Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus or Golf?

Options
  • 07-04-2006 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am looking for opinions from Golf or Focus Drivers, especially those who have driven both.

As I am trying to by a second hand Golf at the moment and have noticed what good value the Focus is compared to the Golf. It is for my wife and aesthetically we both prefer the Golf, but you seem to get more for less when it comes to the Focus and the reviews seem great.

Whats you view/comments?

Thanks

Redman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

redman wrote:
    Hi All

I am looking for opinions from Golf or Focus Drivers, especially those who have driven both.

As I am trying to by a second hand Golf at the moment and have noticed what good value the Focus is compared to the Golf. It is for my wife and aesthetically we both prefer the Golf, but you seem to get more for less when it comes to the Focus and the reviews seem great.

Whats you view/comments?

Thanks

Redman

Golf is overpriced and everyone has one, the Focus is good value for money but again everyone has one as well. Drove both, didnt like either. Golf was very boucy on road and Focus was a bore to drive, no fun.

Resell value on Golf would be better with them holding there value, the Focus because there is so many for sale second hand you need to drop the price to try and get rid of it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd say avoid base models in either. 1.4 engines are underpowered also.

Both are fine all round cars.

Have a look at www.parkers.co.uk and www.honestjohn.co.uk and after that
    test drive both.

p.s. Service costs opn VW's sound horrific btw.

I have a 1.4 focus. It feels a bit underpowered at this engine size, but then again the golf will be too at this engne size. Go for a 1.6 or higher if you want a bit more zip.

I would disagree with Big Nelly about its handling, its alot of fun in the corners thanks to its multi-link rear suspension. The Focus was widely acclaimed to be the best handeling car in its class. The Golf didn't get this setup until the new Mk5 Golf.

My advice go for the cheaper and more fun Focus. (And seemingly more reliable than the golf!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Great feedback, Yes the 1.6 will be the engine we'll go for.

We have restricted it to these two models now primarily for seating position for my petit wife. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

I drive a 1.8 TDCi zetec focus. It is fantastic to drive and I dont know where Nelly is coming from. I drive an Avensis a lot, and in comparison to the focus the toyota is like a boat of some description.

The golf apparently has a squishy dash that causes english motoring journalists to salivate, but apart from that it is very plain. The resale value of the focus was very high for a long time, but the new model has softened things up a lot I think.

There does not appear to be any reason to suspect the focus will be less reliable than a golf.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    I drive a 1.8 TDCi zetec focus. It is fantastic to drive and I dont know where Nelly is coming from. I drive an Avensis a lot, and in comparison to the focus the toyota is like a boat of some description.

The golf apparently has a squishy dash that causes english motoring journalists to salivate, but apart from that it is very plain. The resale value of the focus was very high for a long time, but the new model has softened things up a lot I think.

There does not appear to be any reason to suspect the focus will be less reliable than a golf.

the 1.8 petrol? havent a clue what TDCi means....lol....I was in the 1.6 version and I nearly fell asleep....hated it to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

If you are worried about resale dont buy an LX focus. I am selling my 02 focus ghia (paid 17k) ... getting 12k for it. Great to drive and very comfortable. very reliable also

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Big Nelly wrote:
    the 1.8 petrol? havent a clue what TDCi means....lol....I was in the 1.6 version and I nearly fell asleep....hated it to drive

TDCI is a diesel engine, and they are excellent.

Focus is the undisputed class leader as regards handling btw.

The Zetec series has sports seats, and suspension with better wheels and tyres. A 1.6 Zetec petrol is a good fun car on a limited budget.

TDCI is a diesel engine, and they are excellent.

Focus is the undisputed class leader as regards handling btw.

The Zetec series has sports seats, and suspension with better wheels and tyres. A 1.6 Zetec petrol is a good fun car on a limited budget.

I will stick with my 1.9Tdi 130Bhp:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Golf = not as nice to drive and overpriced, newer models not as reliable as focus

Focus = cheaper nicer to drive but not as good looking as the golf.

Top gear reviewed all these type of cars on one of their shows last season and said even though the new focus was the ugliest it was by far the class leader.

I drvie a toyota but my brother had a focus, the only thing that ever needed replacing was the tyres from normal wear.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:

The TDCi puts out 115bhp according to ford, although anyone who has had one tested has found the engine to put out at least 125bhp! Very close match for the slightly heavier Golf GT TDI 130 on the straight! :)

The TDCi might be an option for the OP, it is very "petrol like" to drive, and although as rare as hens teeth, they dont seem to have a massive premium over the petrols.

maidhc wrote:
    The TDCi puts out 115bhp according to ford, although anyone who has had one tested has found the engine to put out at least 125bhp! Very close match for the slightly heavier Golf GT TDI 130 on the straight! :)

The TDCi might be an option for the OP, it is very "petrol like" to drive, and although as rare as hens teeth, they dont seem to have a massive premium over the petrols.

I dont drive a Golf, as you see above I hate them, I like my Passat........not sure why Ford would say 115Bhp and you think it is 125Bhp, they wouldnt down scale the Bhp in a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

get a beelte with 18's

now thats fun to drive

Big Nelly wrote:
    I dont drive a Golf, as you see above I hate them, I like my Passat........not sure why Ford would say 115Bhp and you think it is 125Bhp, they wouldnt down scale the Bhp in a car

To be honest i'd love to test every new car i bought for bhp as I never trust those figures, on a side note i don't think 15bhp should be a deciding factor as it is going to be driven by a petite lady. I doubt she is a nutter on the road and would ever end up saying "Damn if only I had bought the golf that extra 15bhp, I would have showed that boy racer a thing or two"

Big Nelly wrote:

My Mum is bigger than your Dad! :D

My new Focus, being delivered on Monday next, has almost 100bhp more than that! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Vegeta wrote:
    To be honest i'd love to test every new car i bought for bhp as I never trust those figures, on a side note i don't think 15bhp should be a deciding factor as it is going to be driven by a petite lady. I doubt she is a nutter on the road and would ever end up saying "Damn if only I had bought the golf that extra 15bhp, I would have showed that boy racer a thing or two"

She certainly is a good calm driver, it's just that she used to 1.25 in a fiesta and we found the 1.4 sluggish in the Golf when driving on the M50 as a comparison.
    But we do want to stick to Petrol though...

The Focus is tempting us now....

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Last two cars were a Golf TDi 100bhp and before that a 1.4 Focus.

The Focus is a much better car for handling back roads etc, but I was doing a good bit of motorway driving and it crucified me on petrol. Then again, I have a heavy right foot and tended to cruise at a few mph above the speed limit.

The Golf is great for motorways/main roads, and the torque is just fantastic. A bit too soft for back roads though - but man, that torque! Went from getting 370 miles to a tank in the Focus to 550 in the Golf (roughly same size tank), and probably pushed the Golf a bit more than the Focus.

Focus TDCi may be the best of both worlds. I've only had a test drive in an older Focus TDDi and wasn't overly impressed with the delivery of power, the Golf was much more impressive.

Good luck either way, both good cars with pro's and cons, and definitely the class leaders imho.

conor_mc wrote:
    Last two cars were a Golf TDi 100bhp and before that a 1.4 Focus.

The Focus is a much better car for handling back roads etc, but I was doing a good bit of motorway driving and it crucified me on petrol. Then again, I have a heavy right foot and tended to cruise at a few mph above the speed limit.

The Golf is great for motorways/main roads, and the torque is just fantastic. A bit too soft for back roads though - but man, that torque! Went from getting 370 miles to a tank in the Focus to 550 in the Golf (roughly same size tank), and probably pushed the Golf a bit more than the Focus.

Focus TDCi may be the best of both worlds. I've only had a test drive in an older Focus TDDi and wasn't overly impressed with the delivery of power, the Golf was much more impressive.

Good luck either way, both good cars with pro's and cons, and definitely the class leaders imho.

Conor MC is right TDCI if you could get it but as already stated they are rare. Defo test drive both if ya have the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

I have a focus 1.6 zetec 01(old model) , great car so far, handling is brilliant and its quite quick, i looked at golfs too when i was buying and went for focus, you get more for less, cheaper to service, and imo just as reliable if not more so than a golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tiger Jim

I have a TDCi 115 Focus and it is way better than any VAG TDI in every department. End of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I have a 01 Focus 1.4 and it is a dream to drive. I seem to recall that anythimg apart from fours doors and the seats, is an extra in the Golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I have a 01 Focus 1.4 and it is a dream to drive.
    So you dont find it as slow as fook then, cause a 1.4focus or golf are both dead engined and boring to drive. Far from a dream drive i found.

Nuttzy wrote:
    So you dont find it as slow as fook then, cause a 1.4focus or golf are both dead engined and boring to drive. Far from a dream drive i found.

I disagree there. A car doesnt need to bury you in the back seat to be a dream to drive. Indeed the only way I can fault the TDCi is it can be a bit hyper in comparison to the my mondeo TD. The mondeo was slow, but lovely to drive when you were in no rush anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

I was in the same situation myself after x-mas. I was going to by a Volkswagen Golf, but i started to like the Ford Focus hatchback and i decided to go test drive it before i made a decision. I have to say the Focus i thought was great for comfort and handling. I decided i would wait a couple of weeks, but after bringing the VW GOLF ( my first choice ) i knew i was making the right decision. I know everyone seems to have them, but i think they look great, handle well and and the comfort is just as good + i thought the Focus was more a female version of the Golf ( my Opion ). I bought a Volkswagen Golf 1.6 back in february and i have no regrets at all only i wish i had bought it sooner. Im already thinking of changing to a GTI, but not until this time next year..

Duplicate -deleted

Nuttzy wrote:

Not a boy racer model nor a Jeremy Clarkson pleaser. I would agree it doesn't have the fastest acceleration but on longer trips it has served me well.
    Like any car you enjoy, you're sold on it two minutes after sitting into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The only thing I'll say to you as regards the points people are making about handling is yes of course it's important but you need to remember that it's a 1.4/1.6 and there's only so much you can push it with an engine that size and as a result, handling should not be the final diciding factor when buying a car like the ones being mentioned here.

I'm not sure of which model you are talking about but yes in the last models, the Focus handled much better than the Golf but with the new models, they are both pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ive driven both, the focus 1.6 and a string of golfs. id go golf personally, the dash is FAR FAR better, the one in the focus is made of recycled toilet seats probably. the focus handles great when u are pushing it in the 1.6 unquestionably though. the vw 1.6s were mostly 8valve engines, so if it was a focus 1.6 or golf 1.6 8valve id go focus. also take into account initial price and of course residuals. in this case i reakon the focus comes out ahead, once the mk5 golf gets a few years old ,late mk4 will drop in value. the focus is also very reliable but so then again is the golf with the exception of some minor repetitive annoying faults.

What about these scary VW service costs?

• Advertisement

lomb wrote:
    id go golf personally, the dash is FAR FAR better, the one in the focus is made of recycled toilet seats probably.

You will either love or hate the focus dash, although it isnt made of squishy plastic, it doesn't rattle and is well put together.

Advertisement