Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS3 to cost between €500-600

• 06-04-2006 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63768

And I'm assuming that we'll get an additional €10 recycling charge on top of that. If the machine doesn't really outshine the 360 (in terms of games, I have no interest in a Blu-Ray player) than I won't be investing in this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

This is being misreported - he didn't give such a specific range. Check out Jeux-France's updated article:

http://www.jeux-france.com/news15148_la-playstation-3-autour-de-500-euros.html

Basically he was asked by the interviewer if 500 dollars (not euros) was the right price for PS3, and he replied that $500 would be cheap given the technology and relative to other Blu-ray players that'll be well over $1000, but expensive compared to typical game consoles that retail for well below $500. He concluded that PS3 will probably be somewhere between these two points (well below $500 and $1000+) - which really doesn't tell us anything at all.

I'd be expecting €499, easily, though. And I'd be willing to pay that at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I haven't seen anything yet to justify paying €500 for one at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

the xbox was what 300 at launch but then u had to buy the wireless controller and play and charge kit and the hard drive etc...

only a lucky few got all of this for €400..

i wasn't one of them lucky ones so i paid 300 for the xbox,100 for the hard drive and say 60 to 70 for the controller..

so thats almost the same price as the ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

jcoote wrote:
    i wasn't one of them lucky ones so i paid 300 for the xbox,100 for the hard drive and say 60 to 70 for the controller..

so thats almost the same price as the ps3
    So buying a 360 the most expensive way from shops is €40 less than the PS3 is rumoured to retail for. Sounds fair. :confused:

• Advertisement

GamesIndustry.biz have posted a correction article also:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=15937
    Comments made by Sony Computer Entertainment France boss Georges Fornay which appeared to indicate the price point for PlayStation 3 have been misinterpreted and do not allude to the price of the system, the company has told GamesIndustry.biz.
    The SCE France boss' discussion of the pricing on French radio station Europe 1 was focused on the fact that the PS3 would be priced very competitively compared to other Bluray products if it were to emerge at $500, but that this price point is well above the range of other game console products, according to Sharples.

"Mr Fornay explained that, with BD and HD functionality, PS3 at this price would be cheap for such functionality, but that current video games machines were significantly below this price," Sharples told GamesIndustry.biz.

"At no time did he suggest or indicate a specific price point or price range for PS3, and any reports that he did so are incorrect.

"He summarised by saying that PS3 would be expensive when one looked at the current price of a video games machine, at far below 500 Euros, but extremely good value when looking at the BD and HD technology inside," he concluded.
    When the company talks about "current video games machines," it is almost certainly excluding the Xbox 360 from the equation, and talking specifically about the PSP and PS2 platforms - with the implication being that the pricing will fall somewhere well above their price points (between 150 and 180 Euro) but well below the pricing of Bluray devices (between 600 and 800 Euro).

That's an enormous range, of course, but it does leave open the potential for the PS3 to launch at the 400 Euro price point - exactly the same space that was occupied by the Xbox 360 premium pack when it arrived late last year.[/QUOTE
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    So buying a 360 the most expensive way from shops is €40 less than the PS3 is rumoured to retail for. Sounds fair. :confused:

If PS3 was only $40 more than 360, it'd be a bloody steal. It won't be though - my bet is €500, and 360 may well price drop by Xmas. I think it'll be well worth the premium though - add up the cost of all the accessories for 360 to even try and match PS3, and you'd be well well past €500. Even then, you'd fall short of matching all of PS3's functionality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

LookingFor wrote:
    If PS3 was only $40 more than 360, it'd be a bloody steal. It won't be though - my bet is €500, and 360 may well price drop by Xmas. I think it'll be well worth the premium though - add up the cost of all the accessories for 360 to even try and match PS3, and you'd be well well past €500. Even then, you'd fall short of matching all of PS3's functionality.
    I'm sorry, but what? What accessories do you need to buy for the 360 to "match" the PS3? How would you be still falling short of the PS3 functionality?

