Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man United announce new Sponsorship deal.

• 06-04-2006 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭

Manchester United have announce a record breaking sponsorship deal with AIG (American International Group). Unted will get £56 million for the four year deal.

Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

discussed here, doesnt really warrent a new thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054901030&page=7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

What record did it break? 14m per year...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It cannot help to get the extra money in, whether or not it will be given towards purchasing of new players who knows.

It is probably more to try and get more US firms involved in the club on the part of the Glaziers. Mansion and AIG seemed to be the 2 main front runners, both US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Answered my own question:

"United chief executive David Gill confirmed the four-year deal, which dwarfs the £10m (€14.3m)-a-season contract Premiership champions Chelsea have with Samsung, at Old Trafford this lunchtime."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is dwarfs a bit much? 4 million a year ain't going to make them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

in financial terms its 45% more than the next highest, which could be termed as dwarfing. It's also £18m more over the length of the deal, which is a large part to buy the likes of Rooney.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And once Utd get £35 for selling Rooney to Real in the summer they will have plenty of money to buy players!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

5starpool wrote:
    And once Utd get £35 for selling Rooney to Real in the summer they will have plenty of money to buy players!!!

I am sure Everton woyuld get a nice chunk of that deal id it did go ahead.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ciaran76 wrote:
    I am sure Everton woyuld get a nice chunk of that deal id it did go ahead.;)
    if we sold rooney for £35million, everton would get about £4million, i think.

Anyway, he won't go to real, we all know he has always loved chelsea and has supported them since he was a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I would like to see Utd win the league just so they can say NA Nah Nah to Vodafone :o

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

further americanisation of the club, next thing the Bud ad's will come true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

further americanisation of the club, next thing the Bud ad's will come true

Yeh, that makes sense. A good British insurance company woulda been better right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, that makes sense. A good British insurance company woulda been better right?
    You're right PHB, this does nothing to further "Americanise" the club. I'm sure they would have been the sponsors regardless of the Glaziers involvment.

No they wouldn't be, I'm sure Glazier used all his buisness know-how to get this record sponsorship deal, something that the previous board probably couldn't have done.

Seriously though, since you decided to join in, a good British insurance company woulda been better right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Have they ever had an English sponsor?

kdjac

PHB wrote:
    No they wouldn't be, I'm sure Glazier used all his buisness know-how to get this record sponsorship deal, something that the previous board probably couldn't have done.

Seriously though, since you decided to join in, a good British insurance company woulda been better right?
    I (and I'm sure plenty of others) couldn't care less who their sponsor is! Particularly seeing as it is a record one.

But your refusal to acknowledge that this is nothing to do with another step towards the Americanisation of the club is hilarious.

It's happening (just like the "Spanish Revolution" at Liverpool), face it.

The owner of the club is American.

The nationhood of the sponsor is utterly irrelevent, and has no impact on the club at all except money wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

But your refusal to acknowledge that this is nothing to do with another step towards the Americanisation of the club is hilarious.

It's happening (just like the "Spanish Revolution" at Liverpool), face it.

AIG is a global Company . The press conference announcing the deal had a Satellite link to a group of Journalists in Honk Kong. The deal has more to do with AIG's ambitions in the Far east than Man Utds standing in the States . Could you really see an American company investing £56.5 in a soccer club for any other reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

http://msnsport.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=377342&CPID=8&clid=1&lid=3&title=United+unveil+new+sponsors

^
    check out token and his friend, that sponsor looks awfull on that jersey tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

It won't look like that as they're getting a new logo during the summer

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    wow there horsey im just being sarcastic, i couldn't care less about man u, i just thought it would give the pre glazer man u fans extra ammo

The Muppet wrote:
    AIG is a global Company . The press conference announcing the deal had a Satellite link to a group of Journalists in Honk Kong. The deal has more to do with AIG's ambitions in the Far east than Man Utds standing in the States . Could you really see an American company investing £56.5 in a soccer club for any other reason?
    I see you didn't quote one of the things that I said.

So I'll say it again, I don't care who the sponsor is, and I don't know many that really do, particularly seeing as it's a record one.

But to think that this isn't one of the first steps in the club leaning toward the American market is deluding ones self. But if that what makes you happy, go for it. I've already admitted there is a similar situation going on at Liverpool and their Spanish influx.

Does it bother me? Hell no. But do I accept it? Hell yes.

But to think that this isn't one of the first steps in the club leaning toward the American market is deluding ones self. But if that what makes you happy, go for it.

Leaning towards the american market and americanised is a totally different thing. Americanised implies not being a football club anymore, and just being a marketing brand.

Leaning towards the american market is great, its trying to break into a huge huge huge huge huge potential fan-base which any club in the world would want.

The Glazier's want to do the latter, as do I. The former is a bad thing imo, and it would appear that Glaziers aren't trying to do this, and even if they are, this deal has no effect on it whatsoever.

p.s.
    If you think Liverpool is become more Spanish, by that sorta logic, we've only got 3 american players, and one of them has declared for Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

United will have a new jersey out next season anyway so we'll have to wait and see how it'll look on that. The one shown in the pics won't be used at all this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Leaning towards the american market and americanised is a totally different thing. Americanised implies not being a football club anymore, and just being a marketing brand.

Leaning towards the american market is great, its trying to break into a huge huge huge huge huge potential fan-base which any club in the world would want.

One begets the other. To crack the american market, you've to americanise yourself. Soccer clubs, no matter how big in Europe, dont have the appeal. Hence you see marketing deals between the likes of Man Yoo with the Yankies etc etc, which is leading to the club being a brand first, and club second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I see you didn't quote one of the things that I said.

