Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Armchair Driver - Button

• 07-04-2006 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

Watching the GP the other day after the safety car pulled in when Button was in front of Alonso.

Button seemed to run wide at the last corner, tyre temp. I presume. This allowed Alonso to be on his gear box for the pit straight. Now when I was watching it I said (out loud) "come off the throttle, he can't over take you anyway and then try to get the drop on him".

Now I know it's easy for me to sit there and comment but I think it's stuff like that that makes world champions. Aware of everything going on. MS has this going on and Alonso definitely seems to have it.

This is also why I think Alonso is better than Raikonnen. I'd say on his day KR is faster but I don't think he has the overall package Alonso has.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Once JB put his foot down to have a go, and the car ran wide it was enough for Alonso to get him. If JB had have lifted and then gone back on the throttle I think the FIA would have had words. And the marshals would have had a lot of mopping up to do as the cars further back assume everyone is gone up the straight and Whammo.... into the back of someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

But it's the done thing (or rather it was) for the leader to bunch up the pack before the restart. I know the leader has to keep within a specified distance of the safety car but it happend at, now I think of it the 2nd last corner. The left hander right before the pit entrance. The safety car would have pulled in at that stage.

Button could have eased off and then BANG go for it as is normally the case.

Have the FIA implemented something to stop those shenangians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

He would have run wide, or got a load of TC - cold tyres are horrible things, cant do much on them. Renault were on a different compound to Honda, so Alonso didnt suffer as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Kersh wrote:
    He would have run wide, or got a load of TC - cold tyres are horrible things, cant do much on them. Renault were on a different compound to Honda, so Alonso didnt suffer as much.

Yea, the renault chassis was sickenenly seussed for Alonso, it was like he was driving a different track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Scober11

I'm sure there is a regulation about lifting on the restart as they have a reg for everything else it seems, maybe Honda could put in a Flexi throttle!

In fairness to Button he was racing with a sick engine, how scabby was that for a ending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Kersh wrote:
    If JB had have lifted and then gone back on the throttle I think the FIA would have had words.

They can have all the words they want but by their own and very detailed regualtions they dont govern anything like that. Until the first car behind the safety car goes across the start/finish line then it dictates the pace.
    At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary, fall more than five car lengths behind it.

Jenson is not a winner. Winner by default maybe. He shows no racing instincts[like Damon Hill really]. Alonso and Kimmi [with the right car] are unbelievable. I remember watching Schumi in the early years and the difference is the ability to concentrate. Alonso and Kimmi can fight[not with each other yet] right to the ragged edge and still stay in control but Schumi is an old man and has lost the edge unfortunately. He made 2 mistakes on his final lap when he was pushing hard and should have accomodated for the understeer the car was developing but his edge is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

chern0byl wrote:
    Alonso and Kimmi can fight[not with each other yet] right to the ragged edge and still stay in control but Schumi is an old man and has lost the edge unfortunately. He made 2 mistakes on his final lap when he was pushing hard and should have accomodated for the understeer the car was developing but his edge is gone.

That's pretty harsh. He made mistakes because he was forced to push beyond the limits of the car to be competitive. He's not the driver he once was but its unfair to say Alonso doesn't make mistakes when he's cruising around in an untouchable Renault while Schumacher has to drive on the ragged edge every lap to fight for a good position.

steviec wrote:
    That's pretty harsh.

I am just stating what is a fact.:) Alonso has a better car so if Schumi wants to beat him he has dig deep in himself. I dont think that hunger is there anymore. I have watched Schumi from day 1 and seen his driving progress and it is in recession for many years. His priorities changed when he had his family. Retire before he taints his history. I want to be proven wrong though!

I think Shumey is driving beyond the car in all honesty. I think he's getting the car around the track making it look a little more respectable than it is.

I think Imola will see what the season's gonna be like. Back to Europe normally sees all the car updates etc. If Ferarri aren't anywhere in the next few races, good luck! That's it for them I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Those Midland cars were awfully helpful to Alonso on the restarts though and maybe if they hadn't allowed him to speed off into the distance then the outcome would have been different?

• Advertisement

He really was blessed wasn't he - twice!!!

Ay Cee wrote:
    I think Imola will see what the season's gonna be like.

You cant judge anything from Imola. Its not a genuine race track. Just look at last years race. Schumacher was the quickest guy on track and nearly had the win and then compare that to every other race where he was nowhere.

Advertisement