Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 to cost between €500-600

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

lol, yea but i will be getting PS3, and il have hdtv by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Well it's going to be interesting to see what happens if PS3 is €600 and the 360 is over €200 less. That's a few games and bigger shelf space by then.

The advertising wars for these consoles at next Christmas will undoubtedly be murderous. Certainly it's been a while since two big consoles launched so closely. Will we see Sony buying advertising space across the street from Microsoft offices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Well it's going to be interesting to see what happens if PS3 is €600 and the 360 is over €200 less. That's a few games and bigger shelf space by then.

The advertising wars for these consoles at next Christmas will undoubtedly be murderous. Certainly it's been a while since two big consoles launched so closely. Will we see Sony buying advertising space across the street from Microsoft offices?

Dont think Sony have much competition when the ps3 launches, not in Ireland anyway, with all the casual, and kiddy gamers wanting a game of fifa, and the next gen gta... in fact, I honestly think that even if MS launched the 360 at €200, 3 years ago, it would outsell the ps3. Sony have a huuuuuuge fan-base in Ireland, second only to Japan ffs. Regardless it's price, little jimmy, and hopefully little GrumPy will be getting there ps for christmas. Ps3 has already won the "battle" in Ireland, that's for sure. I still look forward to metal gear, and hopefully the console wont rape my pockets to anally, but I'm still more than content with my 360 atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭xbox-man

there is also a new nintendo HD coming out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

xbox-man wrote:
    there is also a new nintendo HD coming out...
    A what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I think he means Revolution. Ironically, it's anything but HD :p But by the looks of the first game shown for it (Red Steel), it's shaping up to be all kinds of awesome. I'm about as hyped for it as I am for PS3, right now. Two consoles in November is going to be expensive..:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

LookingFor wrote:
    Two consoles in November is going to be expensive..:eek:
    was the revolution comfirmed for a november release too?

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    was the revolution comfirmed for a november release too?

Hehe, sorry, no. I just read a rumour to that effect, and it momentarily became fact for me, in my excitement. I think it's safe to say it'll be coming in the latter part of the year though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LookingFor wrote:
    Hehe, sorry, no. I just read a rumour to that effect, and it momentarily became fact for me, in my excitement. I think it's safe to say it'll be coming in the latter part of the year though :)
    i'd say summer tbh... capitalise on everyone having summer jobs and what not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Unfortunately the French sony president couple of weeks ago wasn't misunderstood.
    The price of the ps3 is 500 euros with a 20gb drive and 600 euros with a 60gb drive.
    Its a bit expensive really
    dont ya think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

I'm not so disappointed with the price, €600 was my absolute upper limit, but I was hoping they wouldn't touch that far. At least the HDD is standard, and the games do look hot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm not putting any money down on one till I see what that baby can do.

What sort of online stuff will it have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

this being ireland i say you can add roughly another €49 to price of both ps3 packages. Also think they will have a major supply problem as there are reports that the yields of cell processors are crap.

What sort of online stuff will it have?

I haven't seen many reports about it yet, but it seems they're lifting most of the features of Xbox Live. It's free, also.

As for supply, they've actually increased their shipping forecast for 06. They now are aiming for 4m units worldwide by the end of the year, 6m by March 07. It launches here Nov 17, if anyone missed it.

They'll probably miss their targets, but if they get 750k-1m units into Europe, it'd at least be better than PS2 was. But if you want one this year, I'd suggest a preorder (and you can probably do that properly now, with the date and price announced).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

LookingFor wrote:
    I haven't seen many reports about it yet, but it seems they're lifting most of the features of Xbox Live. It's free, also.

Cheers, think I'll stick with my 360, online gaming is the 1 and only reason I stuck with MS.

I might put a deposit down on a pre-order and see what sort of stuff they come up with just before release.

