Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

classic bike ins. - how to qualify?

• 07-04-2006 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi,
    as per topic,

what requirements must my bike meet in order to achive "classic" status.

i have a '91 bros and would like to reduce my insureance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

bike only has to be 15 yrs old afaik, but its the drive that has all the restrictions on it,, over 25, full license, ncb (not sure how many) etc

there are a few topics on it in here, just do a quick search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

CN told me 1 year's NCB to qualify (my bike qualifies but I don't have a full licence yet so I don't!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

why do you have to be 25 ?

I don't see how they can justify that part.

You achieve a magical maturity the second you hit 25. It's grand when you hit 25 but i know it's a killer when you aren't.

• Advertisement

yep,
    insurance is 1440eu
    will be 390eu in 16 months :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

subway...what age bracket are you?

My wife just got quoted Eur364 for a 1982 Yamaha DT175, as a 'Classic'. Nothing cheap about that......in fact, the bike will probably be sold - her renewal for her 1990 MX-5 is only Eur335...........go figure.......

And, seeing as you started it, here's my hijack !!

I'm kinda peeved. My wife rode bikes for 16 yrs on the road, up to '00, when we had our first child. At that time, she had an F650ST. Full NCB, about 400 was the bill at the time.

Fast forward 3 years, after child no 2. I go to get insurance so she can get back in to it - nope, they say, you've been off the road for 2+ years, all your NCB gone. Zero. Nada. Zilch. Quote now 400 for a Piaggio Sfera 50 moped. My wife said if she never drove a bike again, she wouldn't pay that. And this was with Carole Nash. I complained, I wrote, I phoned. Including to Carole Nash herself, in the UK. No joy. I filed a complaint with Dept of Environment. I filed a complaint with Insurance Ombudsman. I filed a complaint - or tried to - with the Equality Tribunal (?), on the grounds of sexual discrimination, my theory being that the NCB 'expired' purely because of maternity leave - i.e., if you subtract the 2 x 9 mths from the period she was uninsured, then she should in fact still retain her full NCB, even under CN's own rules. I was told the complaint was filed too late to qualify.

Long Story Short - my wife quit biking, and I understand her anger. But I'm pissed.....every year she wants to take part in the Galway Vintage Rally, and is a past winner of it on her Triumph 3TA, but she has been shafted by the industry here. And far from Carole Nash being the saviour they were once touted as, it's seems to me they're just the same as everyone else. And quoting a 38 yr old Eur 364 for a 24 yr old 171cc bike is just pulling the pi$$.

Anyone want to buy a perfect DT175 or good YP125 and DR200, now very, very surplus to requirements due to no fault of ours..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

im 23 full license 3 yrs ncb.

wouldve had more but waited till my insurance quotes on a 125 were sub 3000eu before i could afford to start biking.

i dont see how 364eu is taking the piss tbh,
    ive paid, 2800 [125cc], 2400 [125cc], 1800 [400cc] and now ill be paying 1400 [400cc] for this year.

if i could get a quote like that id be laughin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

subway wrote:
    ..if i could get a quote like that id be laughin.

i don't doubt your quotes are ****e.

But you're missing the point. You don't 'forget' how to ride, - especially when you've been hanging around off-road on a GasGas 250 in the interim - but come back in 15 years and see are you getting fobbed off. It's not just the number, it's the principle of the thing.

Here's the DR and YP btw...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement