Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing and Reg Plates

Options
  • 06-04-2006 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

If you were to import a car lets say 2001 and it was uk regged is there anyway to get a cherished plate. I.e when you buy a new car you can book your number, ive heard they keep lets say the first 200 and say some of these were still not taken in a certain county could you pay an extra fee and nab one? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

The VRT people would give me one despite it being a 1996 car. They said it was only on new cars you could pre book...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As in 98 D 3281 on a BMW 328i. If so, you don't want it. Once issued, registration numbers cannot be changed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Slightly Ot but when you take in an import from say the uk and its got a cherished uk reg plate,who becomes the owner of that reg?

Doesi t go back into the dvla's system or is it possible for you to sell it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Volcano

As it would have to be back regged i was hoping some of the ones that would have been 'kept' would not have been used and could then be available to be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Volcano wrote:
    As it would have to be back regged i was hoping some of the ones that would have been 'kept' would not have been used and could then be available to be used.

Would I be correct is assuming that you do not want the car to be identified as an import, explaining why you wish to have a lower number?

(Most imported car registrations are added to the allocation for their particular year thereby making them easily noticed).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Volcano

No ive just always had a pre booked number on my cars i just think they are tidier or something. I know it sounds stupid but i love how in england you can at least buy number plates to suit the car. Id just like one to compliment the car, lets say the engine size or a 1.8 you could have a number plate with 01 D 180 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eireal wrote:
    Slightly Ot but when you take in an import from say the uk and its got a cherished uk reg plate,who becomes the owner of that reg?

Doesi t go back into the dvla's system or is it possible for you to sell it?

You can sell it, but only if you are the registered owner of the car. This means that you would have to transfer the car into your name in the UK prior to importation, thus adding another owner.

Advertisement