Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotmail

• 06-04-2006 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Not going to entertain "hotmail is crap, get a real email address". I've had the my email address for 7 years and I just don't want to change!

Anyway....

I got 2 hotmail addresses. 1 Irish, 1 American. Irish one is 2 meg limit while US one is 250mb. Ok, that would piss you off. But now I've been invited to upgrade to a 2gb Windows Live Beta account on my US one while still stuck at 2meg for Irish one. When signing up it even lists the places where Beta is available to, which includes the UK, Aus, France etc but no Ireland. Huh???

WTF have Microsoft got against Paddys????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

There are several ways to increase your basic hotmail limit. Google "increase hotmail size" and follow your nose.

I've done it, and it was increased straight away to 25Mb. I won't hold my breath until they increase it to 250...25 is fine for what I use Hotmail for.

You need 2GB? Then just get a gmail address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Also found:

Most users with a free Hotmail account receive 250 megabytes (MB) of storage space. If you have a free Hotmail account, and you have less than 250 MB of storage space, it may be because of one of the following:

Your account hasn't been open for more than 30 days.
    You haven't signed in to your account a total of four or more times.
    You aren't in an area that currently supports the Inbox storage space upgrade for free Hotmail accounts. This upgrade is currently supported in the following areas:
    Australia (AU)
    Austria (AT)
    Belgium (BE)
    Brazil (BR)
    Canada (CA)
    China (CN)
    Denmark (DK)
    Finland (FI)
    France (FR)
    Germany (DE)
    Hong Kong (HK)
    India (IN)
    Italy (IT)
    Japan (JA)
    Korea (KR)
    Mexico (MX)
    Netherlands (NL)
    Singapore (SG)
    Spain (SP)
    Sweden (SE)
    Switzerland (CH)
    Taiwan (TW)
    United Kingdom (UK)
    United States (US)

Looks like the majority of pre-enlargment EU countries are on there. (Greece, Portugal, Lux also not there). Forget anti-competition law suits, what about my email account??!!

Yakuza wrote:
    There are several ways to increase your basic hotmail limit. Google "increase hotmail size" and follow your nose.

I've done it, and it was increased straight away to 25Mb. I won't hold my breath until they increase it to 250...25 is fine for what I use Hotmail for.

You need 2GB? Then just get a gmail address.

My point was more to the exclusion of Ireland as oppose to needing 2gb of space, but thanks for the tip.

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/bharath/archive/2005/01/05/41579.aspx

I had tried something similar before but it didn't work. Worked this time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

"hotmail is crap, get a real email address" ^_^
    Google don't discriminate either!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Acually Google does "discriminate". Gmail Talk isn't available if you choose "English (UK)" in your settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

If you email Hotmail admin they will upgrade your account to a 20MB account, you cant do with a pathetic 2MB account!!

Seriously, i done it. I have an Irish hotmail account, all I had to do was contact them (via email) nd i asked them for the 250MB's.

The next day it was done!

I still dont really use the Hotmaikl account I might add, cant complain about Gmail! best service by a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

theres a way to get the 250meg hotmail account for any account including your irish account
    google for the method... i did it over a year ago for my irish account
    you move to 25 meg and then in 30 days it jumps to 250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

1) Login ur hotmail account and go to options.

2) Go to "Personal"

3) Click "My Profile"

4) Change Country to "United States" Wait for browser to load United states settings.

5) Change the state to "Florida" and zip code "33332"

6) Click "update"

7) Click "Continue"

8) Go to "Language" and make sure its "English"

9) To preserve your emails in your inbox, create a temporary folder and put all your emails from your inbox into that. I suppose I don’t have to give details on how to create a folder and transferring the mails into that…we all know that don’t we

10)Paste this link in the same browser. http://by17fd.bay17.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/Accountclose

11) Wait until the Screen says you're Hotmail is Closed and ready to be deleted. Click "Close Account".
    Go back to login page and relogin to ur hotmail account..!!

12 ) Your account size will now increase to 25 MB which a mnth later becomes 250 mb

and im sorry, but its beyond me how you can still want to use hotmail.
    so heres a gmail address.. get with the times!

http://mail.google.com/mail/a-1b367eace7-82a7fd170e-77352e577e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

stebishop wrote:

2) Go to "Personal"

3) Click "My Profile"

4) Change Country to "United States" Wait for browser to load United states settings.

