Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

megane

Options
  • 06-04-2006 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi just bought a Renault megane 2003 with 17,000 miles on it, all seems fine but for the brakes which make a lot of noise when pressed. It’s not a steel again steel sound but more like skating sound, I went back to the dealer and was told it is normal but I am not happy with it.

So I have looked in other forums and see a hold list of megane problems and now regret buying the car.
    So is this brake problem "normal" or am I been made a full of?

mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sounds like the pads are knackered. Get them replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

Same thing happened me last time my car was serviced, I had the brake pad changed but not the actual disk, so the older disk had some marks on it from before and the new pad was making noise for a few weeks until they "wore in to each other". When you went back to the dealer did he actually check the brakes or just tell you it was normal. I was worried about mine at first too so i brought it into kwik fit on a quiet day and the guy took a look and said it was grand, only took 5 mins and didnt cost anything, im sure a local mechanic would do the same.

The bottom line is if your worried get them checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

it's a renault main dealer and service guy went out in my car to test it and said it was fine and that at 17000 miles it wouldn't need new pads.
    I am no macanic but to me a car this new with 17000 miles should not make noise evertime I brake. I don't think the pads are worn it's just they seem to like grown if i brake hard so much so a mate of mine in the car last night said what the f**k was that.

mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had a similar problem with my megane, which was under warranty. I brough it in a couple of times and they said it is a design fault and they were waiting for a 'fix' to come from France.
    So, as my warranty period drew closer, I called their bluff saying that I knew an ex-Renault salesman who told me if they replaced the pads & discs it would fix it. Obviously the dealer denied this, but I left the keys on the counter and told them to keep it till it was fixed, (It was all very dramatic).
    Anyway, they replaced the pads, FOC, and I have put up 10K on them since and no noise since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A work collegue has a 2004 Megane and he had a similar problem when he bought the car. Apparently this is a design problem with the brake pads, they were replaced by Renault under warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

Well I am just back from the dealer again and I am now driving a scenic, I told them I was not happy with it and wanted it sorted so they went out again in it and said they would keep it in till this evening and change the pads and other parts and see what that does.

All I can think is, if there is a fault in the breaking system that some how my 2003 car slipped pass them or the owner just didn't do enough driving to notice it.

Well I will let you know how I get on later.

Mark

Advertisement