Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

£1 punt

• 06-04-2006 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if the irish £1 pound note has much value?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

ive one of those also would be worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

In that condition, you won't get much more than 3 Euro for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll give you €1.27 for it - tops!!!

I don't reckon they're worth anything yet - there's loads of them about in drawers, jars etc...... In 20 years it might fetch €5.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mega:one

why dont you check out ebay, might give you a better help.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

I dont know anything about this sort of thing , but id say your best off holding on to it for a few more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Saw one on ebay recently for GB£2.00 buy-it-now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

MrSinn wrote:
    Does anybody know if the irish £1 pound note has much value?

No. Even the previous "Lady Lavery" one is only worth a few Euros. There are countless numbers of them out there.

If it is uncirculated (which it isn't) and has a serial number composed of the same numbers eg. 22222222 you may get €10 for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Thats a good point. Several factors kick in to the valuation of Irish Banknotes.

1. Date, some are scarcer than others. If its a first date issue, then even in mildly used condition it will be sought after. In the case of the Maeve (Famine Victim Punt), look for 10.06.77.

2. Signature combination
    3. The number, or letter code. Heres where I used to be clever and make a few quid on the side. A triple letter on Irish Banknotes indicates that it is a replacement note. On O'Connell 20's it was BBB in the 1992 issue. Fivers HHH Tenners JJJ, Fifties KKK, and these are much scarcer than the regular issue.

A replacement note means that there was an error in the printing process, so a new note would have to be shoved in to the wad to replace the flawed note.

4. As an aside, there were about 10 Million outstanding Pound notes. There are roughly 4 Million Fivers. The really scarce one, oddly enough happens to be the 100 Pound note. That had a limited print run. But if you had 1 x mint 100 Pound note vs 20 x mint ATM Fresh Fivers, you would be far better off with the Fivers.

5. Back in the early 90's, I could get Lady Lavery Pound notes and Ten Shilling notes for 3 or 4 Pounds each, and these were from the 1930's. They had lost a huge amount of their value relative to inflation.

Advertisement