Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's annoy Guinness

• 07-04-2006 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

This is kinda related to a thread I started a while back...

I've been on to Guinness about the fact that they use Isinglass in their brewing methods, but they've just been giving me the usual responces they give everyone.

I got a reply from the Veg Society the other day from an email i sent them a while back and they said they've been putting pressure on them for the past few years and might start getting onto them again. They recon if they keep pressure on them it's possible to get them to change.

I'm going to write a letter to Guinness (Nothing too extreme!). I might even start my own little mini campaign :), so I was just wondering if a few other people from here could email them too? Or better yet send them a letter or ring them (http://www.guinness.com/ie_en/BottomNav/LeftNav/contactus).
    Even if it's just an innocent mail to ask if they use Isinglass, just so they know there's a demand for it to be changed to a non animal alternative.

So whoever wants to join in the pestering of Guinness post your experiences here, or if anyone has any opinions on it, or if anyone wants to start annyoing another company (Like Basset's) post here to rally troups :)

I'm not sure if i'm breaking any rules by starting threads like this, if so, sorry!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

I respect this stuff usually but can't help responding to this one with 'Do something else with your time hippy'.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bonzo82

I've been meaning to email them, I shall do that now! I feckin love Guinness but I can't really drink it in good conscience. Yay for hippies with too much time on their hands!

Poweeerrrr to the peeeople :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ag marbh wrote:
    I respect this stuff usually but can't help responding to this one with 'Do something else with your time hippy'.....
    Do something else with your time, eh? Like what, flame people for their opinions? Because that's a constructive way to spend your time?

Nature Boy- if you don't generate enough support here, I could copy this to After Hours for you. The problem with After Hours is that you may just get a load more flamey posts, and the mods don't like threads being put there solely for higher exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

What's the alternative to isinglass again?

I'm not a vegetarian (anymore) but I do despise all things aquatic and thoughts of fish bladders in Guinness fills Monkeyfudge with disgust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i shall e-mail them to use a entire cow or chicken . it makes it taist good they should not change it for a minority . on the other hand why not ask them to release a alternative beer which dosnt use Isinglass

im sure they would prefear your suggestion of a new beer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

elexes wrote:
    I can see it now... "Vegi-Guinness":D

Seriously, tho, dude may be onto something, as Guinness likes "inventing" new drinks.

Point to ponder: would you drink it if they called it something else, and it taste different?

elexes wrote:
    i shall e-mail them to use a entire cow or chicken . it makes it taist good they should not change it for a minority . on the other hand why not ask them to release a alternative beer which dosnt use Isinglass

Isinglass doesn't add any flavour. It is used solely for fining.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I wonder wat guinness tastes like, oh well...
    Maybe one day! March on nature boy, march on!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I sincerely don't think Guinness will change the way they make the product.

They may welcome the suggestion for a new product without isinglass, but if your purpose is to rally people to 'annoy' Guinness, they will be less willing to investigate, I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

O good god..... with all the things happening in the world and u want guinness to remove a innocuous flavouring r wat ever it is. Get a grip FFS :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote:
    O good god..... with all the things happening in the world and u want guinness to remove a innocuous flavouring r wat ever it is. Get a grip FFS :rolleyes:
    Banned for 1 week for personal abuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

People would be up in arms, if they changed the recipe. Look at the amount of people, who say foreign guinness is crap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It doesn't change the taste at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah.. there would only be tiny, tiny, tiny trace ammounts in your pint. It wouldn't effect things at all to use something else, just the cost of implementing a new process... Some sort of moss can be used instead if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Yep Irish Moss/carrageenan/chondrus crispus (seaweed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

elexes wrote:
    i shall e-mail them to use a entire cow or chicken . it makes it taist good they should not change it for a minority .

Isinglass does not make it taste good, it doesn't add to the texture or flavour it's just used to clean the stout and it's not in the final product.

Irish moss and seaweed are examples of alternatives. The're are synthetc, renuable alternatives too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Hi boys and girls I've been on holiday so I haven't had a chance to post here for a while.

Great to see so many people agree. I know there's lots of things wrong with the world and I know there's lots and lots of products out there that should be vegan or veggie but aren't but i suppose you have to start somewhere!!

P.S I use the words "annoy guinness" lightly! Nobody should be aggresive or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Explain the problem with the current process please.

LiouVille wrote:
    Explain the problem with the current process please.
    Animals die.

Look up what isinglass is, they could just use something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Animals die.

Look up what isinglass is, they could just use something else.

Animals as in fish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

A fish is an animal.

Indeed it is yes...

Yes fish, sturgeon and cod.

The alternative to Isinglass is Irish moss.

Advertisement