By the time the PS3 comes out, the 360 will have dropped in price significantly (I think the premium pack will fall to about the price of the core pack at launch) and the list of games will be far more impressive than the PS3. Mammy and Daddy going to buy their child a system for Christmas or whatever are going to pick the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Well Cor, you'd need to buy 3 of it's 20GB HDDs ;)

Cabelo wins ;)

corblimey wrote:
    I'm sorry, but what? What accessories do you need to buy for the 360 to "match" the PS3? How would you be still falling short of the PS3 functionality?

Start with a bigger HDD. They don't exist yet, so you can't match PS3 there, yet. But HDDs start at €100 on 360, right?

Add wifi - €100.

Add the HD-DVD add-on - €???. It'll likely be pretty expensive. And HD-DVD does fall short of Blu-ray, for now, in terms of support ;)

Meanwhile I'm still lacking as much IO options as there are on PS3 (more of everything - USB ports, wireless device support, the removeable media support), still lacking digital video-out, not to mention dual-video out, still lacking the capability to run a desktop OS on it (PS3 HDDs will come with Linux), still lacking digital audio out, still lacking the kind of PSP connectivity it will offer (remote streaming of media to your PSP etc.), still lacking SACD etc. etc. Oh, and still lacking the power of PS3 (360 does an admirable job keeping up with its GPU, but the CPUs are different leagues IMHO). And there may be even more to be revealed as we get closer to launch (current rumours suggest even Tivo-like functionality on PS3, with PSP being able to act as a remote controller, even over the internet, to set up recording schedules, and to then even watch your programs remotely, if you want).

Not to mention just the fact that it's a Playstation, and all that implies in terms of support, particularly Japanese support, and diversity of the library, backwards compatability etc.

Now I fully expect you now might turn around and conveniently say "well I don't care about all this extra functionality I can't get on my 360!", but a) I think that's white lie if you own a HDTV and b) some of us do care about that functionality, quite a lot. I've been waiting for HD movies, for example, for over a year now.
    corblimey wrote:
    By the time the PS3 comes out, the 360 will have dropped in price significantly (I think the premium pack will fall to about the price of the core pack at launch) and the list of games will be far more impressive than the PS3.

We'll see about the price drop, it may or may not happen. 360 is committed to achieving profitability by a certain point next year, which might scupper those chances. It may be more likely they'll bundle in more with the system and maintain the price.

As for lineups, all I see so far is a bunch of poor current-gen ports, and games I can buy on my PC, pretty much. And that looks even less attractive to me when 360 versions of games are sitting on the shelves at up to €30+ more compared to their PC or current-gen versions. That'll be a problem for PS3 too, the looking at what's coming for both, I see far more on PS3 that interests me.

I might catch some flak for this, and I probably will, but about the only thing that's really keeping me interested in 360 is Halo3. Xbox's biggest saving grace asides from Halo was the fact that multiplatform games looked so much better on it, IMHO. It had quite a few games, particularly PC ports, that didn't come to the other systems, simply because it wasn't reasonable to port them due to their relative lack of power. That made the investment worthwhile for me, alongside of Halo. With 360, that advantage is totally gone, and in fact, swings somewhat in PS3's favour. If PS2 had been as or more powerful than Xbox, and offered the best looking versions of games, I doubt I'd have ever picked up a Xbox, TBH - and that's pretty much the situation we're in now with PS3.
    corblimey wrote:
    Mammy and Daddy going to buy their child a system for Christmas or whatever are going to pick the 360.

"Mammy and Daddy" are still more likely to pick up a PS2 this Xmas, TBH. €300 is not mass market.

LookingFor wrote:
    Meanwhile I'm still lacking as much IO options as there are on PS3 (more of everything - USB ports, wireless device support, the removeable media support), still lacking digital video-out, not to mention dual-video out, still lacking the capability to run a desktop OS on it (PS3 HDDs will come with Linux), still lacking digital audio out, still lacking the kind of PSP connectivity it will offer (remote streaming of media to your PSP etc.), still lacking SACD etc. etc. Oh, and still lacking the power of PS3 (360 does an admirable job keeping up with its GPU, but the CPUs are different leagues IMHO). And there may be even more to be revealed as we get closer to launch (current rumours suggest even Tivo-like functionality on PS3, with PSP being able to act as a remote controller, even over the internet, to set up recording schedules, and to then even watch your programs remotely, if you want).
    Cause I can really see myself needing to plug in all my memory cards into my console.
    There's SFA quality difference between VGA and HDMI, and I can't see the dual video out being used for anything useful.
    We still don't know how much can be done with the linux they give us, doubt they will be shipping with a fully fledged desktop OS.
    360 has digital audio out
    Can't find anything to support the steam media to psp function, but if it is true why would I want to watch something on a 4inch screen when I have to be close to my PS3 sitting under my HDTV
    Where did you draw the conclusion that the amazing cell:rolleyes: will be so much faster than the 360 cpu.
    And there will be more revealed for the 360 soon as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

Ciaran500 wrote:

yeah but the ps3 already has the hard disc and other features the xbox doesn't even after buying the extra's does it not??

Ciaran500 wrote:
    There's SFA quality difference between VGA and HDMI, and I can't see the dual video out being used for anything useful.

And sweet FA TVs have native VGA support. It's true that lots of TVs don't have HDMI either, but all new ones should have it, whereas VGA isn't becoming any more supported than it currently is - it's really only useful if you want to use a computer monitor, and HDMI->DVI does the same thing for most new monitors.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    We still don't know how much can be done with the linux they give us, doubt they will be shipping with a fully fledged desktop OS.

If it's enough to allow people to program for it, that's all I need to know. And I think it will be, given what PS2 Linux was for, and given Sony's comments on it.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Can't find anything to support the steam media to psp function, but if it is true why would I want to watch something on a 4inch screen when I have to be close to my PS3 sitting under my HDTV

You don't, you can do it over the net as long as your upload speed is sufficient. But even at home, it could be useful if someone else is watching something on the TV and you want to watch something different..
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Where did you draw the conclusion that the amazing cell:rolleyes: will be so much faster than the 360 cpu.

The power of independent thought and a post-grad in software :p There's a number of comments from developers out there along the same lines anyway, if you don't want to believe me. Or simply look at what Cell is being used for in some of the games shown at GDC (the level of physics, things like volumetric software ray-tracing etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I agree with the above post despite being decidedly Rev primed this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

corblimey wrote:

By the time the PS3 comes out, the 360 will have dropped in price significantly (I think the premium pack will fall to about the price of the core pack at launch) and the list of games will be far more impressive than the PS3. Mammy and Daddy going to buy their child a system for Christmas or whatever are going to pick the 360.

as mentioned, the HDDx3 is one, the ability to have 7 or so controllers and other "devices" etc.

and mummy and daddy don't just go buying little johnny the cheapest console. otherwise gamecube's would be flying off the shelves like no one's business. mummy and daddy go with what johnny asked for. given playstations history, and launch title list (little johnny's going to love a bit of ratchet & clank) i'd say ps3 is a good bet to keep little johnny smiling at christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The dual video out is the biggest reason ever to buy a console for me anyway!!!!! I hate playing games on my own, i enjoy the social experience

Finally if playing a game of two player you both get a screen each rather than both having to look at half a tv. That is genius and MS were fools not to implement it.

Vegeta wrote:
    The dual video out is the biggest reason ever to buy a console for me anyway!!!!! I hate playing games on my own, i enjoy the social experience

Finally if playing a game of two player you both get a screen each rather than both having to look at half a tv. That is genius and MS were fools not to implement it.
    http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/P5160118.html

Seriously doubt we will see many, if any games that will let you have multiplayer on two seperate screens, unless they dramatically the detail for it. Besides do you have two HD screens sitting side by side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I want a games console, not a Sony "media hub" or a new sub-par PC.

€500+ for a games console? Not for me, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ciaran500 wrote:

Seriously doubt we will see many, if any games that will let you have multiplayer on two seperate screens, unless they dramatically the detail for it. Besides do you have two HD screens sitting side by side?

