Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Out of Date Tax

Options
  • 06-04-2006 10:07pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just realized today that my tax is out of date since the end of February... Usually they send me a form in the post and I do it on the net but this month maybe it got lost in the post or something... Anyway.. I got on the phone today on my lunch break to try and get them to send me a form or maybe by some miracle sort it out over the phone :rolleyes: but I was put on hold for the duration of my lunch break...So I shall have to try again tomorrow to alleviate the problem...But.. If I am unlucky enough to be stopped between now and the time I get my up to date disc in my window what is the worst that can happen to me??? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

http://oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/motor_tax_rates.html

I think the details are in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

It's expensive enough if you are caught. You pay a fine for not displaying a current disc and then you must pay the backtax and a penalty.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

In my experience, if it's up to 2 months out of date, an inspecting Garda at a checkpoint will say, "you know your tax is up?", and you say "yes Garda, I'll get it sorted right away", and that's that.

Up to 5 months out and you'll probably get a ticket or request to get it sorted and present at the station within 5 days. DO THIS! Go over 6, and you probably won't be allowed to carry on driving from the checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Must have been a bad morning for this garda then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

xzanti wrote:
    If I am unlucky enough to be stopped between now and the time I get my up to date disc in my window what is the worst that can happen to me??? :o

Worst case scenario: Summons for no tax.

Probable scenario: Ticket costing approx €60

If you let the car go more than 3 months out of tax it can be seized off you and you can only reclaim it when you have back taxed it and also pay the release fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you can get a form in the tax office, or you can download it from your county's council website.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

do you get penalty points for not displaying a current tax disc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Barr wrote:

NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Barr wrote:

no*, just a fine, but traffic wardens now have the power to iniate such a fine, so use a multi-storey os some other non "public place", and at home park you car on your driveway within the "curtilage" of your house

*well if you are pedantic, possible yes as "Failure to act in accordance with a Garda signal" attract 1 penalty point, so if you were given an informal warning by a garda and told to fix your tax situation this could be a verbal "signal"! pedantic yes but could happen because the language is sufficiently vague...

Advertisement