Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4x4s WHY?????????!!!!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its hard to make a case for any car on enviromental grounds. A Diesel 4x4 is better then many family saloon cars for mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

my mini has a six point roll cage, its made of thickish steel.if a mini hit a modern car head on it would make **** of the newer car. however a jeep would just drive over me.
    It would make ****e of the newer car and you. Newer cars are designed to absorb and deflect the impact of an accident around the occupants. The Mini was not.
    diesel is less refined then petrol so you get more emmissions but they are more efficient than petrol.
    While diesel's particulate emissions are much higher than petrol's, its CO2 is much lower. Newer diesels have particulate filters (including the one in the C3). Also, because diesel needs less refining from crude, you use less crude to yield a litre, making it much more efficient than petrol. I don't know how you sleep at night burning up mother earth's resources at such a rate!
    i do physics and geography so we are being thought about oil reserves and peak oil by our 'fantasic' education system.
    Such a shame they don't teach tolerance of other people's rights, or open mindedness, or plain manners.

BTW: My car does less than 20mpg and emits more harmful byproducts than about 3 SUVs combined. I loathe SUVs, and would rather burn myself to death than buy one. I would argue until the cows come home that a good estate meets the same need for 80% of people who buy SUVs. But I would do my level best to avoid the sweeping, bigoted, ill-informed and naive points you made in your original post. People have the right to chose whatever car they want. If you don't like it, why not move to North Korea where they don't?

Then again, I am a biased old fart.... I suppose 36 is old to someone with a mental age of 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

It would make ****e of the newer car and you. Newer cars are designed to absorb and deflect the impact of an accident around the occupants. The Mini was not.

While diesel's particulate emissions are much higher than petrol's, its CO2 is much lower. Newer diesels have particulate filters (including the one in the C3). Also, because diesel needs less refining from crude, you use less crude to yield a litre, making it much more efficient than petrol. I don't know how you sleep at night burning up mother earth's resources at such a rate!

Such a shame they don't teach tolerance of other people's rights, or open mindedness, or plain manners.

BTW: My car does less than 20mpg and emits more harmful byproducts than about 3 SUVs combined. I loathe SUVs, and would rather burn myself to death than buy one. I would argue until the cows come home that a good estate meets the same need for 80% of people who buy SUVs. But I would do my level best to avoid the sweeping, bigoted, ill-informed and naive points you made in your original post. People have the right to chose whatever car they want. If you don't like it, why not move to North Korea where they don't?

Then again, I am a biased old fart.... I suppose 36 is old to someone with a mental age of 12.

i am going to be the one with the mental age of 12 and walk away:rolleyes: after i have one last attempt to point it out to you.
    look, if you crash at 50mph yo are ****ed anyway unless your in a abrahams tank.
    i am no hippy i would happily drive a 69 7l v8 mustang if i could have one as they are better use of big v8 engines at least you get some fun and dont give people the impression of a dry ****e biased old fart. as im a impressionable 12 year old you should listen to me on impressions as most others must get that impression too.
    wh wha what about filters?? your point just highlights how stupid you are what do you do with these 'filters' when they are finished??ya didnt think of that did yo?? surely they are really toxic and will be dumped in the sea or in a ditch since we live in ireland.
    sure **** it we should run our cars on ethanol, at least youd get a amazing performance.

oh ye i dont have back seats in it and im only 5'7 so i fit in nobother.

and yes you are a biased old fart and ill throw in arrogant too for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

as im a impressionable 12 year old you should listen to me on impressions as most others must get that impression too.
    wh wha what about filters?? your point just highlights how stupid you are what do you do with these 'filters' when they are finished??ya didnt think of that did yo?? surely they are really toxic and will be dumped in the sea or in a ditch since we live in ireland.
    What an erudite, lucid and well made point. I take it you're avoiding honours/higher level english for the Leaving then?

Do the world a favour - the next time you dig your head out of your ass for more than 5 minutes, think about what you say before you say it. You don't give a damn about emissions, but you expect SUV owners to. You don't care that your car could inflict more damage on another car, but you expect SUV owners to. You believe the world and its mother are arrogant pricks, while you neatly define the meaning of the phrase. Having people (?) like you speaking out against 4x4s is like having Gary Glitter as a babysitter. No thanks, I'd rather have the 4x4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

just got my first 4x4 AS was using one from work before that
    as far as mpg,does better than petrol cars and afraid had to tax and insure my self
    most people use 4x4 or vans with deiesel engines for work
    dont knock what you dont understand when it comes to people who use 4x4
    sure they are people who use 4x4 for other who are young ones who daddys bay for 4x4 and tax and insure it,but only small percentage as 90 % are used by people for work
    and when the day comes when fuel runs out ,there will still be 4x4 and vans and cars run another fuel as you know ,so get used to it

• Advertisement

What an erudite, lucid and well made point. I take it you're avoiding honours/higher level english for the Leaving then?