I think we will se loads of games, cos in fairness splitting a screen in 7 for the 7 controllers is kinda silly

Don't have two HDTVs, but do have lots of computer monitors that'll do just fine if the PS3 will support VGA cables.

And I don't mind if they reduce the detail one bit, Oblivion on hte 360 could have used some detail reduction to avoid the terrible slide show like frame rate issues. Graphics impress me for like 10 minutes and then its gameplay that takes over

Picture the racing game in the link you included, instead of splitting a 2 player game horizontally split it vertically and hey presto

Vegeta wrote:
    Picture the racing game in the link you included, instead of splitting a 2 player game horizontally split it vertically and hey presto
    But that racing game is one scene scaled two monitors. Very different to having to render two seperate scenes.

Ciaran500 wrote:

It needn't be two HDTVs. You could connect a monitor via DVI or possibly VGA for example, or any old TV via the AV multi-out.

And it's true, rendering full screen to two screens might require a reduction in detail, or perhaps some resolution. But I'd easily trade off some resolution against the ability to play multiplayer on 2 screens. If you divided 720p by 2, you'd still have more resolution than current standard def games. Not to mention that some games may be able to handle it without any reduction, if they're not exactly pushing the system in the first place.

Two screens could be interesting for other functionality also, beyond games. From what Sony said at E3 last year, you'll be able to browse and playback media while playing a game, and if this could be done on a seperate screen, it could allow someone else to use your PS3 while you're playing a game (e.g. to watch a movie or browse photos etc.).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

corblimey wrote:

I don't know about that. Yes, 360 will drop in price for Christmas to look more attractive, but we are now pushing 5 months after 360s launch and the PS2 is still outselling 360 and Xbox.

Furthermore, the PS2 has been around since well before Xbox and is still outselling it. The lifespan of the Sony machine seems to be much better and as such does represent value for money - even if a lot of adoptors got a PS2 because it had immediate DVD playing ability.

Perhaps the same thing can happen with BluRay, however, but I think it less likely as DVD is mass market now. It will be many years for BluRay to take predominance over DVD, and as with PS2, the lifespan of the machine is probably for 5 yrs or so.

Personally:
    1. Price of games: absolutely ****ing ridiculous. There is nothing that grabs me personally (except maybe Tomb Raider now and Oblivion, but again, not for the sake of €80 each!).

2. Selection of games: I tend to be more of a fan of Jap games than US games, and as yet I am not bothering. I am by no means a hardcore 12hrs/day gamer, but I like the strangness of some games and NFL/NHL/Fifa/Halo simply doesn't do it for me.

3. Price of console: no matter PS3 is 400, 500 or 600, it will sell by the bucket load, in whatever currency. Playstation is the Microsoft Office of consoles ( a very bad marketing ploy however!), and simply the standard in so so many homes. WHen PS3 launches, people waiting for 360 price drops will look at PS3 and see "Next Generation". Beardy RPG Oblivion aside, MS are going to have to swing some pretty big and *good* *key* games.

Sony could stop selling PS2s and PS1s for the next 2 years, not launch PS3 and still have more consoles and branding in people's homes by 2009. 360 is climbing an uphill battle, but I would like to see the FF7, the Wipeout, the MGS, the Tomb Raider 1, Gran Turismo and so on.

COuld anyone tell me, what should I be looking forward to on 360 the way I looked forward to GT, FF, Wipeout, MGS and so on? I still don't know, it's all FPS and Sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

COuld anyone tell me, what should I be looking forward to on 360 the way I looked forward to GT, FF, Wipeout, MGS and so on? I still don't know, it's all FPS and Sport.

Well there's tekken 6, Devil may cry 4, the next grand theft auto, killzone.wait oh thats ps3, isn't it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I doubt it will retail at anything less then €550 tbh, and €600 is still a really low price for what sony are "apprently" putting into this puppy, either way, im getting a new gaming rig soon, already have a 360, so no thanks. specially now that the price is gonna be pretty huge.

