Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Minor," Crash repair - Call out repair services

• 06-04-2006 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

Can anyone reccomend a "minor" crash repair.

I introduced the passenger wing of my car into a pillar while parking yesterday.
    Outcome is 3 goodsized scratchs along the wing, a minor dent beside the keyhole and rear passenger wheel arch slightly dented and scratched

I called my local mechanic who straight away quoted €500ish without even seeing it.

To my untrained eye it looks fairly minor and I could learn to live with it and as the car is old enough I'm not willing to spend big bucks on it, I did a search and can find nothing about call out dent repairs, anyone got any info and a ballpark figure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Hi there,

I dont know much about cars really but I did the exact same thing to my car last year while backing out of my driveway.

I tore the whole passenger side wing of my car badly dented and scratched and I got it repaired for 170e.

I went to a crowd called Auto repairs in Limerick good job they did and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Thanks Jood,

€170 is very reasonable and I'd definitely pay that.
    Should have stated that I'm is South Dublin though.

But for the difference between 500 & 170 I'd have a think about it.

How long did it take to complete the work?

I gave it in on a Wednesday and I collected it Saturday morning and the paint and all was dry he said I could've gone through a car wash that day if I wanted.

As much as I'd love to tell my boss I need 3 days off for "Automotive issues" I think I'll need a Dublin place!

I know I dont think it would wash somehow but I'd say there's loads around your area who do those kind of repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If its just the wing and wing mirror...

Why not buy a wing mirror yourself (theyre only about 40euro depending on car) and fit it. Then fit the wing mirror yourself also.

Then bring it to a spray shop.. Should get it sprayed for about 100euro

JohnCleary wrote:
    If its just the wing and wing mirror...

Why not buy a wing mirror yourself (theyre only about 40euro depending on car) and fit it. Then fit the wing mirror yourself also.

Then bring it to a spray shop.. Should get it sprayed for about 100euro

The wing mirror escaped unscathed, main damage is the dent on the passenger door and wheel arch. Also the scratches are slightly indented as well so possibly need some work.

Would this treatable by a call out company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A-Trak wrote:
    The wing mirror escaped unscathed, main damage is the dent on the passenger door and wheel arch. Also the scratches are slightly indented as well so possibly need some work.

Would this treatable by a call out company?

It doesn't really sound like it would, TBH. Places like dentmaster, chips away etc are great for simple dents where the paint hasn't broken, stone chips etc. Where the metal is actually creased or scored, though, you'll probably need a panel beater. How old is the car? You could just touch in the damaged paint and live with it, putting the money you save now towards a new car at some stage.

Thanks anan1,

Fairly sound advice that.

Thing is that the dent it's self is just that, metal is not scored or creased and paint is ok.
    The scratches are only slightly indented but have cut the paint pretty deep.

I could live with the slight indentation where the scratchs are and the dent it's self in the door looks fixable.

I'll post a picture to see is treatable by the mobile repair guys or off to the panel beaters with me, (as I'm very possibly underestimating what some people might call a "slight dent!")

As above guys, this is my handiwork of my deep affection towards pillars.

Sorry about the quality, cameraphone in work.

Any opinions on call out service or panel beater?

• Advertisement

Sent the above pics off to http://www.carcraft.ie

Website looks ok and they state they can fix "minor panel damage" on call out.

They're not the swiftest in replying though.

Can anyone reccomend them and or advise can they fix the damage based on the attached pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

A-Trak wrote:
    Sent the above pics off to http://www.carcraft.ie

Website looks ok and they state they can fix "minor panel damage" on call out.

They're not the swiftest in replying though.

Can anyone reccomend them and or advise can they fix the damage based on the attached pics?

Just do a search on here about carcraft - they are good in my opinion and my experiences

They don't sit around all day at a PC - funnily enough there in the workshop fixing cars, mainly Mercedes from Annsley around the corner at the minute! Give them time to reply - usually late evening.

I am not sure if they will be able/willing to fix your damage, I think a panel beater is your best bet - or if the metal is stretched/creased, a replacement door is the better option.:o

Cheers ciarsd,

Did a search on them and plenty of delighted customers so here's hoping my ding falls into there ability to fix.
    I think a panel beater is your best bet - or if the metal is stretched/creased, a replacement door is the better option.

From looking at the pictures d'ya reckon the damage is that bad it'd require a whole new wing / door (my wallet just retched when I typed that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

A-Trak wrote:
    Cheers ciarsd,

Did a search on them and plenty of delighted customers so here's hoping my ding falls into there ability to fix.

From looking at the pictures d'ya reckon the damage is that bad it'd require a whole new wing / door (my wallet just retched when I typed that)

I'd imagine the rear quarter will pop out and be ready for paint repair (rub down, prime, spray, lacquer)

As for the damage around the door and keyhole - it looks a bit rough from the pictures, but it's very hard to determine from the photo as you can imagine. Fingers crossed Shane and the gang at carcraft can see you right.

Better luck next time against the pillar - funny they always win either way :o

:cool:

Thanks again ciarsd.

I'll post up pics of the repair if the carcraft guys can take it on (hopefully.)

(BTW was also recommneded to use another company called chips away and was told to ask for Justin, who judging by other threads now works at carcraft!)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭BabyWipes

Jood wrote: »
    Hi there,

I dont know much about cars really but I did the exact same thing to my car last year while backing out of my driveway.

I tore the whole passenger side wing of my car badly dented and scratched and I got it repaired for 170e.

I went to a crowd called Auto repairs in Limerick good job they did and all.

Was it this company you used?

http://www.goldenpages.ie/Crash_Repairs/Align_Auto_Repair_Centre/IE_13632125_9999_1001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

BabyWipes wrote: »
    Please read the charter and don't resurrect old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement