Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus or Golf?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

What about these scary VW service costs?
    what about them? oil costs the same as any other car, i cant see per hour labour rates in vw dealers as higher than fords. vw parts are pricey though without question.

maidhc wrote:
    You will either love or hate the focus dash, although it isnt made of squishy plastic, it doesn't rattle and is well put together.

vws interior is very classy though as if it had been lifted from a class above. damped door pulls, glove box and rubber inserts in various places make for a great interior. fords by contrast seems cheap and nasty imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

lomb wrote:
    vws interior is very classy though as if it had been lifted from a class above. damped door pulls, glove box and rubber inserts in various places make for a great interior. fords by contrast seems cheap and nasty imho.

I like sweeping curves the weird angles and the silver trim in the focus, and the fact they either put a lot of thought into it or just drew weird lines at random. :)

It is more plasticy than the golf, I wont deny that, the door handles are not damped, nor is the glovebox is lined with furry stuff. But all that said it is very well put together, everything is in the right place, and it is a nice place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

There's no doubt that VW's were great many years ago but they've taken a nose dive lately when it comes to build quality and reliability. In fairness to Ford they were no great shakes in the 80's and 90's but they certainly got their act together with the first Focus which changed my view of them. I switched sides from VW, of which I owned many, to Ford which think are probably one of the best car manufacturers out there at the moment. I'd go with the Focus anyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The new Golf does not have an 8 valve 1.6 engine!! :rolleyes:

I don't think you can make the assumption that Fords are now flawlessly reliable and VWs are gone to sh1t either. I've owned one Focus and two Golf GTIs and they've all had minor problems.

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    The new Golf does not have an 8 valve 1.6 engine!! :rolleyes:

It does !! i paid extra on behalf of my mother for the 115bhp 1.6 fsi engine, the standard 1.6 in the golf and the a3 is DEFINATELY 8valve and is a bag of dirt.

Apologies.. I assumed you were talking about the FSI engine. I wouldn't touch the other one.

Big Balls wrote:
    Apologies.. I assumed you were talking about the FSI engine. I wouldn't touch the other one.

no probs,
    nor would i;) i drove it in an a3 auto and it was like stepping back to the early eighties except the car cost over 30 grand. i think vag are loosing the plot using it, funnily enough only the fsi engine is sold in the uk where reporters would absolutely have a field day with the 1.6 8valver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Wow what a response guys.

How much would it costs to do a cambelt change and a service in either a Golf or a Focus in your experiences?

Thanks

Redman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

My Mum is bigger than your Dad! :D

My new Focus, being delivered on Monday next, has almost 100bhp more than that! ;)

Ahh children
    I have a TDCi 115 Focus and it is way better than any VAG TDI in every department. End of story

Your driving the wrong one so, what Tdi have you drove?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My comment was supposed to be humorous B.N.;)

Regarding service costs. VAG appear (from threads on Boards) to be horrendous.

€1000 for a major service :eek:

Also what's all this about high oil consumption on some of their new petrol engines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

My comment was supposed to be humorous B.N.;)

Regarding service costs. VAG appear (from threads on Boards) to be horrendous.

€1000 for a major service :eek:

Also what's all this about high oil consumption on some of their new petrol engines?

So where mine:D

I have no probs with service, anyone paying a grand for a service seriously need there head read, last service on old Passat cost me 50 quid and then costs of filters etc. Not too bad???

Havent a clue about Petrol engines because I don't drive petrol anymore and prob will never again, love the milage I get from Diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Tiger Jim wrote:
    I have a TDCi 115 Focus and it is way better than any VAG TDI in every department. End of story.

hmmm, i doubt youd be able to get close enough to the pd150 to make any judgement, it'd eat that 115bhp focus engine for brekky

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Big Nelly wrote:
    So where mine:D

I have no probs with service, anyone paying a grand for a service seriously need there head read, last service on old Passat cost me 50 quid and then costs of filters etc. Not too bad???

Havent a clue about Petrol engines because I don't drive petrol anymore and prob will never again, love the milage I get from Diesel

Timing belts apparently cost a fortune to change.

1st service on a petrol Golf cost €450 :eek:

Just reposting what's been said here before (not by me).

Tiger Jim wrote:
    I have a TDCi 115 Focus and it is way better than any VAG TDI in every department. End of story.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :D

Jesus that's made my Monday!!

I'm not sure where the story on the engines drinking oil has come from, I've done nearly 15,000 kms and the 2.0T hasn't used a drop.

The long life service costs are higher than 'normal' services but then, VAG claim the intervals are much bigger by using them.

If you opt for the 'normal' type of service it is on a par with Ford etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭maidhc

Big Balls wrote:
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :D

Jesus that's made my Monday!!

While Cyrus is right in saying the PD 150 will smoke a TDCi 115, that is about the only diesel engine in the Golf IV range which is appreciably faster.

The TDCi is quieter, smoother and revs far more freely, although I admit I am comparing it to a PD 105 here.

The one thing though is that you cannot chip a TDCI like a VAG TDi.

Exactly.. so how can you compare it to a 150? The 150 would wipe the floor with the Focus and the PD105 has totally different driving characteristics also..you just can't compare them.

And if you look back, he said the VAG range.. there is even a 2.5 TDI Transporter with similar performance figures to the MKI GTI pushing 170bhp which I can assure you when unloaded, is bloody quick as vans go!!!

I won't mention the VAG TDI engine with 275 bhp at 3750 rpm and which produces 650 Nm of torque between 1800 and 2500 rpm!!

maidhc wrote:
    While Cyrus is right in saying the PD 150 will smoke a TDCi 115, that is about the only diesel engine in the Golf IV range which is appreciably faster.

The TDCi is quieter, smoother and revs far more freely, although I admit I am comparing it to a PD 105 here.

The one thing though is that you cannot chip a TDCI like a VAG TDi.
    the pd150 vag engine has 4 valves per cylinder as opposed to the 105 pd vag unit that has 2. the pd150 revs almost like a petrol engine. both chip and produce tremendous amounts of power after a few quid of mods.

the ford tdci engines cant really compare although i must admit they are very impressive. i drove a 1.6 90bhp in a new focus recently and it felt more or less like a petrol. very sweet. its amazing how far diesel technology has come, so far that the uk government has made sure diesel is dearer than petrol as their tax base is eroding as everyone is switching to diesel.

Advertisement