Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a washing machine... please

Options
  • 07-04-2006 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

My Whirlpool washing machine has completely died after a deeply troubled but brief existence. Please give me some recommendations for a replacement, and best places to buy.

No Whirlpool suggestions please - I'd rather wash by hand :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've gone through a few over the years & have found that Bosch is yer only man. They are a few bob extra, but worth it in the long run.
    "Vorsprung durch Technik" as the Germans say...

I've also found that DID Electrical provide the best service in my opinion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

well if you've got the dosh (very expensive)
    Miele washing machines will last you forever
    http://www.miele.ie/_domesticProducts/domesticProducts.asp?catID=84

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Admiral AM22 toploader will take 10kg loads! and is very fast.
    I got mine from the UK and avoided paying the WEEE charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Bosch is your only man. I have one for years only ever got 1 fault the program switch failed got a new one but the old switch has never given trouble since so the machine is still original.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Have to agree with Hill Billy and endplate. I had to call out a guy recently when our machine packed up and when I asked him the same question about what make should i consider when buying next time he said he had €5,000 of bosch parts in the van that he hasn't touched since he got them.

So Bosch it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Bosch are always good but just as an alternative, I've had a Zanussi washer dryer for the last six years and have never had any trouble.

(am I tempting fate here, I'll bet I arrive home this evening and the thing has calved):o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I also have a Zanussi washer dryer for the past 4 years and no problems yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

Bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

My gf bought a matching Zanussi washer dryer and dishwasher a few weeks ago from powercity, very user friendly and good value too. Too early to tell if any good tho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Bosch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Bosch, Miele & Zanussi are the 3 best. Expensive all 3 of them.

We had a Hotpoint and it lasted 7yrs and replaced it with another so for the money, I think they're good value. €50/yr is cheap washing machine in my book.

My mothers Zanussi is still going strong after 10yrs and for a while it had to cope with my brothers heavily soiled work clothes for a few yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In case you do come across them in Ireland (nothing on the net, only UK)

GORENJE

Made in Slovenia, but don't let that put you off ...had mine for 14 years now, moved house (and country) 5 times with it and it never needed even the tinyest bit of attention ...still washing as well as on the first day.

Not quite as expensive as Bosch or Miele but at least as good, if not better.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tricity Bendix look practically identical to Zanussi, but are still a bit cheaper. Not sure if internals are same, but externally they are, and both are owned by Electrolux.

Siemens should be worth considering too, though I think these are very similar to Bosch, since Bosch own Siemens brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

dont buy hotpoint, creda, indesit or ariston :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

As far as I know, a lot of these (non-German) washing machines are made by Merloni in Italy.

An awful lot of them are made from very similar parts.

It's worth looking around this site if you really want to figure out what it's all about:

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

miju wrote:
    dont but hotpoint, creda, indesit or ariston :-)
    you got first hand experience of all these makes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

indeed i do

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hotpoint and Indesit washing machines aren't quite the same, despite both being part of The Indesit Company.

I've grown up with Hotpoint washing machines. 1 lasted 13 years (brushes were the only things changed in it a few times), and the current one is about 4 years old with no issues.

Of all current Hotpoint models, the best bet is possibly the FEW10P, it's the basic no-frills model. Less gimmicks to mess up. The WF100 should be OK too, though it's currently too soon to tell.

The likes of Zanussi are not perfect either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

These machines change over time. The bendix my mum bought in 1975 and which lasted until around 1990 is in no way comparable to the modern tricity bendix brand, for example. Hotpoint is now owned by Merloni (or Indesit or whatever they're now called), but it was originally owned by GE I think.

Advertisement