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The division is poor at the moment but the Brewster v Lyakhovich fight was the best heavyweight fight in a long time and there's going to be a rematch :) .
    Apparently Brewster suffered a detached retina in the 1st round , which makes the rematch all the more interesting .

The best weight division is Flyweight , all we need is some unification fights there . So many good fights : Arce , Darchinyan , Wongjongkam , Narvaez , Parra and that's only naming the title holders there's lots more .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 chipper

megadodge wrote:
    I've never been a fan of the heavies.
    Too much of the 'bullyboy' about most of them.
    They're not as skillful.
    They're not as dedicated/disciplined.
    They're not as exciting.

I agree with most of what you say, but for me Holyfield's fights were amazing (most of) and he is ALL of the above, except "bullyboy" :)

But Holyfield wasn't a 'natural' heavy in my eyes, despite bulking up to more than a lot of previous champs.

He fought in the Olympics at light-heavy and then made his name in the Cruiser division.

He had to have the discipline to make weight, which is a huge attribute in my eyes and very often ignored by many critics.

I'd definitely have to agree about the flyweights.
    There are some serious fights to be made there and
    this weekend we even have Arce/Alvarez, which I think will
    be a war and a very hard fight for Arce.
    Big Ears reckons he'll stop Alvarez. If he does I'll be surprised but impressed.
    Close points win for Arce or cuts stoppage for Alvarez.
    Don't rule out a DQ of Alvarez either, he's dirty and with Arce cut-prone he could get 'careless' with the head.

I also heard Darchinyan/Narvaez is in the pipeline.
    It's looking good for the fans !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Big Ears

megadodge wrote:
    Big Ears reckons he'll stop Alvarez. If he does I'll be surprised but impressed.
    Close points win for Arce or cuts stoppage for Alvarez.
    Don't rule out a DQ of Alvarez either, he's dirty and with Arce cut-prone he could get 'careless' with the head.

Arce's WBC interim title wasn't on the line as Alvarez didn't make the weight(he came in at 115 , and the limit is 112 . Arce weighed 111)
    Looks like I was right , Arce stopped Alvarez in the 6th round with a body shot .
    He threw a huge amount of punches and just wore down Alvarez , who was blocking many of the punches and countering .
    It was a great fight and about 1,000 punches were thrown even though it only got to the 6th .Arce is the real deal

Good call Big Ears on the Arce fight.
    I'm not going to do the usual message board excuse-making and say how Alvarez was past it etc.
    Very, very impressive win for Arce.
    Hopefully this is just the start of a lot of potentially excellent fights in the flies.

Advertisement