Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Possible free text scam.

• 06-04-2006 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

Hi, a frind of mine here got a text from some 085 number saying he'd get €5 free credit for meteor only, if he sent credit to 51188. He got a reply back from "Meteor", saying it would be applied by the 28th of April. Sounds very fishy to me, as i'm sure the number "Meteor" can be faked?
    Sound real?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

ring meteor and ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's a scam. The number can be faked.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

Aye, that's what i thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Hi, a frind of mine here got a text from some 085 number saying he'd get €5 free credit for meteor only, if he sent credit to 51188. He got a reply back from "Meteor", saying it would be applied by the 28th of April. Sounds very fishy to me, as i'm sure the number "Meteor" can be faked?
    Sound real?

the best option is call meteor and find out.and if its fake then they can do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone know anything further about this? All my friends texting me and telling me to text the number, "It really works!" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I rang Meteor this morning and they said it is real but its only for selected accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭sleur

orla wrote:
    I rang Meteor this morning and they said it is real but its only for selected accounts.

the shortcode resolves to Meteor

http://www.comreg.ie/numbering/num_sms_search.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

sleur wrote:

i thought it was a scam but it looks genuine now.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just chanced it there. (I didn't get the text in the sirst place, but am on Meteor).

The reply reads:

"5euro credit will be added to your phone by 28lApril if you received a mailing about free credit from Meteor recently. Credit will be applied only once per person."

I doubt I will get the credit. But it appears genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I rang them last night and the guy said it was not a valid promotion?

Sent the message anyway, fingers crossed :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement