Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Gaming Question

Options
  • 06-04-2006 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey I was just wondering if it's possible to play any multiplayer games across the UCD network. I know you can't play on the internet but I remember when I was back in 1st year that red alert 2 was installed on loads of the computers in Eng 321 and was wondering if there's any way of setting that up again? A pm with some instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If you have the game installed on your laptop (and so do your mates) then it's no prob playing a LAN game, provided your all in the same building. (Building's have their own VLAN with traffic from VLAN to VLAN blocked).

If you're looking to play LAN games on UCD computers you won't get very far. And don't even think about it. Students have enough probs with Bebo twats without having to deal with game playing nerds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

isn't quake still hanging around somewhere? Though i think thats just on the comp sci. servers

it depends where you are though as to whether you can get stuff on the college machines, last year myself and a mate installed half life on college machines, 5 mins into playing it, they shut both of our machines down remotely. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Whatever you do, do NOT start wasting more time or Bebo will be banned. I cannot believe that you would have such contempt for your peers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The Win 2000 environment has the registry locked down so you won't get very far installing such a game. What may work is to copy the entire game folder from your home PC and burn it onto a DVD. Then put it in the room machine, copy it to C:\ and run from there. - but price for info is: don't be a twat if there's a load of people around waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

Just so we're all clear I dont intend using college machines. I plan on keeping this strictly to my laptop and my mates laptops. Thanks for all the advice.

Oh and bebo is the gayest thing in the world and shud be banned! Im sick to death of queuing for a computer in the daedalus building coz half the room is on bebo!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

then you won't have a problem i play c & c generals across the quinn network fairly often and i've never had any hassle. as irlrobins said make sure you're all in the same building. enjoy :)

oh and i recommend himachi for V-LANning when not in ucd. you never know when you might need a study break

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

is all this game playing over the UCD network cosher?

Nope. But you prob get away with it if the games are on ur own laptop and the traffic is restricted to within one VLAN.

But there is a guy on the network team that is very good at spotting unusual traffic.... ;)

for no reason a post ?

posted twice

does he work in the IT center in John H Newman???

• Advertisement

yea all the senior/important people work in the comp centre. The Daedulus just has the assistants who show you how to print and login and know little else about PCs beyond that.

Edit: damn u grimes for editing ur post. by comp centre I mean the UCD Computer Centre located between health science and computer science buildings.

whats the worst that can happen if you get cought?

not sure about game playing. But for file sharing apps, if you got caught u got blackholed (no network access) until you proved all apps were removed along with any copyright material downloaded. Second offence would lead to a month's blackhole. Third time is permaban.

good stuff cause planning on getting a good aul 1v1 empire of war going in the IT center tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

*sutty waits for the flood of blacklisted IP/mac address to come in tomorrow.

Well that should keep me entertained in work

Ill risk it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If they were gaming on a WLAN does the traffic go farther than the wireless router?

humbert wrote:
    If they were gaming on a WLAN does the traffic go farther than the wireless router?
    It shouldn't no.

then it would be difficult to detect/catch, not big into the whole gaming thing myself but if grimes' crew have laptops and stick to the same room should they not be pretty safe...

Yea but it is possible to monitor traffic on a per router basis.

• Advertisement

If you're in the same room (or in close proximity) ye could do an Ad-Hoc P2P wireless network.

All the fun can be controlled by the Wireless Networks selector program in windows. Basically you make up your own ESSID on one PC, copy it to a USB stick and load the settings on all the others. Takes <5mins with practice.

Yep true. Totally legit too as you're not using college network. :D

id rather do that tbh. Dont want my game interupted by some Cybercop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Red Alert wrote:
    If you're in the same room (or in close proximity) ye could do an Ad-Hoc P2P wireless network.

All the fun can be controlled by the Wireless Networks selector program in windows. Basically you make up your own ESSID on one PC, copy it to a USB stick and load the settings on all the others. Takes <5mins with practice.
    Got a 6 player CS game through an ad-hoc last thursday! :D

i think there were cyber cops in eng 321 yesterday. a paper stealing friend says he had to make a quick detour. they were armed with clipboards.

Red Alert wrote:
    i think there were cyber cops in eng 321 yesterday. a paper stealing friend says he had to make a quick detour. they were armed with clipboards.
    Unfortunately i think they are getting smarter. I remember in first year, if you knew how you could get free printing in the Daedalus, but they stopped that one.

Yea and you used to be able to send network broadcast messages to every PC on the UCD network. fun if someone left the PC and forgot to log out. :rolleyes:

And you could change your wallpaper too!

sorry it has to be said, NERD:)

Yep. And I have the domain name to prove it too! :D

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    Yea and you used to be able to send network broadcast messages to every PC on the UCD network. fun if someone left the PC and forgot to log out. :rolleyes:

And you could change your wallpaper too!
    Yeah it was even more fun during tests......

Advertisement