6) Click "update"

7) Click "Continue"

9) To preserve your emails in your inbox, create a temporary folder and put all your emails from your inbox into that. I suppose I don’t have to give details on how to create a folder and transferring the mails into that…we all know that don’t we

10)Paste this link in the same browser. http://by17fd.bay17.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/Accountclose

11) Wait until the Screen says you're Hotmail is Closed and ready to be deleted. Click "Close Account".

12 ) Your account size will now increase to 25 MB which a mnth later becomes 250 mb

How can i get a gmail account ? do you have to be invited ? if so can u pm me on one ? thanks,oleras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Acually Google does "discriminate". Gmail Talk isn't available if you choose "English (UK)" in your settings.
    Isnt that something to do with the Gmail name being copyrighted by another company in the UK? Hence Gmail being Googlemail in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Windows Live Mail is quite good actually, much better than the old Hotmail. I'd recommend signing up for the beta (as long as you don't mind changing your location in the settings page to the UK). I find myself using Live Mail increasingly more often than Gmail.

Or just wait. Everybody on Hotmail will be upgraded in a few months anyway (there will still be the "classic" hotmail window style for those who don't like the new layout). Then it's 2GB of storage for everyone. That 2mb was pretty restrictive.

Isnt that something to do with the Gmail name being copyrighted by another company in the UK? Hence Gmail being Googlemail in the UK?
    No, that's simply a branding issue.

Hate Window Live Mail. Ugly crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

oleras wrote:
    How can i get a gmail account ? do you have to be invited ? if so can u pm me on one ? thanks,oleras
    If anyone wants a Gmail invite, PM me with your existing email address.

stebishop wrote:

2) Go to "Personal"

3) Click "My Profile"

6) Click "update"

7) Click "Continue"

You really should read other peoples posts. You have copied and pasted the same info I gave in the link in my second post. (which I'm sure thats where you even copied it from.)
    stebishop wrote:

I think this might answer your question

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51166096&postcount=1

Also, who is jusmaher?
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    No, that's simply a branding issue.

Hate Window Live Mail. Ugly crap.

Nope, it is a trademark issue

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/051019-111125

I can send anyone an invite for gmail also if they want one.

It's a branding issue created by a trademark issue, pedant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

To get an invite to Live mail on your Irish account, change the area to US and go to ideas.live.com and sign-up for the Live Mail beta.
    You will get an invite very quickly, but ONLY if your account is US based, hence the need to change. You can change your location back once you've upgraded.

The BETA is US only (read the T & C) that's why your Irish based account didn't receive an invite.
    <edit>I see the beta is now available for the UK and other places too</edit>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've been using the beta for a while now - and god damn is it sloooooooooow

Ken Shabby wrote:
    It's a branding issue created by a trademark issue, pedant.

Eh, pedant?

WTF was this then?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51169680&postcount=13

A branding issue created by a trademark issue? You really are clutching at straws (and talking a load of ring)

FunkyChicken asked a question, I answered it (the lack of Talk in Google with localisation set to English UK has nothing to do with the branding issue). That's hardly pedantry. Your post, on the other hand...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A windows live signup invite was just sent to you Ken :D

• Advertisement

That's just not nice SB. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

Don't upgrade your 2MB account!

If it's an old one then it's regarded as an "existing 'valued' member"

This means you can use Hot Popper to POP3 your Hotmail!

It's also lets you use Hotmail as a SMTP server for outgoing mail WITH ANY "FROM" HEADERS YOU WANT!

But this only works for old accounts, like mine :-)

EDIT: Hot Popper appears to be paid for software now :( I use an old version and it was free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sheepish

Linoge wrote:
    Also, who is jusmaher?

Sorry, that was me. Thought it was a general click through link. I'm new at this internet tomfoolery.

A hundred thousand million apologies! Anything I can do to make amends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Thanks for the info guys been meaning to do this for a while now. I assume once my account changes to 250 I can just go in and change the info back to an irish account and keep the 250mb space, not that it matters just wondering.

Advertisement