Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Hotxt: The Skype of SMS?

• 06-04-2006 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

First off, sorry if this sounds like a shill.

I've heard about this thing called Hotxt, which as far as I understand is a Java app you run on your phone, and it uses GPRS to send text messages for cheap.

I was looking at their website there and it seems to be UK only. Does anyone know if there is an Irish version? Any experiences with Hotxt?

It could really be the killer app for GPRS if it takes off.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

plazzTT wrote:
    First off, sorry if this sounds like a shill.

I've heard about this thing called Hotxt, which as far as I understand is a Java app you run on your phone, and it uses GPRS to send text messages for cheap.

I was looking at their website there and it seems to be UK only. Does anyone know if there is an Irish version? Any experiences with Hotxt?

It could really be the killer app for GPRS if it takes off.
    i would also love to find out if this is available in ireland. but i have not heard of it being here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

There was an article in Friday's Irish Times if I'm not mistaken. Looks very appealing!

approx how much will texts cost with this service.would it not be expensive if you have to have your gprs on all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,019 ✭✭✭✭Basq

drdre wrote:
    ..would it not be expensive if you have to have your gprs on all the time..
    GPRS costs is calculated by data sent, not by time connected.

basquille wrote:
    GPRS costs is calculated by data sent, not by time connected.

alright thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Closed user group messaging, is it really all that exciting? They charge crazy money for it too. I'm sure you can find J2ME MSN type of apps where you can do this for "free", eg just the data charges.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Closed user group messaging, is it really all that exciting? They charge crazy money for it too. I'm sure you can find J2ME MSN type of apps where you can do this for "free", eg just the data charges.

This is all high teck jargon for me!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Blaster99 wrote:

I think it's something like 1e a week,plus data which would be about 3c for each text I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Pythia wrote:
    I think it's something like 1e a week,plus data which would be about 3c for each text I think.

Is the data charge from Hotxt or your operator?

I didn't think GPRS data charges were that expensive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

plazzTT wrote:
    Is the data charge from Hotxt or your operator?

I didn't think GPRS data charges were that expensive.

data charge is from your phone provider, unfortunatly this service won't work on Three :(
    Should do no problem on O2, Vodafone & Meteor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yeah but 3 has or will have MSN, which is free (apart from the data charges I'm guessing).

As I mentioned before, if you're going to go for something that requires an application on your phone, then why not pick something reasonably standard like MSN or whatever the favourite chat tool of the month is? I haven't looked into this stuff in great detail as I detest texting, but I'm fairly sure I've come across lots of free apps that hook up to the normal free Internet chat services. There's absolutely no reason to pay for this, despite people being conditioned to think that paying 10c for 165 bytes of data somehow represents value.

Advertisement