Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does VRT Change Based on Demand

Options
  • 07-04-2006 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

Bluehair wrote:
    We were bitching about this recently on the bmw forums. There was an even bigger increase in e36 M3s a while ago (closer to 2 grand increase i believe) and when confronted about it one of the staff in Santry vrt admited that the site is tracked and if there's particular interest in one model they 'modify' the vrt upwards :eek:

Pretty shocking tbh :mad:

On another thread this morning there were discussing VRT increasing based on the demand on the Revenues website. I have experienced this in the past and I think it does happen. However I would like to do a more scientific test.

This morning I requested a VRT quote on a Citroen C4 1.6.

vrt_1.jpg

It then asked me to clarify the vehicle and I chose the SX 05DR (1587CC) model.

vrt_2.jpg

The result was a quote of €4,570.

vrt_3.jpg

Now to prove this, would people mind going and retreiving the same quote and replying with the quote that you receive. I intend to request the quote again over the coming weeks, but it what people say and the site is 'tracked' it will be interesting to see the results.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 07 April 2006 TIME: 11:24

STATISTICAL CODE: 40385288
    MAKE: CITROEN
    MODEL: C4 1.6
    VERSION: SX 05DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 10000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): SEPTEMBER 2005
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €18049
    RATE OF TAX: 25.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €4512

I just this myself and this is what I got. Now although mind is slighty lower than yours, should the Open Market Value remind the same or if your theory is correct, should it have not increased slighty. I am finding it hard to believe that the Revenue are getting this one correct at all. I do believe that VRT is increasing to stop the influx of imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great initiative! To make it even easier here's a direct link to the VRT site

My quote was also €4,570

Kluivert, you need to use kilometers, not miles

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I get 4,570 also.

unkel wrote:
    Great initiative! To make it even easier here's a direct link to the VRT site

My quote was also €4,570

Kluivert, you need to use kilometers, not miles

:D My bad - 22 yrs old and still old fashioned.

Keep this up guys and we'll see what the blood hounds in the Revenue are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

spockety wrote:
    I get 4,570 also.

Same for me, though if there is an increase based on enquiries made, it may not be an instant change or even an automated one.

• Advertisement

eoin_s wrote:
    if there is an increase based on enquiries made, it may not be an instant change or even an automated one.

Absolutely. That's what we're trying to find out with this thread. It'll probably take some time

And in case it does up the VRT, I hope no one is thinking of importing a Citroen C4 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

eoin_s wrote:
    Same for me, though if there is an increase based on enquiries made, it may not be an instant change or even an automated one.

I think you are right here. I expect it to be a manual change. It may take a couple of weeks, before we notice any change.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The VRT will stay the same, on the 1st of January the prices went up for VRT!!

jonny24ie wrote:
    The VRT will stay the same, on the 1st of January the prices went up for VRT!!

I imported and registered a car on the 21st of March and when I view the VRT calculator today the price has increased by almost €1,000 euro.

unkel wrote:
    Absolutely. That's what we're trying to find out with this thread. It'll probably take some time

And if I had actually bothered my arse to read the first post properly I would have known that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, conspiracy theories and the like aside, could this be what's happening?

For cars otherwise readily available here on the Irish market, they have a pretty accurate idea of their worth, but for some of the more obscure Jap Imports the figures they use, especially when there might only ever have been a handful of them ever imported, the OMSP is going to be basically a bit of a guess, and for the one or two cars involved it isn't going to be worth their while spending a huge amount of time on getting it 'right', whatever that may be.

But imagine what happens if a particular model 'slips through the net', and word gets around that it's a real bargain because they got the OMSP wrong and therefore the VRT is so low. The number of these types of cars imported magically starts to rise, and the alarm bells go off at VRT headquarters ... They then take another look at the car in question and they reeavaulate the OMSP, spend a little more time investigating it, and the OMSP goes up as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I got €4512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Revenue have in the past put up the OMSP on cars to dis-incentivise traders from importing them - it makes it virtually impossible to import second hand mainstream cars from Japan.
    Check the OMSP of a European Micra and a Japanese Nissan March to see what I mean.

Alun wrote:
    But imagine what happens if a particular model 'slips through the net', and word gets around that it's a real bargain because they got the OMSP wrong and therefore the VRT is so low

I'll buy that for obscure Japanese cars, but more mainstream cars have been reported to change OMSP too and then there's:
    Mailman wrote:
    Revenue have in the past put up the OMSP on cars to dis-incentivise traders from importing them - it makes it virtually impossible to import second hand mainstream cars from Japan.
    Check the OMSP of a European Micra and a Japanese Nissan March to see what I mean.

Just checked for bog standard Jan '01 Micra and VRT is €900 and €1300 for same detail March, so I can confirm what you're saying. Obviously the actual value in the Irish market for a (UK / Irish) Micra is higher than the Jap March. Think reg plate, radio, documentation, etc.
    ando wrote:
    I got €4512

RTFP :p

ando wrote:
    I got €4512

You did want I done. You put in miles instead of KM's mate. Read OP again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

The old biddy on the phone in the local office told me the rates can change on a daily basis as they are constantly being reviewed.In her exact words it "was to put fellas off buying the hondas cheap and making them dearer"

Itl be good to see if the prices rises in time tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

€4570

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

unkel wrote:
    RTFP :p

doh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Can we sticky this....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

€4570.....

• Advertisement

Just got another quote and the price is still €4,570. I wonder will it change at the end of the month, because the car is a month older?

I had a read of the VRT manual and the web site will not change automatically this is done by consultation every say couple of months where they review OMPS and the number of cars being imported.

smarty wrote:
    Just got another quote and the price is still €4,570. I wonder will it change at the end of the month, because the car is a month older?

Doesn't look like it - I filled it out again, only I put August instead of September as the registration date (to make it the month older) and still got €4,570.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY
    DATE: 10 April 2006 TIME: 12:26

STATISTICAL CODE: 40387600
    MAKE: NISSAN
    MODEL: MICRA 1.0 (To 1992)
    VERSION: L 03DR / HATCHBACK / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY /
    MILEAGE: 82000 MILES

The information requested in respect of the vehicle shown is indicated below.
    DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JULY 1991
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €725
    RATE OF TAX: 22.5%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €315

ROFFLE! I paid only 400 for that car. Where the f*** do they get the prices from? WTF? €315 is almost 50% of the "value".

Bond-007 wrote:
    ROFFLE! I paid only 400 for that car. Where the f*** do they get the prices from? WTF? €315 is almost 50% of the "value".

That cant be right can it

22.5% of €725 is €163, where are they getting €315.

Id question that.

OMSP of €725 is crazy. I reckon they make up the figures.

Importing is still the way forward.

Welcome to rip off ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Minimum vrt on any car 315

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Anyone know if it’s possible to buy a second hand X5 or Range Rover or any passenger 4X4 or even SUV and Estate Cars and get them converted to Commerical
    So that VRT is 50 euro flat rate?

I saw this company in Longford, but I was hoping there was one closer to me (Cork)

www.activeautos.ie

updated:
    made a new thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51186631#post51186631

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Just checked the Vrt this morning on the honda civic coupe vti ive been looking to import and its risen twice so far this year.It went up 1000e on the first of april and 12e since saturday when i last checked (it was 2127 its now 2139)

Its as if they have a randomizer button that they press daily on these quotes,has anyone know if theres a direct part in revenue where i can complain to?

There is a department you can appeal the decision. only after you register the car. Try ringing your local VRO office and ask to connected to the person in charge ie their manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I am bringing in a BMW next week. The OMSP on this car is €22'250 (up €215 on the printout from 8 days ago!), yet I have enquired through a BMW dealer who says that the value is roughly €20k.

I am going to get the insurance valuation, book valuation (the bible that trade-ins and insurance claims are valued by) and the BMW dealers valuation in writing and challenge the OMSP (either when at the VRO office, or if they won't acknowledge the valuation through the appeals procedure after I have paid the VRT). I will post here on my progress.

I'd encourage anybody else who has the time to try this as well, if we can't eliminate this illegal tax (and also a double tax since its calculated post VAT), then we should at least challenge the constant over-valuation and random raising of the OMSP that the VRO office sems to be currently engaged in.

Power to the people!! :)

Advertisement