Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bebo Prevails

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

guess its just not publicly accessible anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭leche solara

My brother works in the IT Dept in UCD and he says they have been told to drop everything and find a solution that will stop undesirable sites being accessed from college computers. They are currently testing a program called Websense which can be fed a list of topics which are deemed undesirable - sex, sport, religion, Instant messaging etc. The program examines site before access is given and if it falls into one of the banned topics a Websense message tell suer that the access to the site has been blocked because it contains references to 'Sex, Sport etc.' The program is also intuitive and has learning ability. If for instance a site does not contain a banned topic but it is suddenly receiving a lot of hits a report is produced. An administrator then visits the site and decides whether it is acceptable or not. If he considers it unacceptable it will be added to the list of banned sites. Apparently this program is widely used in semi state bodies and parts of the Civil Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

eth0_ wrote:
    Bebo is for absolute RETARDS. I really do not see the attraction!
    Are these people so unable to score in real life that they have to cybersex with someone and then meet them by the lake?

Grow up FFS.

You're here to study, if you're going to spend your time on Bebo perhaps you should drop out because from what i've seen of Bebo people, they barely have the intelligence to string a few words together, nevermind complete a degree.

i've never wanted to punch someone in the face as much as i do now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

this seems to be a client-side application! plenty of ways around it, firefox being one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

are currently testing a program called Websense which can be fed a list of topics which are deemed undesirable - sex, sport, religion, Instant messaging etc. The program examines site before access is given and if it falls into one of the banned topics a Websense message tell suer that the access to the site has been blocked because it contains references to 'Sex, Sport etc.'

that sort of system seems entirely unfeasable in an open college education environment. It would prevent research from taking place, deny users access to useful information, prevent reasonable if not neccessary communications, and piss all over free speech.

There would be such a backlash comp services wouldn't know what hit them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Umaro wrote:
    i've never wanted to punch someone in the face as much as i do now.

The next person to post off-topic gets a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm sorry but it's f*cking pathetic how you're comparing blocking bebo to a violation of your human rights (a comment in the library suggestion book) and infringing on free speech!

If you want to sit on Bebo all day, get your own laptop and use the wireless and ethernet connections to your hearts content, instead of blocking up PC's with your Bebo usage!

I don't think blocking Bebo would set a precedent because I don't think there's ever been such a scourge as this site in any college before. You never hear people complaining about students being on gmail etc, it's *ALWAYS* bebo. Even on the bus into town this evening there were a bunch of faux D4 girls whining on about 'Loike, ohmygosh it's loike, so hord to keep OFF bebo?'. They deserve a punch in the face for sure.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

As laptop ownership goes up (which is something computer services could do even more on) this will become less and less of a problem - despite some of their carryon, computer services are quite media-savvy. they'd see a backlash like a bebo block coming a mile away.

i think best to leave it as now. no bebo in the library, bebo elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

which can be fed a list of topics which are deemed undesirable - sex, sport, religion, Instant messaging etc.
    So as someone said people doign research on this subjects do what then...? Change their area of research? That sounds like a windup to me as i'd never see a University be that short sighted.

eth0 i've been very surpsied with your houlier than thou attitude, massive generalisations and name calling in this thread (i know u didnt call any one person anything but group name calling is pretty bad too). Just cos someone disagrees with you does not mean they deserve abuse. Im surprised Peachy hasn't warned ya (if she hasnt).

Anyways. I agree Bebo access needs to be monitored or cut somehow during peak times (especially coming up to the exams). Can be tricky to do succesfully without interfering massively with research material. Just my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

etho is just mad because no one will accept her bebo invites.

Yeah, it should be blocked in the library at least. Any sites should be done on a case by case basis and not just because it falls into a 'category'.
    I can't imagine any program allowing to search for 'rape' or 'murder' etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Sangre wrote:
    etho is just mad because no one will accept her bebo invites.

Really showing your lack of intelligence with that retort, pal.
    Maybe when you grow up you'll learn people have differing opinions to you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

eth0_ banned for a week for dragging the thread off-topic after numerous warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

eth0_ wrote:
    Bebo is for absolute RETARDS. QUOTE]
    now thats a bit harsh, i admit i use bebo a lot but i like to think i have some amount of intellegence. and the ability to complete my degree.

It is annoying to see the computers being taken up by bebo users when you need a computer for essays or research, but if they ban it will they ban every popular site? im sure people spend plenty of time on hotmail or gmail but they cant ban them, people will say they need them for emailing tutors/lecturers etc so where do they draw the line

lets face it bebos current popularity aint gonna last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Just do what I do. If you see someone on bebo on the computers drop-kick them.

