Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a DBMS WITH Java RMI in mind

Options
  • 06-04-2006 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi

I intend on designing a rmi application that will use a database to manage all account information etc. I am wondering which database to choose from. I see that mysql is free but i own a copy of access and oracle. I need the database to be secure(very important) and allow multiple access attempts/second. I am hopeing for an easy to configure interface that works well with java. The important part of this project is the rmi/java not the database so i dont want to spend the bulk of my time configuring and maintaining the database.

any ideas would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Straight off I'd say Oracle. Secure, scalable, uses JDBC and would suit what you're looking at doing. Oracle does not fall over and works well under high loads.
    The amount of time spent on an Oracle DB is more dependent on the complexity of the data but unless it's a large enterprise application you would not really need to get into tuning. You might have to fine tune the number of concurrent transactions but use the default for pretty much anything else. Just make sure that it is set up for regular backup. Oracle shouldn't need too much DBA with a simple application. Oracle also offers a range of DB tools, triggers, functions and stored procedures(now in MySql ).
    Access is a complete non-runner IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Adblock

yeah i have been messing around with oracle, it looks good but the interface seems a little closed off, as in completly accessable through sql, as far as i know there isnt any real way of looking at tables like in access or is there.

cheers for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

ToadFree - the only DB tool an oracle developer will ever need.

Although the commercial version is well worth the investment if you arent paying :D

http://softpile.com/Development/Databases_and_Networks/Download_08263_1.html

Advertisement