Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZED FM appeal dismissed in Supreme Court. The Countdown Begins!

Options
  • 06-04-2006 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Yay!!!!

So its finally over. The Supreme Court dismissed the Zed FM appeal to the licence award to Phantom FM this morning.

This means that we can now get on with the job of getting Phantom on air in the summer.

More details as we get them. Thanks as always to all for their support!

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

yeyeyyeyeyyeeyyeyyeyeyeyeyyeyeyeyyeyeyyeyeyey

well done! partying this evening then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ButterflyX

alas, the war is over,
    bring it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

beautiful! sosososososo very happy for yis :):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭jmc

Brilliant stuff! Congrats lads. Look forward to hearing you on! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wunderzwiebel

That's fantastic news lads!
    Any idea for a provisional party/start date?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead!

Whhhooooooooooooooooo!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

Great stuff. Congratulations :)

Now for that Tallaght stadium to be built without the GAA rednecks involved...............

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Brilliant news!!

Congratulations Phantom... can't wait to hear you on the air again!!!!!!

Hard luck Zed...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nessymon

well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Steve Martin

Well done Guys!

Its been a long wait, now you can get on with it at last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

:eek: WOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 daraghb

Looks like the other side are accepting it, found this statement on Hot Press website:

The Supreme Court has delivered its verdict in relation to the challenge by Zed FM against the BCI’s decision in the awarding of the alternative rock license for Dublin.

Unfortunately, the only way that a decision can be challenged is by Judicial Review, through the courts. This is a very limited and narrow process. It is also a protracted and hugely expensive one, which we undertook only very reluctantly and in the knowledge that, from the beginning, the odds were heavily stacked against us. We would never have taken the case if we hadn’t felt very strongly that there were issues of principle involved. However, the court has now made its decision, deciding 2-1 in favour of the BCI.

While we haven’t had time to read the judgements thoroughly, we note the dissenting judgement of Mr. Justice Kearns. The fact that our position has been vindicated within the judiciary confirms that it was appropriate, in the public interest, to have this case heard.

Obviously we are very disappointed with the result.

On the plus side, the process – which has absorbed a lot of time and resources, as well as money – is now at an end and we can move on, free of the cloud that it has cast over other activities for everyone involved in Zed FM.

It was our view from the start that the manner in which the alternative rock station deals with its responsibilities in relation to Irish music will be of critical importance. Zed FM had committed to playing approximately 50% more Irish music than Phantom during the daytime hours and in excess of 25% more overall.

The fact is that Irish music needs a station in Dublin that plays a significant volume of original music, and in particular lots of music by unsigned bands – especially during daytime hours. Like everyone with a genuine commitment to Irish artists of a non-mainstream variety, we would like to see this being a real priority for Phantom.

What is most important now is that music fans will finally have an alternative rock station to listen to in Dublin.

There are good people on the Phantom FM team and we now wish them all the best in their campaign to get the station up and running successfully.

[issued by Zed FM/Scrollside Ltd]

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Well it's about time!

Congratulations to all involved, the Phantom legal team. Hopefully now Zed get costs awarded against them.

And hopefully Phantom put enough watts on the transmitter to reach into County Meath!

Anyway roll on Phantom on the air!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

It is my memory of Phantom playing tons of ace unsigned stuff during the day. I sold 500 albums because of the morning show alone (thanks again Mr. Conway!). All the Pod Casts featured ace new stuff and Phantom has done great work with Gigsmart with the last spectacular gg in the Village. Fact of the matter is Phantom has a proven track record in this regard and whatever promises Zed made are lovely and all that but it is unfair to say Phantom is not pro new music. A commitment to Irish music on the radio could be a day of Corrs/U2/Thrills in a loop anyway.

This is a great day for music. Rock on Phantom!

Great find, daraghb. There are some genuine indications here all right that the dispute is definitely over:
    daraghb wrote:
    Unfortunately, the only way that a decision can be challenged is by Judicial Review, through the courts. This is a very limited and narrow process. It is also a protracted and hugely expensive one, which we undertook only very reluctantly and in the knowledge that, from the beginning, the odds were heavily stacked against us. We would never have taken the case if we hadn’t felt very strongly that there were issues of principle involved. However, the court has now made its decision, deciding 2-1 in favour of the BCI.

On the plus side, the process – which has absorbed a lot of time and resources, as well as money – is now at an end and we can move on, free of the cloud that it has cast over other activities for everyone involved in Zed FM.

What is most important now is that music fans will finally have an alternative rock station to listen to in Dublin.

There are good people on the Phantom FM team and we now wish them all the best in their campaign to get the station up and running successfully.

YAY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JohnBalfe

Awesome, if somewhat inevitable, news. Well done all. Thouroughly deserved.

One question though, where does this leave the recruitment process? Any ideas as to when interviews are going to take place?

Congrats again!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Thank the great good drol! Finally the unsigned alt-rock bands of Dublin will get some damn on air publicity again!

Great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Hurrah!

Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

"Zed is dead"

I love the way there were no posts about it for ages, then last Monday/Tuesday a few of us got riled up again and started posting remarks. Hey presto! The verdict is announced two days later! Spooky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Excellent, excellent news, chaps.

To Pete and BrianD, the paitence you had to exert wouldve cracked lesser folk...

Now, when do you want reception reports? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Garret wrote:
    "Zed is dead"
    Are you ripping off my joke?!? Or is that a Pixies reference, which would be okay.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Wacker wrote:
    Are you ripping off my joke?!? Or is that a Pixies reference, which would be okay.....

its a Pulp Fiction reference

sorry didnt see yours

whats the Pixies reference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

ZedFM wrote:
    The fact is that Irish music needs a station in Dublin that plays a significant volume of original music, and in particular lots of music by unsigned bands – especially during daytime hours. Like everyone with a genuine commitment to Irish artists of a non-mainstream variety, we would like to see this being a real priority for Phantom.
    Oooh, Good idea Zed. Yeah, guys: do that: play irish music. It might be tough at the beginning, but you'll grow to enjoy exploring this new territory.

Seriously, Well Done. I'm sure this news means more to you than it can to me... and i'm thrilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

daraghb wrote:

[issued by Zed FM/Scrollside Ltd][/I]

I guess this means there won't be an appeal to any European court. Thank God. Roll on Phantom. Roll on no more listening to Top 40 most of the time in my car on the way to or coming home from work.

JJ wrote:
    I guess this means there won't be an appeal to any European court. Thank God.
    Yeah, mucho apolojeez for peeing on everyone's parade by mentioning that possibility the other day. It's just that the frustration was making it difficult for me to be my usual positive self ;) so I went on a bit of a mini rant. I'm so thrilled for the Phantom guys. Congrats one and all for struggling on. Makes your success that bit sweeter I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭monkey lover

YAAAAY!!!!!!!

Good music back on the airwaves soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Great news lads justice is finally done. Can't wait til your back on the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ozone6280

Great news it was well woth the wait....... Congradulations to everyone here in the USA.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

excellent.

Advertisement