Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone take money from your bank without permission?

Options
  • 06-04-2006 9:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

This relates to Paypal and the horror stories i read over at paypalsucks.com
    This is in regards an Irish bank account, PayPal do not allow for taking money out of your bank account to fund your PayPal.

But you can take funds out of PayPal and tranfer it into your bank account...or so they say?

My question is, i do not have any direct debits setup with PayPal, is there ANY circumstance whereby PayPal can simply TAKE funds from my bank account without my permission?

See, i have heard storied of people cancelling their PayPal accounts and like say a year later some fool decides to claim a chargeback...then PayPal raid your bank account of funds.

I just want to be assured that under any circumstance PayPal cannot dip into my account without my permission?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

Yeah its sh*t that paypal keep your details, but at the end of the day thats the law.

I really am not being smart here, but if you aint doing nothing dodgy...as in selling stuff to ebayers that doesnt work etc, then they will have no need to dip into your account for chargebacks i dont think??! On the other hand, if you are, or if you want to be totally sure u dont get scammed, then i would say the way to go about avoiding this is to close all ur related bank accounts and credit cards and open new accounts if you need them.

As for them dipping in without ur permission, when u join up im sure in the terms and conditions that we all agree to (we usually have to tick a little box or you wont be able to join),even tho this is usually 5 million pages and i dont think anyone really reads them, id say in here there is some clause that allows them to do such things!!

Edited to say i havnt checked out that website yet so havnt read the horror stories!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It's not "the law", it's what is stated in the user agreement...that has nothing to do with local laws. As for chanrgebacks...it's a well known Ebay scam!

Buyers claim a chargeback so as they get to keep the money and the item, i know i won't issues but i want to be sure is all, and they only way to be is to have my details removed.

My real concern is someone stealing my details from PayPal, setting up a new account and doing god knows what. 6 months down the line PayPal start sending the heavies after me when some scammer was responsible.

To my mind the only way to be sure is to erase all trace of me from the PayPal system, if they don't have my details i can't be scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

This relates to Paypal and the horror stories i read over at paypalsucks.com
    This is in regards an Irish bank account, PayPal do not allow for taking money out of your bank account to fund your PayPal.

But you can take funds out of PayPal and tranfer it into your bank account...or so they say?

My question is, i do not have any direct debits setup with PayPal, is there ANY circumstance whereby PayPal can simply TAKE funds from my bank account without my permission?

See, i have heard storied of people cancelling their PayPal accounts and like say a year later some fool decides to claim a chargeback...then PayPal raid your bank account of funds.

I just want to be assured that under any circumstance PayPal cannot dip into my account without my permission?
    In a word yes...its called the originator plus scheme which most of the high street banks sign up to. Basically its up to you to reject the claim with your bank if you dont agree with it and they refund you and obviously also debit the instigator of the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Richard, i'm sure i'm not alone in being sick of your paranoid postings!

Again you haven't bothered to look this up by yourself!
    A buyer has to make a complaint against the seller within 40 days of auction end. They can't turn around a year later and ask for a refund!

Also, you should (as you agreed to in the paypal TOS) be getting tracking numbers for items you send to people on ebay. That way, you will never be in the situation you have described, of someone receiving the item but claiming anyway to get their money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Since ebay cannot take money from your Irish Bank account at present, then no, it isn't possible in any way shape or form for Paypal to take money from your Irish bank account. Unless of course they forge your credentials and some convincing-looking DD forms. But then, any thief could do that.

As pointed out above, if someone does a chargeback on your Paypal account, then they can simply retrieve their funds from your credit card, or foreign bank account that you use with Paypal. This is something which most credit-card subscribing businesses can do.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

eth0_ wrote:

I wouldn't call them paranoid. But I don't garee with them, however I think Richard is deeply worried about the whole Paypal thing and this is born out of a bad experience and then total immersion in paypalsucks. Paypal can be difficult (!!) to deal with and they nearly breed this resentment towards them.

But hey - well done. You can give psychiatric diagnoses over the internet !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

eth0_ wrote:

Again you haven't bothered to look this up by yourself!
    A buyer has to make a complaint against the seller within 40 days of auction end. They can't turn around a year later and ask for a refund!

Also, you should (as you agreed to in the paypal TOS) be getting tracking numbers for items you send to people on ebay. That way, you will never be in the situation you have described, of someone receiving the item but claiming anyway to get their money back.

How rude! :mad: and how dare you delete my LEGITIMATE posting :mad:

I don't care if YOU think i am being paranoid, that is not a legitimate reason to delete my posting as nothing i said was offensive.

parsi wrote:

But hey - well done. You can give psychiatric diagnoses over the internet !

Where is the psychiatric diagnosis, pray tell? I said his posts are paranoid - and they are. He has been told repeatedly that financial institutions have an obligation to keep your details on file for X amount of years, AND that this is clearly outlined in the PayPal user agreement, but he obviously doesn't want to listen to the facts that people have given him.

How rude! :mad: and how dare you delete my LEGITIMATE posting :mad:

I don't care if YOU think i am being paranoid, that is not a legitimate reason to delete my posting as nothing i said was offensive.

Um...I didn't delete anything :confused:
    I'm not a mod on this board! I suggest you take it up with the mod of Consumer Issues.

eth0_ wrote:
    Where is the psychiatric diagnosis, pray tell? I said his posts are paranoid - and they are. He has been told repeatedly that financial institutions have an obligation to keep your details on file for X amount of years, AND that this is clearly outlined in the PayPal user agreement, but he obviously doesn't want to listen to the facts that people have given him.

And pray tell since when could an inanimate object such as a post be described as paranoid which is a term used to describe humans ?

Are his posts scrabbling around on the boards servers worried that other posts are going to attack (and maybe corrupt) them ? Maybe his posts are so paranoid that when they see a backup happening they think its a sign of the great purge ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

parsi wrote:
    And pray tell since when could an inanimate object such as a post be described as paranoid which is a term used to describe humans ?

Are his posts scrabbling around on the boards servers worried that other posts are going to attack (and maybe corrupt) them ? Maybe his posts are so paranoid that when they see a backup happening they think its a sign of the great purge ?
    I suggest youlook up the word becasuse it doesn't have to be used on humans alone. And as posts are effectively stating opinion and opinion can have charactersitics and intent they can be paranoid.

I agree the views stated are irrational and paranoid

*sigh*
    Parsi, there is a difference between being paranoid about _something_ (i.e. paypal plundering your bank account), and suffering from paranoia. Paranoia is a psychiatric condition, being paranoid about something is not.

Anyway, back on topic.

I think Richard might be confused because iirc in the USA paypal will let you fund purchases directly from your bank account and presumably, can take refunds from your bank account too. But that doesn't happen in Ireland and the UK.

I suggest youlook up the word becasuse it doesn't have to be used on humans alone. And as posts are effectively stating opinion and opinion can have charactersitics and intent they can be paranoid.

In that case it is the _opinion_ that is paranoid and not the post. The posts themselves are not paranoid.
    I agree the views stated are irrational and paranoid

*sigh*

Anyways lets get back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

parsi wrote:
    In that case it is the _opinion_ that is paranoid and not the post. The posts themselves are not paranoid.

*sigh*

Anyways lets get back on topic.

Common language use and understanding make it perfectly acceptable to refer to the "post" rather than say "the opinion in the post" get over it:p . The topic is covered by saying no and stop being paranoid.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

You are all paranoid,far to many disco biscuit's back in the 90s.Now can we stay on topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement