Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post failing to hit delivery targets

Options
  • 06-04-2006 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Well duh :rolleyes: didnt take a genius to figure this one out :)
    A new report on the quality of service performance of An Post shows that 73% of standard mail was delivered within one working day throughout the country last year. An Post has a target of 94%.

The Commission for Communications Regulation - in its third independent annual report on the quality of service performance - said this was just a 1% increase over the 2004 performance.

ComReg said that in the fourth quarter of 2005, An Post reported only a 63% success rate nationally, a 4% fall over the same time in 2004.

Mail posted outside of Dublin for next day delivery in the city only experienced a 68% success rate, while letters posted outside of Dublin for local delivery recorded a success rate of 76% last year.

In the fourth quarter of 2005, mail posted outside of Dublin for delivery in Dublin fell to just 57% next day delivery, while mail posted locally in Dublin for the same time achieved a 70% success rate.

Overall last year, 97% of all mail was delivered within three working days. This is a 1% improvement over the previous two years, but falls short of the 99.5% target set by ComReg.

'ComReg is concerned that quality of service performance in falling well off the target of 94%', commented ComReg Commissioner Mike Byrne.

'This is the second successive quarter in which An Post's quality performance for next day delivery has fallen by 4% by comparison with the corresponding quarters in 2004 and eliminates much of the moderate improvement gains in the first half of the year,' he added.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

I'd have expected it to be worse that this. 3 to 4 working days seems to be a good bet between the Athlone and the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My parents live in a small village about 30 miles west of Cork City. The town of Macroom is 7 miles away.

Once upon a time

local letters were sorted at the village PO and the rest sent to Macroom

Macroom then sorted local letters for other villages and sent the rest to Cork

Cork sorted the rest

Nowadays

Everything, even for neighbours two miles away or in the next parish, is sent to Cork and sent back out. It's lunacy and means that it's extra hard for An post to provide a good service

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have found that the An Post service has improved dramatically over the last few months.
    I use an online DVD rental company in Dublin,I'm in Cork and every item takes 1 day each way.
    I've received 16 letters so far all in 1 day,and 1 day to return.
    Thats a good serveice to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Bck in the early 90s I remember the service suddenly dramatically improving. I remember posting a birthday card in Swords at about 5:30am - and I got a call around 2pm from my friend in Donneycarney thanking me for it.

However its really deteriorated in recent years. I quite often get bills that are due literally the next day that have taken a week to go from Dublin to East Cork. Same with bank statements, etc. I now have to post birthday cards at least 3 days early - if not 5 working days.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

shoegirl wrote:
    I quite often get bills that are due literally the next day that have taken a week to go from Dublin to East Cork.

I think a lot of companies seem to date their bills a few days before they post them off - my first (and latest) BT bill had arrived about a week after its supposed issue date. The other mail had taken the normal 1 day.

(In fact UTV emailed their bills and they often arrived well after their supposed issue date...)

Yes I too remember the days when you could post a letter at 23.30 in the station and it would go off in the mail train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It's the overseas stuff that's the big problem. I waited for some headphones from Denmark for two months and a tracked item from England sat in the office in Pearse for five days before they got round to posting one of those little white cards demanding that tell 'you come pick it up yourself because we can't be arsed to deliver it.'

Advertisement