So I'll say it again, I don't care who the sponsor is, and I don't know many that really do, particularly seeing as it's a record one.

I didn't quote that because It was not the point I was replying to.

But to think that this isn't one of the first steps in the club leaning toward the American market is deluding ones self. But if that what makes you happy, go for it. I've already admitted there is a similar situation going on at Liverpool and their Spanish influx.

Does it bother me? Hell no. But do I accept it? Hell yes.

Is there sometyhing wrong with trying to tap into the American market? I still say that AIG's interest in developing their business in the Far East is the main factor in Sponsoring United. Have a look at the pictures from Yesterdays launch and you will see Ji Sung Park feature very prominently.

As soccer stands in the States AIG would be unlikely to benefit very much from their huge investment if their target was the American Public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

PHB wrote:

United have long since stopped being a football club. They are a business entitiy and a marketing brand. They practically wrote the book on this for the rest of the premiership to follow.

Tour of the US to boost the profile. Recalling players early from holiday to get some big names on the pitch to suit the business heads who deemed that the tour was not going sucessful enough and not generating enough interest. Thats pure football isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

The Muppet wrote:

Good point. Trying to sell Soccer to Baseball, Basketball and American football fans is like banging your head against a wall.I watched United in LA and in Boston and both times the stadiums werent near full. Chelsea's tour was the same. Aisa is the key for marketing & selling jerseys particularly as China is by far the fastest growing economy in thr world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Good point. Trying to sell Soccer to Baseball, Basketball and American football fans is like banging your head against a wall.I watched United in LA and in Boston and both times the stadiums werent near full. Chelsea's tour was the same. Aisa is the key for marketing & selling jerseys particularly as China is by far the fastest growing economy in thr world
    The big problem with that is it doesn't suit the ABU agenda

• Advertisement

United have long since stopped being a football club. They are a business entitiy and a marketing brand. They practically wrote the book on this for the rest of the premiership to follow.

Tour of the US to boost the profile. Recalling players early from holiday to get some big names on the pitch to suit the business heads who deemed that the tour was not going sucessful enough and not generating enough interest. Thats pure football isn't it?

No, it's not. But the money made my the buisness is used to support the actual team on the pitch. IF you want to use that logic, no top class team has pure football, so that's just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

According to this story on Football365 the money will be used to pay off the Galzers debt and not towards new players.
    Sir Alex Ferguson's transfer kitty is unlikely to be boosted by the club's record-breaking four-year, £56.5m sponsorship deal with the insurance giant American International Group (AIG).

The deal was confirmed amid much fanfare at Old Trafford on Thursday. Yet for all the jubilation and mind-boggling sums, the bottom line is that Ferguson may still have only as little as £20m to spend this summer.

Rather than boost Ferguson's transfer coffer, the proceeds of the AIG deal will be used by the Glazer family to pay off parts of the reputed £300m they borrowed to buy the club last summer.

"We have budgets to buy players in the summer and those budgets have always been there. We don't look at things in isolation. We look at our finances going forward into the future," said chief executive David Gill.

"But we have to maintain our performances on the pitch because we understand we cannot be successful by not investing in players and in our academy. We will always continue to do that. The manager will get what he needs to make sure we improve the squad next season."

Ferguson described the deal as being "fantastic for the club", but insisted that strengthening his squad of players remained his priority.

"Whatever happens today and the financial foundation that it gives the club, it can only benefit the club as a whole and we can look forward to years of progress through this," he said. "But, for me, it's always going to be about how we improve as a team. I always look at that and then go to David Gill or to the Glazer family and say: ‘This is the player we would like.' Then we assess how much it is going to cost, so nothing has changed in that respect."

A central midfielder is top of Ferguson's wanted list.

The Scot watched Lyons Mahamadou Diarra on Tuesday night against AC Milan but, with his transfer budget capped at £20m, will need to sell some of his existing players before he can launch a bid for the £25m-rated midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

http://football365.com/teams/manchester_united/story_181968.shtml

According to this article, Fergie won't get an extra penny out of this deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

PHB wrote:
    No, it's not. But the money made my the buisness is used to support the actual team on the pitch. IF you want to use that logic, no top class team has pure football, so that's just stupid.

Of course I agree with you. Football is business its not longer about the game anymore. What I was getting at was your vision of united being about football. Dilluded at best.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

http://football365.com/teams/manchester_united/story_181968.shtml

According to this article, Fergie won't get an extra penny out of this deal.
    In fairness that is from ABU365.com. I wouldn't really pay much attention to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Brian017 wrote:
    It won't look like that as they're getting a new logo during the summer
    What do you mean "a new logo"? Surely not a new crest, like what spurs have done.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What do you mean "a new logo"? Surely not a new crest, like what spurs have done.:mad:

I'd imagine he means advertising logo on the shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Yeah the AIG logo.

lol, abu365 says we will only have 20 million. JEsus, thats suprising. Can they give any evidence whatsoever to support this claim? Anything at all? Is it any different from me saying that United will have 100 million this summer? Well it is actually, I appear to be better informed than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Brian017 wrote:
    Yeah the AIG logo.
    Thank f**k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

means fcuk all tbh for man utd the football team. they were always going to get a deal anyway so i dont see wat the big deal is.

won't impact much on transfer funds, just means utd (the business side) continue to develop.

the only impact this deal has on the average manu fan will be the way the shirt looks. there's nothing worse than a big ugly sponsorship logo, eircom anyone?! i hated the vodafone logo, bring back sharp!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

the impact is that the glazers get to pay off a fair chunk of their debt at a reasonably early stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Glazer is delighted with the Man Yoo 'franchise' according to the BBC. The end is night ;)

i'm sure predictions for "the end is nigh" is a little hasty

Advertisement