Do the world a favour - the next time you dig your head out of your ass for more than 5 minutes, think about what you say before you say it. You don't give a damn about emissions, but you expect SUV owners to. You don't care that your car could inflict more damage on another car, but you expect SUV owners to. You believe the world and its mother are arrogant pricks, while you neatly define the meaning of the phrase. Having people (?) like you speaking out against 4x4s is like having Gary Glitter as a babysitter. No thanks, I'd rather have the 4x4s.

look you are not understanding the point of my thread and this is goin way off the point.
    i wanted to see what the attraction to them is????? if you read my first post what the emissions are is just one point.
    i do care wat damage i inflict that is why i cycle pretty much everywhere as i am scared of destroying my car.
    well from what i see and hear when on the roads and in work id say 2 in every 5 people are ignorant idiots.(i park on the grass verge because i cant park on the road???? what the ****, there are others living in this country apart from you ya nob)btw you isnt referring to yourself its to the owner of the vehicle on the path/grass.
    and i am taking honours everything which i dont see what has to do with this thread and neither does gary glitter

the point of people in business using them is perfectly acceptable and diesel engines can run on nearly anything with the mods.
    but where i live the place is full of 2 wheel drive, hyundais,BMW X5,Range rovers with little middle aged oooumpa loompas behind the wheel.
    last night i was ran off the road by one on my bike,my bike has off road lights,i was wearing bright colours, she said she didnt see me!!!
    well i dont think that will hold up if the guards were involved

also i know the roads were ****e to begin with but they are starting to get even worse as these things increase,

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The appeal is quite simple:

High driving position
    Big wheels less likely to be damaged
    Go anywhere ability

Simple as that.

As a kid I aways wanted a fall guy 4x4.

http://community-2.webtv.net/mikecathycody/THEFALLGUYALLPICS/page3.html

:D

You seem to think you need a practical reason to own one. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

whats the attraction for people wanting 4x4s? same reason you want a mini, and others want a BMW, or a ferrari.. or whatever

Personally, I wouldnt take a mini if you gave me one for free..just doesnt do it for me. But Id take a Ferrari...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just so you know, X5's and Range Rovers are in fact 4 wheel drive........

• Advertisement

So an Subaru Imprezza or an Audi Quattro, WV 4Motion etc. Theres even a Fiat Panda 4x4.

ok they are 4x4,but still a heap of ****. but if i needed a jeep id go for either the toyota landcruiser or the land rover(the one with snorkel on it to drive in deep water) they are proper jeeps designed to go off road in africa and oz.

as for the scooby an fiat panda, the scooby is a rallycar at heart bit of a deathtrap if you want 4x4 its perfect a savage car, and fiat panda well, lets just say nothing to be safe.;)

so from what i have learned here is
    the 4x4 is a valuable and useful vehicle if you are a builder etc.

people who use them for comuting are just using them for the driving height and because they are trendy????

it says alot about a part of irish society:

they want to be high up to look down on people. (ignorant and snotty reflects on their personality)

Trendy.. well since i see them in american tv shows mostly driven by the sexy milf, this tells me that these people are so insecure that they have to spend all that money on a jeep to feel like a fictional american.
    i suppose this is reinforced if you take a look at what they wear and the fake tan and hairstyle.

so in ireland it is trendy to be somebody you are not.

ok they are 4x4,but still a heap of ****. but if i needed a jeep id go for either the toyota landcruiser or the land rover(the one with snorkel on it to drive in deep water) they are proper jeeps designed to go off road in africa and oz.

as for the scooby an fiat panda, the scooby is a rallycar at heart bit of a deathtrap if you want 4x4 its perfect a savage car, and fiat panda well, lets just say nothing to be safe.;)

You obviously know little about cars. But lets ignore that.
    so from what i have learned here is
    the 4x4 is a valuable and useful vehicle if you are a builder etc.

people who use them for comuting are just using them for the driving height and because they are trendy????

it says alot about a part of irish society:

If its an Irish thing then why are they so popular everywhere around the world.

they want to be high up to look down on people. (ignorant and snotty reflects on their personality)

By that logic if you are in a low car like a ferrari you don't look down on people? Someone driving a truck must think they are a fine thing altogether.
    Trendy.. well since i see them in american tv shows mostly driven by the sexy milf, this tells me that these people are so insecure that they have to spend all that money on a jeep to feel like a fictional american.
    i suppose this is reinforced if you take a look at what they wear and the fake tan and hairstyle.

so in ireland it is trendy to be somebody you are not.

Its not an Irish. People like toys. If you can afford them, expensive toys. Basically you begrudge anyone who has some money and can afford one.

Thats just snobbery.

You obviously know little about cars. But lets ignore that.

If its an Irish thing then why are they so popular everywhere around the world.

By that logic if you are in a low car like a ferrari you don't look down on people? Someone driving a truck must think they are a fine thing altogether.

Its not an Irish. People like toys. If you can afford them, expensive toys. Basically you begrudge anyone who has some money and can afford one.

Thats just snobbery.

ok well then the world must be 'americanised'

do you buy a 18 wheeled truck to commute?? no you buy it to work, nobody at all buys them in this country to bring the kids to school so your point about trucks is bull crap,

and what have i said wrong about cars???? sorry for my comment on a fiat but from what i have seen and heard the electrics in them may have been designed by a kid and they are overpriced tat, that muppets buy to put a stereo in.
    the scooby is a exec/family car with 4wheel drive and a 2l mpi flat4 turbo engine, a better use of 4x4 tech

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Can you tell me why you have a mini?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I've heard enough, does any snob here want to buy my X5? Ffs man, if you drive a mini you'll know how bad the roads are, especially around Cork and Kerry, thats the main reason people buy 4x4's because they are safer and better able to survive bad roads. Your notions of people who drive 4x4's being snob's are from another planet where you seem to spend a lot of time.

ok well then the world must be 'americanised'

do you buy a 18 wheeled truck to commute?? no you buy it to work, nobody at all buys them in this country to bring the kids to school so your point about trucks is bull crap,

and what have i said wrong about cars???? sorry for my comment on a fiat but from what i have seen and heard the electrics in them may have been designed by a kid and they are overpriced tat, that muppets buy to put a stereo in.
    the scooby is a exec/family car with 4wheel drive and a 2l mpi flat4 turbo engine, a better use of 4x4 tech

Maybe your view of the world is...'Americanized'

You simply made the point about height, nothing about bringing the kids to school. Either your point about height is valid or its a crock 'O'... If you are talking about bring kids to school, whats the safe alternative to a 4x4? A mini? A School Bus? Ummmm.

Fiat - maybe in the 80's that was true. But not now. Fiats produce some great cars with some cracking diesels. How are they overpriced? I would consider them some of the cheapest cars around, loaded with kit. Not a VW, but then you don't pay VW prices either. What are they over priced compared to? A Kia?

Does the Giugiaro Design Centre employ kids then?

scooby - How does dire fuel economy, high insurance, thief magnet make it a good exec/family car? How is using a Rally car a better use than a 4x4? A scooby as much a indulgence IMO.

wondering if person who started this post is for real or a bit of joker
    as everyone knows to in ireland which is old news,there more money around where all people drive better car,4x4,sports car,etc,more new on roads these days
    you can find fault with everything these day including bikes and minis
    reasond for people for using 4x4 differ from each person weather its for work or family or just like to drive 4x4
    my wife considers a bigger car or 4x4 safer to drive with the kids rather than small car and its choice and what you feel safe with,unless your in this position you will never fully understand it,as other also pointed out ,irish roads outside city are crap and also in some city roads as always ripping them up ,4x4 handle theses conditions better than a car and not bad on mpg as some cars,there alot of roads where you would not use a bike ,you would have to use a car or 4x4 or people carrier,you would have to use your mini,but l suspect you should know this,l think you abit of **** stirer,maybe where you use you bike the roads are smooth and easy to get around traffic,alot of use dont have things that easy
    also some of you bike users have alot of bad habits too,as seen on some forums,you no better when it comes to manners on roads,
    l would say you losing here as it wont change peoples views,as people needs are different in ther life in what they drive
    as mccolm said it in a few lines back in thread
    but l sure ,you still repeat it again ,over and over
    as you can also see cars ,4x4 and trucks, and people carriers are getting bigger in size
    a 4x4 is a all rounder for all types of use,and will get more popular in use by others,as l said before ,you can find faults with everything ,in cluding your bike and mini

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Bull Rush in rural Dublin 15

bulrush.jpg

Tough in the Park

IMG_4768.jpg

Commercial vehicles aren't allowed in the park. Bet hes happy you posted his licence plate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

Commercial vehicles aren't allowed in the park. Bet hes happy you posted his licence plate too.
    So a corolla with blanked off rear windows cannot drive through??

maidhc wrote:
    So a corolla with blanked off rear windows cannot drive through??

Ring the park and find out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe he's got a permit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I was not aware that the truck in question was a commercial vehicle. I have no problem, though, with publishing photos of vehicles with anti pedestrian additions to them.

Maybe he's got a permit ;)

Maybe :)
    joolsveer wrote:
    I was not aware that the truck in question was a commercial vehicle. I have no problem, though, with publishing photos of vehicles with anti pedestrian additions to them.

I look forward to seeing a campaign of strapping mattresses to large blunt vehicles, to protect iPod wears and mobile phone users. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭maidhc

I look forward to seeing a campaign of strapping mattresses to large blunt vehicles, to protect iPod wears and mobile phone users. :D

What about a variation of the cow catchers they fitted to locomotives in the wild west?

How about a snow plough for those jaywalkers?

joolsveer wrote:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How about a snow plough for those jaywalkers?
    LIKE IT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sighs....:(

Nothing good ever comes out of these 4x4 threads.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement