Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7600gt

Options
  • 07-04-2006 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

As with a lot of people I'm upgrading my PC for Oblivion.
    I was just wondering how solid a card the Geforce 7600GT is.

It looks pretty cheap for a card in the 7000 range.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yes it will run the game just fine. Though if you pay a small bit more this will run the game a bit better at least with the latest ATI driver.

Really either one will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

One concern I have is that my PSU is rated at 300watts, but the 7600 mentions 350 watts as a requirement.
    Does this mean I shouldn't get this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jimmy365

It means you should get a new PSU >350W!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Yeah, might as well.
    Thanks guys.

In all likely hood unless you got a load of hard drives in the system or anything else that draws a lot power from the PSU then it should work fine but it wouldnt hurt to update the PSU anyway get something in the 400w range and thats all you'll need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

going on 8T8's reccomendation. i got a 7600gt extreme card. Oblivion now plays with everything maxed execpt grass which is at zero (because i dont like it) still plays great with it maxed no slow down so i would say go for it.
    my system is a 3.2 ghz with 1g ram and a 350w psu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

8T8 wrote:
    In all likely hood unless you got a load of hard drives in the system or anything else that draws a lot power from the PSU then it should work fine but it wouldnt hurt to update the PSU anyway get something in the 400w range and thats all you'll need.

While PSU's are being mentioned - I'm sure a lot of people have good basic high/high-end Dell equipment but want to get a decent video card. Have anyone here have to replace their PSU that came with the box or were able to use it? Anyone try? Might b ordering one later this year. A Pentium D 3Ghz+ with 2Gb and probably Raid-0 320Gb would be nice. Surely Dell wouldn't skimp on the powersupply.

Frankly skimping on the PSU is exactly the kind of thing Dell would do.

Unless you bought a Dell system which came with a high end graphics card to begin with I would say Dell would have put in the minimum needed for the system.

8T8 wrote:
    Frankly skimping on the PSU is exactly the kind of thing Dell would do.

Unless you bought a Dell system which came with a high end graphics card to begin with I would say Dell would have put in the minimum needed for the system.

Thought so... ATX PSU are still variety these days? I would assume I could simply replace Dell's with at least a 350W. The 7600GT definitely seems to be the sweet spot out there at the moment.

Yeah ATX are still the standard as whether Dell still adhere to that standard with there own custom wired PSU is another matter even though it uses the same ATX power connector.

I know they did in the the past but unfortunately I've not seen any current list to see if they are up to their old tricks again. The only info I've seen on it is this with a list of some models not affected.

I'd try asking Dell or do a Google for propriety Dell PSU and whatever make and model Dell you have to see what comes back if you want to be a 100% sure.

• Advertisement

Sound Advice. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

i personally prefare NVIDIA so i would go for a 7600GT. dont let this influence your decision though.;)

Advertisement