Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libby testifies: Bush authorized it

Options
  • 06-04-2006 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.nationaljournal.com/articles/0406nj1.htm

Interesting twist in the story.

Whatever about the argument that Bush may have effectively declassified the information by giving such an instruction, what may prove more interesting is when someone starts looking at what Bush said at the time about the whole affair and reading into that, if Libby's allegation holds up.

It'll also be interesting to see what, if any, impact this has on Libby's case. Even if the information was declassified, he still remains indicted for interfering with an investigation....which is a seperate issue.

jc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the favoured Bush can do whatever the hell he likes defense

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Saw it on the news this morning. $10 says Libby meets with an accident before it comes to trial next year.

And so the spin begins.. Appears some media outlets are reporting because the president did it that it wouldn't of been illegal.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-legal7apr07,1,1919280.story?coll=la-news-a_section&ctrack=1&cset=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Hobbes wrote:
    Saw it on the news this morning. $10 says Libby meets with an accident before it comes to trial next year.

I really hope it makes it to trial, I'm hoping bush has to take the stand
    Baliff wrote:
    Do you swear to tell the truth the truth and nothing but the truth
    GWB wrote:
    Well yes of course the truth is important, and its' significant, but the important thing to remember is if I don't tell the truth and the right thing happens, I was right along....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Freelancer wrote:
    hoping bush has to take the stand

I thought it wasn't possible to force the US president to take the stand - that he would have to agree to do so....similar to why he was able to deny all involvement during this leak investigation....cause him n the Veep agreed to talk, but only if it was not under oath etc....

As for Libby meeting an accident...I doubt it. Bear in mind that up until two days ago, most people seemed to have him lined up for an Executive Pardon come the end of Dubya's tenure.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

bonkey wrote:
    I thought it wasn't possible to force the US president to take the stand - that he would have to agree to do so....similar to why he was able to deny all involvement during this leak investigation....cause him n the Veep agreed to talk, but only if it was not under oath etc....

Wasn't that a congressional thing. The Bush taking the stand thing I saw on More4 news yesterday (I know trendy sushi bollocks news...)

How bad would it be for Bush not to take the stand when a specific allegation aganist him is raised?
    As for Libby meeting an accident...I doubt it. Bear in mind that up until two days ago, most people seemed to have him lined up for an Executive Pardon come the end of Dubya's tenure.

jc

Ditto. Plenty of the watergate gits are still walking the earth. I'm just hoping this is just the ticket to wipe that smug texas good ole boy smirk off bush's lips.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

So is Libby saying that Bush authorised the leak which revealed the identity of a CIA agent, or is this some of the other leaks??

I like the "if the president does it it's not illegal" defence, just like how shooting a man in the face isn't a crime if the VP does it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Heh talk about life imitating art..

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/2006/04/good_leak_bad_l.html

Must see if I can get Yes Minister again.

Advertisement