Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Who - what was and what's left

• 07-04-2006 12:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just looking at an Old Grey Whistle Test performance from The Who, unfortunately it's mimed. Even so I really love watching old footage from them, John Entwhistle and Keith Moon are just animals. Watching them both is watching two different scales of rocking out. Entwhistle is shoegazing here before Kevin Shields had discovered the joys of walking and Moon does for drumming what Ian Curtis did for dancing. The other two still do nothing for me. Yeah it's cool when Pete Townshend levels the stage and he's a great guitarist but I don't like watching him play. I don't know why. And Daltry would come bottom of the pile, he's just a Robert Plant-a-like in my ears. He's good but like Townshend, there's something I'm just not digging. Just a few musings from me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You need a copy of the Isle Of Wight DVD. While Entwistle and Moon are my clear Champions I've a lot of time for Rog and Pete.I've read a few books about The Who and I think anyone who could stick with a band that disfunctional deserves big respect. They really hated each other yet still procuced some of the most exciting music I've ever heard (not on the albums though, the live stuff). Besides, Roger was doing Robert Plant before Robert Plant was doing Robert Plant. Legends all :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

John2 wrote:
    He's good but like Townshend, there's something I'm just not digging. Just a few musings from me.

Come on! Townshend did write all the music!

Entwhistle was a genius, and I think they never should have toured again as The 'Oo after he died.

The juries still out on Keith Moon. Listen to the re-released full-version of Live at Leeds and his timing is all over the place.

He was amazing when he was younger (go watch "Shimmy Shake" on The Kids are Alright), but in later years his lifestyle caught up with him to the point that by 1977 Pete Townshend was threatening to kick him out because he really couldn't play anymore.

Tony Fletcher's biography of Moon (Dear Boy) is one of the best rock biogs out there.

Hard to believe that Moon was only 32 when he died - he looked about 42.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Doctor J wrote:
    You need a copy of the Isle Of Wight DVD.
    Duly noted
    Besides, Roger was doing Robert Plant before Robert Plant was doing Robert Plant. Legends all :D
    I was waiting for someone to say that. I got into the Who after I got into Zeppelin so I find it hard not to think of Plant first.
    True but Moon and Entwhistle made it come alive for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Doctor J wrote:
    You need a copy of the Isle Of Wight DVD.

If i end up getting a present for my friend for her birthday(yes, i did say IF), you have givin me the best idea EVER! wow. But i might appeared damaged if she got it cos of my continual watchin of such a show! Just depends on how much though. im off lookin. Thanks again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Gilbag

Pete is incredible live, the others are great but it's hard to wrench your eyes off him, I don't know how you wouldn't enjoy his performance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone is doubting Pete! Thats not on, without him there would be no Who.
    They are all great rock artists I don't care if Moons all over the place at times he is still the best rock drummer so far. Daltrey is the original rock frontman (no Jagger does'nt count in my book, far too mincy). Imagine the Who without either Pete or Rog - it could'nt happen

The older I get the more I appreciate the Whos' qualities and much of that quality is in thier human failings.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭violetdream

Entwhistle was a genius, and I think they never should have toured again as The 'Oo after he died.

The juries still out on Keith Moon. Listen to the re-released full-version of Live at Leeds and his timing is all over the place.

He was amazing when he was younger (go watch "Shimmy Shake" on The Kids are Alright), but in later years his lifestyle caught up with him to the point that by 1977 Pete Townshend was threatening to kick him out because he really couldn't play anymore.

Tony Fletcher's biography of Moon (Dear Boy) is one of the best rock biogs out there.

Hard to believe that Moon was only 32 when he died - he looked about 42.

eh wha?

Moons drumming is amazing at leeds---the who should have broken up after moon died----they are not the same without him...

the guy is a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

eh wha?

Moons drumming is amazing at leeds---the who should have broken up after moon died----they are not the same without him...

the guy is a legend

He's a legend all right, but for the wrong reasons!

As I said before, listen to the *full* re-released Live at Leeds, especially 'Heaven and Hell', is tempo is all over the place.

I don't deny he was a groundbreaking (literally!) drummer, but in his early years. He peeked on Who's Next, after that it was all downhill.

True, like the Zep, they probably should have broken up, and definately not have used Kenney Jones. I'm not saying he wasn't a good drummer, but he was totally unsuited for The Who.

Zak Starkey was the best of their post-Moon drummers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Lifeson

I have to disagree, the drumming in 'The Who By Numbers' is stunning, check out 'However Much I Booze' (probably my favorite) I think it's their best album.

Advertisement