Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

domain in redemption

Options
  • 06-04-2006 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Stupidly, I let my domain name expire, so its currently in redemption. Hosting365 said it’d cost 150 euro to get it back whilst in redemption. I’m on a very very crap wage at the mo so I can’t really afford that, but neither do I want to lose the domain if poss. It’s a .com and it’s a reasonably obscure name, but I asked about it elsewhere and a couple of people said their domain names had been snapped up after they were let expire, and that’s with obscure/unusual names. Someone said that 150euro was an outrageous amount, but hosting365 said they have to pay more, so they charge more. I wouldn’t know, though I would be interested to know – is 150euro more than you might expect?
    .. anyway, someone told me to find out what company – if any - gets first right to acquire the hosting company’s expiring domain names on behalf of those who backorder, and that I should then backorder with that registrar.
    So, my questions:
    If hosting365 have a particular registrar who gets first refusal, if I backorder with that registrar does that mean that I’m guaranteed to get the domain name immediately? Or could another registrar still beat me to it? I think I heard that some registrars have a bidding process – does that mean that different registrars bid, or that different people bid to the same registrar?

And what exactly is a registrar? Is it any company that you can rent a domain name through? Or is it a snap-up-domains company I’m looking for?
    And, say if someone else has already registered to try and snap the name up, will I become aware of that once I register to do it?,
    If someone signed up to snap it up before me, would they get it?
    And are there any other options open to me other than paying the fee?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Too many questions!
    tether2 wrote:
    is 150euro more than you might expect?
    Their cost is dependant on their own situation, i.e. who they're a reseller for and how much their registrar charges, whether they have any interest in the redemption business, etc. €150 may be a /tad/ high, but if it is, I can't blame them -- I wouldn't charge very far off it meself, if it happened.
    If hosting365 have a particular registrar who gets first refusal
    If anyone gets first refusal, it'll be H365's registrar.
    if I backorder with that registrar does that mean that I’m guaranteed to get the domain name immediately?
    There are no guarantees in the domain registration business I'm afraid. The answer is: "If they support backorders, and you're quick, probably. But not definitely."
    Or could another registrar still beat me to it?
    Again, it depends. If H365's registrar is an unscrupulous bastard like NetSol, they'll "register" your domain automatically when it expires, and they'll squat on it. If they're not, a cybersquatter or a service like SnapNames could beat everyone to it. (Worth is of course a factor.)
    I think I heard that some registrars have a bidding process – does that mean that different registrars bid, or that different people bid to the same registrar?
    The latter. WHOIS your domain, find out the registrar, go to their website.
    And what exactly is a registrar? Is it any company that you can rent a domain name through?
    Yes, although some companies may be resellers for registries, who have exclusive licences to supply particular top-level domains (NetSol = NET/COM, PIR = ORG, etc). Most Irish registrars are actually resellers.
    Or is it a snap-up-domains company I’m looking for?
    Possibly. SnapNames is good, I used them to get one of my domains with success.
    And, say if someone else has already registered to try and snap the name up, will I become aware of that once I register to do it?
    At that particular snap-back company, yes; because they won't (or shouldn't anyway) let you "register" it. However a company that doesn't already have a "booking" will obviously let you queue it.
    If someone signed up to snap it up before me, would they get it?
    If their snap-back company gets the registration before yours, yes. If not, no.
    And are there any other options open to me other than paying the fee?
    You want the domain, guaranteed? Pay the fee.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tether2

thanks adam - thats very educational for me - cheers for going thru all my points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 edbyrne

Hi tether,

What actually happens is that to protect your domain, when it expires it's put into a redemption pool - so that you still have 2 months to renew before it becomes freely available.

The problem with this of course is the increased admin - so the cost passed on by the registrar has to be in turn passed on to the customer.

You can try pre-order with some of the on-line services, but to be honest, they're dodgy, as they'll take your money and don't guarantee you'll actually get the domain.

I agree 150 is a lot ... I don't know if I'd pay it myself (and I work in hosting365!) unless the domain was really important ... but unfortunately there's nothing can be done about that. If it's an obscure domain and has low-traffic / google rank the likelihood is you'll be able to re-register on the day the redemption period is over. It's a small risk and only you know the value of the domain!

There's isn't really an increase in admin Ed. Redemption is expensive because they registries set prices for redemption high, and they set prices high because they can (as sort of "you shouldn't have let your domain expire, here's your punishment" logic, albeit with money-making in mind).

Also, I don't think it's fair to call the pre-order services "dodgy", the word implies illegitimacy, which usually isn't the case. Pre-orders for landrish domains, now that's another story...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

i agree that 150 is a rediculous amount and i really wonder what internation reg companies charge. Only one client so far has had this happen to them and they paid the 150 charge and without notice h365 "couldn't find" the domain and just refunded the credit card and the client or myself wasn't contact to tell us this. I tried adding it to my controll panel for weeks thinking it was just a long process and then contacted h365 which then told me it couldn't be found by the person doing it but that they actually have found it ... Duno how you loose a domain on your own servers hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

My domain went into remption in the US: I was sent an E-mail, I responded and paid for a further number of years. And I paid absolutely zero extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

Are you sure it was in redemption and not just expired? There is a difference.

Our registrar charges USD 160 to get a domain name out of redemption. In the rare event that someone needs to get one out of redemption we pass on the charge at cost, which would be about the 150 mark that H365 charge.

There really isn't that much extra admin involved. It is a bit of a scam by the registrars to squeeze more money out of you, but if you let your domain name lapse and leave it for the 29 or so days it takes before it goes into redemption, then you don't have anyone else to blame but yourself.

misterq wrote:
    Our registrar charges USD 160 to get a domain name out of redemption. In the rare event that someone needs to get one out of redemption we pass on the charge at cost, which would be about the 150 mark that H365 charge.
    Nah. It used to be $85. I think it's less now, maybe half that. Which isn't the same as saying they're not justified in charging it. With all due respect to the OP, if you're silly enough to let your domain expire...

Advertisement