Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Version of FF7...

Options
  • 07-04-2006 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know why the PC version of FF7 would look so much worse then the playstation version?

On the PS it looks good. But in the PC version, all of the backgrounds are so pixely it's not even funny, it takes away from how nice they actually are.

So i decided to use an emulator to run the PSX version. With FSAA and Sprite filtering etc it looks great! A little bit buggy, takes some tuning but it looks fantastic.

ePSXe FTW!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PC uses the same prerendered backgrounds as on the PS1. The pixelation is more noticable since the backgrounds are 320x240. On a clear PC monitor it is very noticable but on a CRT which is quite blurry it adds a smoothing and anti aliasing effect to the game making it look a bit higher in resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I seem to remember the PC version being capable of running in a higher resolution than the PS version (as far as I can remember they actually had hands rather than the little stumps they have on the PS?). Problem was, it was a buggy pile of crap and kept crashing, so I ended up getting the PS version as well. It wasn't nice going from the high-res PC graphics to the PS graphics, but it meant I could play for longer than an hour without the game crashing.

Edit: Oh yeah, the music in the PC version is midi, which is sh1te, even with the Yamaha synthesizer included on the CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The PC uses the same prerendered backgrounds as on the PS1. The pixelation is more noticable since the backgrounds are 320x240. On a clear PC monitor it is very noticable but on a CRT which is quite blurry it adds a smoothing and anti aliasing effect to the game making it look a bit higher in resolution.

There is a patch that allows you to play at resolution of 1280x1024, but this only seems to effect the characters, world map and battle scenes. The Backgrounds are still pixelated tripe.

Like the best game i think that was ever made, and it just got no attention on the PC.... =(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There is a patch that allows you to play at resolution of 1280x1024, but this only seems to effect the characters, world map and battle scenes. The Backgrounds are still pixelated tripe.

Thats what I meant about the low res backgrounds. Still the battles looked better on a 3DFX enabled machine. Wouldn't work with most other cards including my Power VR :(

The music was indeed midi and indeed ****e. If you wanted decent sound 50% of your processor speed had to go to the yamaha synthesiser. One Winged Angel, the most iconic track in the whole game was also missing from the final battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Thats what I meant about the low res backgrounds. Still the battles looked better on a 3DFX enabled machine. Wouldn't work with most other cards including my Power VR :(

The music was indeed midi and indeed ****e. If you wanted decent sound 50% of your processor speed had to go to the yamaha synthesiser. One Winged Angel, the most iconic track in the whole game was also missing from the final battle.

I have to say...that game rocked my world.... i got so good, i could kill Emerald weapon in 1 min 29 seconds....

• Advertisement

The Backgrounds are still pixelated tripe.

Werl, the backgrounds were pre-rendered stills, so the only way to improve the quality of them would be to re-render them at a higher resolution, or do some blurring or something with image editing software (which wouldn't look very nice either).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I've had it for a while (can't find disc since last format :( )... but with the right patches it runs perfectly, i mean... they had hands for God's sake. A bit awkward to use with the arrow keys though, better getting a contoller.

Rhyme wrote:
    they had hands for God's sake

This was something that really bugged me about the PS version for some reason - as if the characters weren't cartoony enough as they were, they went and replaced their hands with stumps! Really makes it hard to take the storyline seriously.

Sico wrote:
    This was something that really bugged me about the PS version for some reason - as if the characters weren't cartoony enough as they were, they went and replaced their hands with stumps! Really makes it hard to take the storyline seriously.
    Especially when Barrett would swing around those chunks of flesh...

A similar deal in Skies of Arcadia (3 fingers; thumb, index and a lump for the rest... penguin style)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

it KEPT crashing on me just after ya get cid...I gave up...its so annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Retr0gamer wrote:
    One Winged Angel, the most iconic track in the whole game was also missing from the final battle.

No it wasn't. I only ever played the PC version and I immediately recognised the song when I heard it afterwards, so it had to be included. In mine, anyway.

And I don't remember the backgrounds being especially bad. Surely the PC version had a graphics page where you could up them?

Zillah wrote:
    No it wasn't. I only ever played the PC version and I immediately recognised the song when I heard it afterwards, so it had to be included. In mine, anyway.

And I don't remember the backgrounds being especially bad. Surely the PC version had a graphics page where you could up them?

It's a disgraceful midi version of the track. The psf version with the choir was far better on the PS1.

I didn't see anything wrong with the PC graphics either. The higher res and filtering made the battles look a lot nicer than the PS1 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

I got played the game a good while back and I dont remember the backround being bad. In fact I though it was better then the PS version, specially when we got the joypad working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It's a disgraceful midi version of the track. The psf version with the choir was far better on the PS1.

Oh my God. With this revelation I got my hands on the original and its so much better!

Zillah wrote:
    Oh my God. With this revelation I got my hands on the original and its so much better!

There's a fully orchestrated version floating around that sounds excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Retr0gamer wrote:
    There's a fully orchestrated version floating around that sounds excellent.

Wooh drunken borads!!!!! I like orchestras alot. The guitar vewriosn solo is cpar. #why you neeed to listene to sony whuy Sephiroyj s great whwn you're beating his face iooff is beyone me. If anythning you shoud be listneing to why he is crap

nd a morhter biy. Unfrtunatle ducha song doesnot exist andtheerfore VII is of poor qualityuy.

EDit: FFVI is > than VI which is capr. Spngebibp/ whof. Naneh nameh wayye,

grimloch wrote:
    Wooh drunken borads!!!!! I like orchestras alot. The guitar vewriosn solo is cpar. #why you neeed to listene to sony whuy Sephiroyj s great whwn you're beating his face iooff is beyone me. If anythning you shoud be listneing to why he is crap

nd a morhter biy. Unfrtunatle ducha song doesnot exist andtheerfore VII is of poor qualityuy.

EDit: FFVI is > than VI which is capr. Spngebibp/ whof. Naneh nameh wayye,
    *Slap*

Sig quote edited accordingly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

grimloch wrote:
    FFVI is > than VI which is capr. Spngebibp/ whof. Naneh nameh wayye,
    Whoaa! Translation please :D

I must get drunken posting lessons from you. You have managed to keep a semblence of dignity about your person. Far better than I did with my hilarious at the time of posting drunken oblivion bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Hmmm. Well I have no proper explanation for that. I for one blame the government.

• Advertisement
Advertisement