Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microsoft opens a linux lab????? WHA!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Balmer is an idiot who should be muzzled. Pretty much every thing he says just ends up making the company look bad at some stage.

I think the "Developers" mantra is pretty much all he has said that hasn't back fired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

christ... WinXP on Macs... Microsoft's Linux Lab...

it must be a cold day in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

of course they have a linux lab, where else would they get their "innovative ideas" from;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Blowfish wrote:
    of course they have a linux lab, where else would they get their "innovative ideas" from;)

Mostly apples ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I remember reading an article about MS having a Linux 2/33 years ago at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

They dont have a Linux man, we're not talking about Microsoft developing a version of Linux (dear god no) but I do remember the thing you're talking about, it was an old website set up to mimic www.microsoft.com telling all about Microsoft Linux but it was an april fool's joke of about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Achilles wrote:
    They dont have a Linux man, we're not talking about Microsoft developing a version of Linux (dear god no) but I do remember the thing you're talking about, it was an old website set up to mimic www.microsoft.com telling all about Microsoft Linux but it was an april fool's joke of about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Sorry misunderstanding was my fault, my last message made no sense. I should have said, I read an interview with the guy who headed was the head administrator in Microsofts Linux Server Farm labaratory.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

I heard recently that a couple of years ago Hotmail servers were running on Free/Open BSD. But since has gone back to windows machines. I don't think its bs either . Can someone clarify this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Why wouldn't they? It helps them get to know their challenger better, and gives them a foothold should Linux turn out to be the threat to business some believe it will (as in they'll offer a free Windows Linux alternative that will offer all the things people like about Linux and a brand they can "trust"... of course they'll figure out a way to make money out of it... premium content and all that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

flogen wrote:
    Why wouldn't they? It helps them get to know their challenger better, and gives them a foothold should Linux turn out to be the threat to business some believe it will (as in they'll offer a free Windows Linux alternative that will offer all the things people like about Linux and a brand they can "trust"... of course they'll figure out a way to make money out of it... premium content and all that)

Microsoft offering a Linux product? Dear god no.. please if that happens I'll be forced to gouge out my eyes. Incidentially:

http://www.mslinux.org

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dev 17 wrote:
    I heard recently that a couple of years ago Hotmail servers were running on Free/Open BSD. But since has gone back to windows machines. I don't think its bs either . Can someone clarify this?
    Actually, I know of a company from a (good) few years back that where doing business with Microsoft and supposed to be using their server software as part of the deal. They just changed some value in the Linux code so that any outside checks returned a 'using Microsoft Windows' value :D

Gotta love open source ;)

Advertisement