Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZED FM appeal dismissed in Supreme Court. The Countdown Begins!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I can wipe the dust off my stereo now.

Congratulations. W00t!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Congrats Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Great news !! Can't wait for it to start broadcasting.

Congratulations guys !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

"From Unison.ie

Supreme Court gives nod for Phantom FM to take to airwaves
    13:24 Thursday April 6th 2006

The Supreme Court has cleared the way for new Dublin rock station Phantom FM to take to the airwaves.

The rival Zed FM, backed by Bob Geldof,Hot Press owner Niall Stokes and businessman Dermot Hanrahan, lost its bid for the radio license in 2004 when the Broadcasting Commission awarded it to Phantom.

Zed challenged this in the High Court, but failed in its claim that Phantom benefited from years of illegal broadcasting.

The consortium then took its case to the Supreme Court, but that appeal was dismissed today, paving the way for Phantom to begin broadcasting."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

News Release from ZED FM/Scrollside:

"The Supreme Court has delivered its verdict in relation to the challenge by Zed FM against the BCI’s decision in the awarding of the alternative rock license for Dublin.

Unfortunately, the only way that a decision can be challenged is by Judicial Review, through the courts. This is a very limited and narrow process. It is also a protracted and hugely expensive one, which we undertook only very reluctantly and in the knowledge that, from the beginning, the odds were heavily stacked against us. We would never have taken the case if we hadn’t felt very strongly that there were issues of principle involved. However, the court has now made its decision, deciding 2-1 in favour of the BCI.

While we haven’t had time to read the judgements thoroughly, we note the dissenting judgement of Mr. Justice Kearns. The fact that our position has been vindicated within the judiciary confirms that it was appropriate, in the public interest, to have this case heard.

Obviously we are very disappointed with the result.

On the plus side, the process – which has absorbed a lot of time and resources, as well as money – is now at an end and we can move on, free of the cloud that it has cast over other activities for everyone involved in Zed FM.

It was our view from the start that the manner in which the alternative rock station deals with its responsibilities in relation to Irish music will be of critical importance. Zed FM had committed to playing approximately 50% more Irish music than Phantom during the daytime hours and in excess of 25% more overall.

The fact is that Irish music needs a station in Dublin that plays a significant volume of original music, and in particular lots of music by unsigned bands – especially during daytime hours. Like everyone with a genuine commitment to Irish artists of a non-mainstream variety, we would like to see this being a real priority for Phantom.

What is most important now is that music fans will finally have an alternative rock station to listen to in Dublin.

There are good people on the Phantom FM team and we now wish them all the best in their campaign to get the station up and running successfully.

[issued by Zed FM/Scrollside Ltd]"

• Advertisement

Wikipedia updated too

They had to take a parting shot assholes, please please please never play the boomtown rats ever again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Or plug Hot Press. :)

In an ideal world, it would be nice to play 50% Irish during daytime, including unsigned, but that would be commercial suicide, and I'm sure the BCI realised that at the time of application. And Phantom will not be neglecting the Irish scene one bit, they will be in the vanguard of promoting new unsigned acts.

A little bit of magnanimity last line, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Worzelgumble

really really excelent news guys well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 deedles

Yipppeeeeeee! Well done Phantom! Finally a decent radio station to listen to!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Gabhan

Hopefully the last year hasn't lessened your enthusiasm. What frequency will you be transmitting on, so that I can have my radio tuned and ready :p .The best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Fantastic news!

Any idea when you'll be broadcasting yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Garret wrote:
    its a Pulp Fiction reference

sorry didnt see yours

whats the Pixies reference
    Ed is dead, being a Pixies song. Maybe someone should cover it n ow but amend the chorus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

One year on, we finally get our way and have Phantom back on the air. It's been no fun listening to CDs and MP3s on the way home from work in the recent past.

Great to have you back lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Congrats guys, it has been such a long wait .. at long last!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Man I haven't listened to my radio since Phantom went off air aaages ago, looking forward to hearing you's again, congrats to all involved! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MissyC

Thnak God for that! Roll on late summer, well done to all involved, the frayed nerves can begin to heal now!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Me so happy!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

wahoo!!!!! oh my god that feels good! lets go TP Niall stokes house!
    i suggest that every phantom dj should develope a speech impediment that every time they go to say "hot press" they say "hot piss"
    and do it alot. just to annoy them.
    oh god that feels so so so so sooooo good!! yay!
    oh yeah not going to boston anymore. radiohead had to come and play..with beck supporting...so ill be round for the launch i hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Wacker wrote:
    Ed is dead, being a Pixies song. Maybe someone should cover it n ow but amend the chorus.
    hehe classic idea wacker...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Richie MC

To quote the great Ric Flair, if i may, "WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!".

Great news all round, all the lads in Phantom Towers deserve nowt but the best from now on. The question is though, what's gonna be the first song come launch day? One of my suggestions would be the Manics' "Masses Against the Classes". Just for the opening line, "hello it's us again, we're still so in love with you".

Once again, well done lads n lasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Smurfpiss wrote:
    hehe classic idea wacker...
    Why thank you Sir. I'm a genius, I'll have you know.

As far the first song when they're back, their first ever legal song was I Fought The Law by the Clash. Good choice! This time, they should use my earlier idea and have the dialogue line from Pulp Fiction (or should they be humble in victory?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

good call.. fair play to the supreme court.. roll on launch day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

OH YEAH!!!!! Great news guys, roll on ze summer and what a summer it shall be!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Excellent news. Congratulations to all the Phantom crew.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Anyone interested can snap up zed.ie as the registrar has failed to renew the domain registration..

... just thought I'd put it out there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i've a renued faith in irish justice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

YES! finally. I had gotton so bored with music radio without Phantom, i had given up and only listened to NewsTalk :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭QM79

Congrats to all! Now it all gets interesting! Good luck with it all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

F*CK Yeah!

Advertisement