4Xcut wrote:
    Well there's tekken 6, Devil may cry 4, the next grand theft auto, killzone.wait oh thats ps3, isn't it ;)

Ghost recon, oblivion, dead rising, halo3, frame city killer, the next gta (afaik, rockstar still hold to right to there 6 month sony exclusive, then it will prolly make its way to 360) final fantasy, and a ton of rpg titles from bioware too.

Only game thats worth buying a ps3 for atm, is metal gear. But for me, the 360 offers much more, and with a ps3 price tag of €500++ i dont think ill be investing at launch. But im sure metal gear will force me to shell out for it eventually. :o

Ghost recon, oblivion, dead rising, halo3, frame city killer, the next gta (afaik, rockstar still hold to right to there 6 month sony exclusive, then it will prolly make its way to 360) final fantasy, and a ton of rpg titles from bioware too.

You were going so well until you mention Frame City Killer ;) Seriously, that game looks pretty bad.

But the problem with most of these games is that..they're not exclusive. Also, Final Fantasy XI is on 360, but a question mark hangs over whether it'll get any more - they're a lock for PS3, that's for sure.

Anyway, this is beginning to smell terribly of a 360 vs PS3 debate, and I'm sorry to have sparked and or fueled that. Back on topic..PS3 price. Meh, there is no news here. Misreported. But do start saving :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

ive got 600 saved up for the PS3, all my savings, was gonna buy 360 but am gonna buy dell laptop for 400, is that a good choice over the 360 as i dont have a hd tv?

shortys94 wrote:
    ive got 600 saved up for the PS3, all my savings, was gonna buy 360 but am gonna buy dell laptop for 400, is that a good choice over the 360 as i dont have a hd tv?

i had money saved up and bought a new graphics card and RAM to beef up my PC, i'm delighted with those purchases. tbh you have the summer to save some extra cash. it's a long old wait for ps3...

i know but was the laptop a good choice over the xbox, it my first laptop and i know its pretty basic but all i want it for is watchin dvds, music, web, and maybe light counter strike:P

I hope the PS3 costs around 600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I know it's been said before but I'll say it again, it all comes down to the games. I think this E3 will reveal a lot. I don't care if the PS3 costs €600-€700, if they can match the visual game quality that they touted at last years E3 then I'll buy it. If, however, it turns out that the games are a of a much lower quality in real time then Sony can go......well you get the idea. I hate it when they do this kind of cr@p. They did it with the PS2, they better not do it again with the PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

shortys94 wrote:
    ...that a good choice over the 360 as i dont have a hd tv?
    well as you didnt get a 360 because you dont have a HDTV, but you do realise that it will be the same problem for the ps3?
    shortys94 wrote:
    I hope the PS3 costs around 600
    you HOPE it will cost around 600? i hope it will be alot less :o

lol, yea but i will be getting PS3, and il have hdtv by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Well it's going to be interesting to see what happens if PS3 is €600 and the 360 is over €200 less. That's a few games and bigger shelf space by then.

The advertising wars for these consoles at next Christmas will undoubtedly be murderous. Certainly it's been a while since two big consoles launched so closely. Will we see Sony buying advertising space across the street from Microsoft offices?

Well it's going to be interesting to see what happens if PS3 is €600 and the 360 is over €200 less. That's a few games and bigger shelf space by then.

The advertising wars for these consoles at next Christmas will undoubtedly be murderous. Certainly it's been a while since two big consoles launched so closely. Will we see Sony buying advertising space across the street from Microsoft offices?

Dont think Sony have much competition when the ps3 launches, not in Ireland anyway, with all the casual, and kiddy gamers wanting a game of fifa, and the next gen gta... in fact, I honestly think that even if MS launched the 360 at €200, 3 years ago, it would outsell the ps3. Sony have a huuuuuuge fan-base in Ireland, second only to Japan ffs. Regardless it's price, little jimmy, and hopefully little GrumPy will be getting there ps for christmas. Ps3 has already won the "battle" in Ireland, that's for sure. I still look forward to metal gear, and hopefully the console wont rape my pockets to anally, but I'm still more than content with my 360 atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭xbox-man

there is also a new nintendo HD coming out...

xbox-man wrote:
    there is also a new nintendo HD coming out...
    A what?