Half thinking of making a boards group but Im soooo lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Or what I do when I see somone on Bebo. Sneak behind them and give a big loud fart. And then widen your eyes and repeate Bebo in your best Gollum voice as fast as you can.. Sure enough they'll be off the computer lickity split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I think it is a sad day for UCD. Free access to computers is important to a lot of students for important course work. It really pis*es me off to see ar*e holes spending hours on the machines fluting around on bebo. I won't even access Boards from a college computer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I've never really used bebo in college, and it's my laptop anyway. Taking up pc's at this time of year for silly little reasons is bent. End of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

*promised herself she wasn't getting involved in this thread...oh well*

Ok...I'm a self-confessed bebo addict ('Hi Group'......'Hi Elmyra'....there we go, introductions over with), I like the site and I check in a couple of times a day. I do this during college hours but on my own laptop. If I couldn't afford a laptop and needed to use college computers regularly like a lot of people do, I'd still check my bebo because I'd feel that it was only fair that my net access not be restricted by my lack of laptop. However, check it is all I would do, it takes ten minutes to have a flick around and reply to anything you need to reply to. With that said, whenever I've used college computers I've been aware that I'm doing so while other people are waiting in line for the same facilities, and given that there should be a little bit of give and take among people who are sharing facilities, I don't dawdle. People need to apply their common sense and a little bit of respect. If you do what you need to do and get the hell off the pc, it wouldn't come to a point where anything needs to be banned.

UCD gives us precious little else for free, it's perfectly fair that people who don't have laptops should have the same access to sites as those who do, but they have a little bit of care for those who are in the same situation and respect that while we all know college pcs are invariably used for non-academic purposes, essays and research etc come first.

Let's all join hands and sing kumbiya post over...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Is it possible to invite friends into the UCD page on Bebo like you can for your old school?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Art_Wolf wrote:
    Then they should make it a rule in the college that their pcs are for course related work only. Ban bebo and something else will simply take its place.
    THAT IS THE RULE! READ THE POPUP WHEN YOU LOG IN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

eth0_ wrote:
    Bebo is for absolute RETARDS. I really do not see the attraction!
    Are these people so unable to score in real life that they have to cybersex with someone and then meet them by the lake?

Grow up FFS.
    Wise words. Grimes' suggestion is also good... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Syth wrote:
    THAT IS THE RULE! READ THE POPUP WHEN YOU LOG IN.

I think I love you.

Read 'em and weep, folks - I know I've posted this TWICE before, but obviously people didn't read it, or it needs to be brought to the fore again. Anyway, this is the pop-up you click OK on to log into the UCD system every time you use the computers. Maybe you should read it here, because it's patent plenty of people haven't done that in college...

STUDENT COMPUTING RULES

GENERAL REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE USE OF UCD COMPUTERS BY UCD
    UNDERGRADUATE AND POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS

The UCD computer systems may only be used for the course or research
    work for which students are registered as UCD students.

Use of another person’s computer account is strictly prohibited.

Any usage of the computer systems for frivolous purposes or game
    playing or any usage which interferes with or disrupts the use of any
    computer system by other computer users in any way is strictly
    prohibited.

Students who fail to observe these or any other regulations may be
    denied access by Computing Services to any or all of the computers in
    UCD. Students who are denied access to the computers may be required to
    pay an amount determined by the Registrar as a fine before being
    permitted to continue their studies in UCD. A serious or persistent
    breach of these rules will result in a report being sent to the
    Registrar, and an appropriate penalty will be imposed at the
    Registrar’s discretion.

Now, Elmyra - I agree that those without laptops shouldn't be discriminated against.

I also agree that Websense would make research in a lot of fields impossible.

However, that's why I think a TIMED firewall would be ideal for Bebo and its ilk. Bebo isn't banned, it's just inaccessible during office hours, so people can get their academic work done to their deadlines (on computers that work to proper speed!) and their work won't suffer. People who have no alternate internet or computer access, can still do what they like on the computers after 5, when it doesn't directly impact on anyone's grade - if you're doing your essay past 5 you can't hand it in then. If you're in a class at 5, you probably should have done your work/printing off/ whatever before 5pm. If you're unlucky enough to have a class later than that, most people will be gone by then and computer access will be less of a problem. If you're desperate to use Bebo and have no alternate access to it, it'll still be there at 5. If you're really unable to survive without it until the firewall is lifted then there are two things you need to do - 1) Talk to a student advisor, because you're addicted and need help (I'm deadly serious) and 2) Go off-campus - town, Blackrock, Dun Laoighre etc all have internet cafés. Go there instead. If you're that badly off for Bebo, you won't mind paying for it, because my education (or the education of anyone else queuing for a computer) shouldn't be the price for your entertainment.

Besides, you can embarrass most Bebo users off computers if they have a conscience. I asked a fresher the other day if he was just using Bebo and texting people could someone in the queue who had an essay to hand up for 4.30 please use the computer instead, because their academic work took priority. He looked really sheepish and was gone within a minute. Sure, I felt bad, but that was one person who didn't lose 10% of their grade needlessly.

Oh, and if you doubt the fact that people dislike Bebo's control of UCD resources, read the comment book in the Library. There are still comments on a regular basis for the abolition of Bebo use on all computers in the library, not just the ones controlled by the library, but also the Computer Services ones on the 3rd and 4th floors - there's only 1 asking for it to be put back on the library computers. Frankly, it just appears that Computer Services couldn't be arsed to do their job. I think that's the most disgusting part of this entire debacle.

Advertisement