Did they say it was free at the conference? I remember them saying that awhile ago, but alot of things seem to have changed this E3, or just not mentioned e.g. region free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

quinnd6 wrote:
    Unfortunately the French sony president couple of weeks ago wasn't misunderstood.
    The price of the ps3 is 500 euros with a 20gb drive and 600 euros with a 60gb drive.
    Its a bit expensive really
    dont ya think?

xbox360 is €100 cheaper with the 20gb drive. but the ps3's first line-up of games already blow the 360's launch titles out of the water. resistence: fall of man is on a par with the killzone trailer and apparently mgs4 is due christmas, or q1 2007.

i don't think it's that expensive at all for the technology you're getting.
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Did they say it was free at the conference? I remember them saying that awhile ago, but alot of things seem to have changed this E3, or just not mentioned e.g. region free

yeah it was said at the conference. ps3's online service will be xbox live, but free. they showed a demo of singstar ps3, where you can go online and buy new tracks to play with. this idea will probably get integrated into guitar hero and maybe even GTA. they also showed a warhawk store, where you could buy new planes and stuff. hopefully there wont be a horse armour fiasco. €2 for extra boost or something stupid like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Does anyone know when and where you can preorder ps3? are game taking preorders yet or virgin or anywhere?

Ciaran500 wrote:

The bit I saw about online said it would be free, but the business model is open for third parties.

I think region free for Sony's own games still stands.

• Advertisement

Resistance: Fall of Man is no where near the Killzone 2 trailer than was shown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

yeah it was said at the conference. ps3's online service will be xbox live, but free. they showed a demo of singstar ps3, where you can go online and buy new tracks to play with. this idea will probably get integrated into guitar hero and maybe even GTA. they also showed a warhawk store, where you could buy new planes and stuff. hopefully there wont be a horse armour fiasco. €2 for extra boost or something stupid like that

I'm a big Oblivion fan, but no I didn't get the frankly ridiculous Horse Armor. The price isn't just for the 360 tho, it's pc too. Also, 360 has had DLC from the launch, between games like Outpost Kaloki X and Ridge Racer 6, both of which had free content.

I would bet anything in this world that sony will win the console war but they are missing one enormous thing... ORIGINALITY. They're online service is the biggest rip off of Live, is almost funny how wholesale they copied microsofts model, and wow look how original they're pads are: Identical to PS2's with a dumbed down element of the Wii controller added in.

In terms of originality I think (hope) nintendo come up with the goods. Much as i like my 360 I know i'll end up gettin a ps3, why, because of the one thing Sony has in spades... Dev support. The games I love the most are almost entirely japanese RPG's so it's a no brainer. But at €500 for 20GB and €600 for 60GB.... I'll be waiting for a price drop, just like it's predecessor.

Whoops, almost forgot... most embarrassingly of all: The Horse Armour gives you no boost, it's purely cosmetic...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I don't mind paying for Downloadable Content at all, such as music or buying little games but I really don't want to pay a subscription fee if I want to play against others online, that I don't like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

But Live is free to use at the moment for downloading updates/ demos and uploading game scores etc, you only need to pay for access to playing the multiplayer games and I think that is all that Sony mean when they say it will be free to access online. They will still need to bring in some cash to pay for the servers by some means or other.

robinph wrote:
    But Live is free to use at the moment for downloading updates/ demos and uploading game scores etc, you only need to pay for access to playing the multiplayer games and I think that is all that Sony mean when they say it will be free to access online. They will still need to bring in some cash to pay for the servers by some means or other.

They've said online multiplayer will be free..but for some titles like MMOs etc. I can imagine third parties charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

Of course the third parties will be charging i say the only free games u will be gettin will be the sony ones themselves i highly doubt EA games will be free

Brock wrote:
    Of course the third parties will be charging i say the only free games u will be gettin will be the sony ones themselves i highly doubt EA games will be free

They were on PS2, were they not? I'd say most games will be free, the exceptions being big MMOs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

robinph wrote:
    They will still need to bring in some cash to pay for the servers by some means or other.

One word my fellow game lovers "Advertising", I'd say Sony will have lots of adds (computer game related mainly i'd say, if not they are fools) up on their version of the marketplace and that'll help pay for servers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

no one with a decent desktop wants a home entertainment system, more heaches, more setups, and no thanks for a linux on a tv ! Just give me a gaming machine, may have cost them 1k, doesnt mean its worth that much to us though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Was leaning towards the ps3 being my next gen console... now I've seen the price I'll be leaning towards the xbox. I ain't getting either until after the ps3 is out though and we know what it can do.

Advertisement