• Advertisement

I think he means Revolution. Ironically, it's anything but HD :p But by the looks of the first game shown for it (Red Steel), it's shaping up to be all kinds of awesome. I'm about as hyped for it as I am for PS3, right now. Two consoles in November is going to be expensive..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

LookingFor wrote:
    Two consoles in November is going to be expensive..:eek:
    was the revolution comfirmed for a november release too?

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    was the revolution comfirmed for a november release too?

Hehe, sorry, no. I just read a rumour to that effect, and it momentarily became fact for me, in my excitement. I think it's safe to say it'll be coming in the latter part of the year though :)

LookingFor wrote:
    Hehe, sorry, no. I just read a rumour to that effect, and it momentarily became fact for me, in my excitement. I think it's safe to say it'll be coming in the latter part of the year though :)
    i'd say summer tbh... capitalise on everyone having summer jobs and what not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Unfortunately the French sony president couple of weeks ago wasn't misunderstood.
    The price of the ps3 is 500 euros with a 20gb drive and 600 euros with a 60gb drive.
    Its a bit expensive really
    dont ya think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

I'm not so disappointed with the price, €600 was my absolute upper limit, but I was hoping they wouldn't touch that far. At least the HDD is standard, and the games do look hot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm not putting any money down on one till I see what that baby can do.

What sort of online stuff will it have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

this being ireland i say you can add roughly another €49 to price of both ps3 packages. Also think they will have a major supply problem as there are reports that the yields of cell processors are crap.

What sort of online stuff will it have?

I haven't seen many reports about it yet, but it seems they're lifting most of the features of Xbox Live. It's free, also.

As for supply, they've actually increased their shipping forecast for 06. They now are aiming for 4m units worldwide by the end of the year, 6m by March 07. It launches here Nov 17, if anyone missed it.

They'll probably miss their targets, but if they get 750k-1m units into Europe, it'd at least be better than PS2 was. But if you want one this year, I'd suggest a preorder (and you can probably do that properly now, with the date and price announced).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

LookingFor wrote:
    I haven't seen many reports about it yet, but it seems they're lifting most of the features of Xbox Live. It's free, also.

Cheers, think I'll stick with my 360, online gaming is the 1 and only reason I stuck with MS.

I might put a deposit down on a pre-order and see what sort of stuff they come up with just before release.

Did they say it was free at the conference? I remember them saying that awhile ago, but alot of things seem to have changed this E3, or just not mentioned e.g. region free

quinnd6 wrote:
    Unfortunately the French sony president couple of weeks ago wasn't misunderstood.
    The price of the ps3 is 500 euros with a 20gb drive and 600 euros with a 60gb drive.
    Its a bit expensive really
    dont ya think?

xbox360 is €100 cheaper with the 20gb drive. but the ps3's first line-up of games already blow the 360's launch titles out of the water. resistence: fall of man is on a par with the killzone trailer and apparently mgs4 is due christmas, or q1 2007.

i don't think it's that expensive at all for the technology you're getting.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Did they say it was free at the conference? I remember them saying that awhile ago, but alot of things seem to have changed this E3, or just not mentioned e.g. region free

yeah it was said at the conference. ps3's online service will be xbox live, but free. they showed a demo of singstar ps3, where you can go online and buy new tracks to play with. this idea will probably get integrated into guitar hero and maybe even GTA. they also showed a warhawk store, where you could buy new planes and stuff. hopefully there wont be a horse armour fiasco. €2 for extra boost or something stupid like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Does anyone know when and where you can preorder ps3? are game taking preorders yet or virgin or anywhere?

Ciaran500 wrote:

The bit I saw about online said it would be free, but the business model is open for third parties.

I think region free for Sony's own games still stands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement