Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're evolved from fish not apes ;)

• 06-04-2006 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

so you saw these reports on tv about the 'fisapod' the missing link fossil between sea and water based mammals which has an elbow and wrist joint in its foward fins....

one of the bbc news presenters seemingly an intelligent man was doing an quick interview with a sciencetist on news24 when he said...

"so does that mean we not descendent from apes then"

Doh!

the sciencetist took the question at face value and said no that just earlier in the process...

im sure this thought crossed many people minds for about a milisecond, but it is strange how we don't really identify ourselves as evolving from fish, I guess apes are and nearest neighbours and still are...

I guess we have probably had plenty of "planet of the fish" B-movies

http://www.trollart.com/ via the ever interesting boingboing who says anotehr one in the eye for creationists?

ps this subject is evolution, couldn't really find a proper forum for it

maybe this forurm could be entitled archaeology and paleontology?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Biology Forum ?

We are not descended from fish.
    We are descended from Apes.
    It's the Apes who are descended from Fish ;)

go further back and sea squirts / anomonies feature. Just as worms appear in insect family lines. Oddly enough we are more closely related to our fish ancestor than sharks are to herring !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I agree, Biology Forum.

However, interesting stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I guess it depends how far back you wana go? But ill stick with the conservative angle and stay with the conventional Darwinisim thanks. However saying that a "Plant of the Fish" movie would be somthing worth going to Hollywood with, may i suggest a musical slant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Rachelann

Thats one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

then you could say that apes are not descended from fish. Humans are only a dot on the evolutionary scale. We descended ultimatly from fish. About 380mya the first animal walked on land. We have the earliest in situe example of that in valencia co kerry. I could go on and on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lifeisawarfield

I agree that we have evoloved from fish, If you think hard enough about it and have reseached it, you will find the millions of years ago, when meteors crashed into the earth and gave the ball of inhabital planet, water. And maybe a few more millions of years after that, the first life forms, or as you may call, rocks, gave us our oxygen. I will soon find a link proving my point. Millions of years later, the organisms in the water evolved. They eventually became what we call fish.

Evolution takes many millions of years to take affect, and as you well should know, those fish, soon evolved into the very first land animals, or reptiles if you will. I will not carry on, but as you can guess from the information i have giving, that, over millions and millions of year, the very first mamals walked the earth. which soon evolved into apes, then, chimps, and other species of monkey branched out.

sorry if any of you out there are confussed by this information i have given.:pac::confused::o:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I evolved from my folks, they came from fish, not me ! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lifeisawarfield

Lol. Quiet true. My great great great great great great *breathe* great grandma. ^^ Times a thousand =]. Was an ape. Isn't that funny thought. She must have had dinner with her grandma, not much to talk about, "so what have you been up to?" "bob,bob,bob,bob" =P

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

fish, soon evolved into the very first land animals, or reptiles if you will
    Amphibians came before reptiles. Of course if you want to get really technical the arthropods beat them to the land by some stretch of time.

very first mamals walked the earth. which soon evolved into apes, then, chimps, and other species of monkey branched out.

Monkeys came long before the first true apes. A chimp is also an ape.

I'll just point out a common misconception before anyone asks. No humans didn't evolve from chimps, gorillas or any other form of living ape, but rather now extinct forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Galvasean wrote: »
    No humans didn't evolve from chimps, gorillas or any other form of living ape, but rather now extinct forms.

No they are not extinct.

Just go to Wall Street,New York.

There are exotic primitive life forms inhabiting that habitat I tell ya.

Advertisement