Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4x4s WHY?????????!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 06-04-2006 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

i need enlightenment on the explosion of these things.
    1.why do you need one in dublin???
    2.what are emissions like on them
    3. how economical are they
    4.why, from what i can see do arrogant, ignorant pricks drive em??
    5. why are they 85% of the time on the grass verge or footpath.
    6. are they v6,v8?? >2L????

i really dont see the point of them and with they worlds oil supplies coming to the end why not drive a economical saloon with a 1.4 or a vtec engine which are very economical????
    in my opinion saloons seem to be safer too???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Before helping you to throw stones at 4x4 owners (and I will) - what do you drive that makes you so righteously indignant?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i need enlightenment on the explosion of these things.
    1.why do you need one in dublin???
    2.what are emissions like on them
    3. how economical are they
    5. why are they 85% of the time on the grass verge or footpath.
    6. are they v6,v8?? >2L????

i really dont see the point of them and with they worlds oil supplies coming to the end why not drive a economical saloon with a 1.4 or a vtec engine which are very economical????
    in my opinion saloons seem to be safer too???

Whay drive a car thats capable of breaking the speed limit?

I'd imagine a good few of them are more economical than my safrane. I'm currently getting about 25 mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'll have a blue one, and since godfather69er won't want his I'll have it for her indoors. He can have my old bike. The saddle is nearly new and hardly hurts anymore and sure you'll get used to the rain. Don't mind getting arthritis in your hands from the cold and damp you'll probably get knocked off it long before then.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

You pays your money you takes your choice.

There's plenty of this sort of thread here if you search for it, but I'll have a Range Rover 4.2 Supercharged in Arctic Frost or Bonatti Grey with Aspen seats, if you're offering. It'll sit nicely in the garage next to the Gallardo Spyder that you could ask your 1-6 about as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This thread reminds me of the South park hybrid cars episode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

We have a new 2.2 diesel rav4 and we are getting about 39 mpg short runs mostly none over 15 minutes.So that aint bab.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 2.2 Rav 135bhp is a beast! the new Santa Fe 2.2 150 more so! (apart from the complete lack of grip on the front wheels-2WD)

I'm sick of everyone giving out about 4X4s, usually people who can't afford them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote:
    I'm sick of everyone giving out about 4X4s, usually people who can't afford them

And you figured this out how?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I don't get why people have a problem with 4x4's. You need to chill out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I don't get why people have a problem with 4x4's. You need to chill out.

Seriously, I think we've done this from every possible angle at this stage. The OP might want to read back over the recent SUV thread, rather than going for a rerun. Actually, TempestSabre, you might want to do the same!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Anan1 wrote:
    Seriously, I think we've done this from every possible angle at this stage. The OP might want to read back over the recent SUV thread, rather than going for a rerun. Actually, TempestSabre, you might want to do the same!;)

Who cares. I say go again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

Before helping you to throw stones at 4x4 owners (and I will) - what do you drive that makes you so righteously indignant?

i drive a 1992 rover mini cooper which is modded, i however do most of my commuting on a bike these days as i dont want to **** the car up by running the risk of crashing. and before you start slagging me about the bike, the bike is worth more than most of the crap on the roads. and you should ride a bike at least once a day on the road it will really open eyes to the ****e quality of roads and the poor standard of driving and manners among most of our road users(not all).
    and from he previous posts the engines seem to be o.k on efficiency so you have enlightened me on that, what would you get out of a 4.2 supercharged range rover??
    and as for that snob who says most complaining is done by people who cat afford them why do alot of 4x4 owners write off the tax on them through daddys business???? and believe me it is more expensive to run a classic car, if i wanted a 4.2 v8 id buy a 69 ford mustang and have a bit of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Because they're fun to drive. Just like a MINI, or an Aerial Atom, if it puts a smile on your face, then it's okay to drive it. We all pay too much for motoring anyway, so why not live it up a little?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

troll.jpg

Beware of internet trolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

i drive a 1992 rover mini cooper which is modded, i however do most of my commuting on a bike these days as i dont want to **** the car up by running the risk of crashing. and before you start slagging me about the bike, the bike is worth more than most of the crap on the roads. and you should ride a bike at least once a day on the road it will really open eyes to the ****e quality of roads and the poor standard of driving and manners among most of our road users(not all).
    and from he previous posts the engines seem to be o.k on efficiency so you have enlightened me on that, what would you get out of a 4.2 supercharged range rover??
    and as for that snob who says most complaining is done by people who cat afford them why do alot of 4x4 owners write off the tax on them through daddys business???? and believe me it is more expensive to run a classic car, if i wanted a 4.2 v8 id buy a 69 ford mustang and have a bit of fun

Ah, I see. Somone's obviously had an unpleasant experience with a '4x4' recently. Felt a little vulnerable in the mini, did we? Not to worry, why don't you just tar all 4x4 drivers/owners with the same brush - That'll no doubt make you feel better about it.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

and as for that snob who says most complaining is done by people who cat afford them why do alot of 4x4 owners write off the tax on them through daddys business????

Why would anyone pay for somethign they (legally) don't have too. Thats madness. Rich people are generally rich because they dont foolishly waste all their money.

Gil_Dub wrote:
    Ah, I see. Somone's obviously had an unpleasant experience with a '4x4' recently. Felt a little vulnerable in the mini, did we? Not to worry, why don't you just tar all 4x4 drivers/owners with the same brush - That'll no doubt make you feel better about it.... :rolleyes:

if you can read i said that not all of them are ignorant pricks???
    and as for the tax thing most people dont have daddys business to use to write off tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I don't think the problem of 4x4s is that huge in Ireland, or that much of an environmental impact as with the yanks.

I don't think they come with engines under 4-5 Litres over there... bloody ridiculous bunch of senseless dopes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ahem... some people actually need 4X4s, theres quite a lot of farmers and people with horses in the country...
    Driving a 4x4 is no worse than driving a sports car.

That said, when I eventually can afford to buy one, I'll probably either get a 1litre runaround or a bike to save on fuel costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I've been driving a 4x4 with the last few weeks (a Toyota Hilux Surf). I sold my car and I'm driving this in the meantime until I can pick up the car I've bought. Must say, I can't see the attraction. Crap handling, pretty crap acceleration, rough ride, crap fuel economy, and noisy (although this isn't really a factor with the newer ones). An awful lot of bad points with them for the pro's of having a high driving position, the look of a 4x4, and extra space. But each to their own I suppose.
    Can't wait to get back to driving a car!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

i drive a 1992 rover mini cooper which is modded
    That's a terrible car for emissions, safety, fuel consumption and efficiency. Why aren't you driving something very ecologically sound & safe like a Citroen C3 diesel. We're running out of oil, you know, and there you go using twice as much of our precious oil as someone in a C3 diesel. And you can fit more people into a C3 than a bicycle, so it is much more efficient than that.

Unless you've modded your mini with some sort of cold fusion reactor, why don't you piss off back to the leaving cert forum and lose the "I read daddy's irish times last week and it said SUVs are bad so that's my pocket opinion" attitude. Live and let live, or you'll meet and even bigger prick than yourself who won't.

That's a terrible car for emissions, safety, fuel consumption and efficiency. Why aren't you driving something very ecologically sound & safe like a Citroen C3 diesel. We're running out of oil, you know, and there you go using twice as much of our precious oil as someone in a C3 diesel. And you can fit more people into a C3 than a bicycle, so it is much more efficient than that.

Unless you've modded your mini with some sort of cold fusion reactor, why don't you piss off back to the leaving cert forum and lose the "I read daddy's irish times last week and it said SUVs are bad so that's my pocket opinion" attitude. Live and let live, or you'll meet and even bigger prick than yourself who won't.

ya just shows the amount of car knowledge you have you dope. my mini has a six point roll cage, its made of thickish steel.if a mini hit a modern car head on it would make **** of the newer car. however a jeep would just drive over me.
    diesel is less refined then petrol so you get more emmissions but they are more efficient than petrol.
    and i dont read the irish times its a rag, i do physics and geography so we are being thought about oil reserves and peak oil by our 'fantasic' education system.
    and i seem to have met a bigger prick already maybe you should have done your leaving cert you smart arse, biased old fart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Things warming up nicely I see. Won't be long now.:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Nomex underwear at the ready... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I've got my flak jacket here.

/pats

The LC forum is responsible for more idiotic posts on boardsie than The Cuckoos Nest.

<disclaimer-this is not a blanket criticism of the LC forum>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

*Looks out window*
    Three 4x4's sitting in the yard. Mam's, Dad's and a spare :D

I think I can see the pitch forks coming over the hill now. Not too long more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

my mini has a six point roll cage,

so....

...where do you fit then?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

My basis for saying that the peoples complaints about 4X4's are often due to the fact that they can't afford them is based on working in the motor trade and talking to people, not on any prejudice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement