Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

switching to BT

• 07-04-2006 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Howya folks,

i have just got my foneline with eircom and want to switch to BT to get the combined fone and BB for €50, but in order to do that i need my eircom account number.... which eircom say they cant give me over the fone and it will be on my first bill...

isnt this a but unfair.... they says that they can only give out account information over the fone to the ac holder... but they wont give me the account number...

is there anyway that i can get it without having to wait for my first bill?

any help would be much appreciated

SW

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is a very very common issue I'm afraid but an email to phil.nolan@eircom.ie usually works quite fast .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

SoundWave wrote:
    Howya folks,

i have just got my foneline with eircom and want to switch to BT to get the combined fone and BB for €50, but in order to do that i need my eircom account number.... which eircom say they cant give me over the fone and it will be on my first bill...

isnt this a but unfair.... they says that they can only give out account information over the fone to the ac holder... but they wont give me the account number...

SW

In fairness to Eircom I think they are correct not to give out account numbers over the telephone given all the problems around identity issues. This is definitely a case of damned if you do and damned if you dont.

However mor importantly I think anyone switching to Esat is taking a huge risk on their financial and mental well being and as a company they do not deserve any support whatsoever until they sort out their billing issues but its your choice obviously.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=17811

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Can you check your eircom details online at eircom.ie or eircom.net or something?

Might give your a/c number there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

dub45 wrote:
    In fairness to Eircom I think they are correct not to give out account numbers over the telephone given all the problems around identity issues. This is definitely a case of damned if you do and damned if you dont.

However mor importantly I think anyone switching to Esat is taking a huge risk on their financial and mental well being and as a company they do not deserve any support whatsoever until they sort out their billing issues but its your choice obviously.

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=17811

i agree they are brutal... but i have to go with eircom or an eircom re-sell... and BT do the combined line rental and 3meg BB for around €50 and slightly cheaper calls... which i have had before and was fine..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just be prepared to loath BT... their broadband product is grand but their customer service and billing is unreal!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Clum wrote:
    Can you check your eircom details online at eircom.ie or eircom.net or something?

Might give your a/c number there.

You need your account number to sign up to this.

Demand Eircon post you your a/c. It will take a few days but it will be quicker than waiting for the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 IRONSIDE2005

I had the same problem myself took eircom near 2 weeks to sent out the account info!! but in the end it was good old BT that told me way aroung it.

Just ring up eircom sales and get them to phone you and they will give you the acount number over the phone.

In my case I told them to I wanted their Broadband but wanted to sign up online (i said that I need to do it with my girlfriend as she was in charge of all the money) the guy then told me to wait by the phone and a minute later he rand with the number.

give them a ring it might work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭kco3d

the 50 euro option includes calls and line rental......what phone option is that (Talk, Talk Plus ?) Sounds like a good deal if Talk Plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, the €50 option is BB and line rental. The calls are cheaper than Eircom though, or so they say. The Talk and Talk+ are extra on top.

Soundwave, to get your account number you could ask them to send it in a letter to you, or do as IRONSIDE2005 says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

SoundWave wrote:
    ............and want to switch to BT..............

DONT DO IT !

FOR THE SAKE OF YOUR SANITY !

REALLY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm about to switch from UTV to BT, line rental with free national ANYTIME calls and always on broadband for €49.82 a month. Great deal. I'm hesitant because of all the complaints I hear:( What are the % chance of getting screwed? My brother tried to sign up with them and is having trouble even:(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

cormie wrote:
    I'm about to switch from UTV to BT, line rental with free national ANYTIME calls and always on broadband for €49.82 a month. Great deal. I'm hesitant because of all the complaints I hear:( What are the % chance of getting screwed? My brother tried to sign up with them and is having trouble even:(

It has all been said before you know very well there is an excellent chance of being screwed:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At this stage anyone who signs up for BT in the full knowledge of all that has been written here and elsewhere deserves whatever hassle befalls them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

SoundWave wrote:
    Howya folks,

SW

Unfortunately as mentioned before, this seems to be an under tactic of Eircons. I have always been with EsatBt since I've been here, five years (and I must say that I have had no problems at all with them) When we moved house Eircon gave us a lot of trouble when we needed account information, even though my wife was eight months pregnant at the time and we need a phone as quick as possible they kept telling us that they couldn't give out account information over the phone every time we phone them. We even asked for them to post it to us, they never did. We had to wait three months before Eircon passed on the account information to EsatBt and during this time Eircon had the gall to charge me at their rate! It only took a quick letter to the telecom commissioner and I soon got a phone call from Eircon apologising and offering to refund me the difference between EsatBts rates and Eircons rates. Ok, it wasn't a lot, but it the principal.
    Wasn't soon before we were getting phone calls from Eircon asking us to sign up with them. NO THANK YOU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I'd have to say that in the 6 years I have been with Esat Bt I have never had a bill problem and anytime I looked for support over the phone I got it. When I was with Eircom years ago they were charging 15 pounds a month just to use the internet before even logging on. They used to charge 15 pound for one of the discs that every other isp gave away for free. I remember having great trouble trying to connect to the Internet, everytime I tried to connect I was billed for it, even though no connection was made. I'd say moving from Eircom is a good move, no matter who you move to.

thanks for the replies folks...

have got the info now and contacted BT.. im not going to me making a lot of fone calls so its not a big deal who's calls are cheaper...

touch wood ive never had much problems with them before... and hope it keeps goin that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Saruman wrote:
    Just be prepared to loath BT... their broadband product is grand but their customer service and billing is unreal!!

I previously had BT BB. It was my first home experience of BB and I found the product was quite stable. Circumstances changed, and IBB Ripwave was the next experience. And boy, what an experience. Supposedly same speeds as ESAT (was at the time) but regularly fell over. Tech support, erm, non-existant / lacking in knowledge - borne out after numerous calls which was on a frequent basis.

Never had to call BT tech support, but did have to speak with Cust Services a lot - now there is a challenge..!!

Overall, as stated above, BB product fine, but as long as you don't have to encounter Accounts or Customer Services, you should be ok.

(Despite everything, I wouldn't mind being back with them...)

sorry to drag up an old thread but just thought id post because i got my BT broadband enabled yesterday evening. all together it took only 12 working days from when my order was submitted, so its not all bad...

i know that im yet to be billed but still.... its a good start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

SoundWave wrote:

i know that im yet to be billed but still....

Brings back memories of a time before I had my first BT bill.....

many moons/calls/emails/letters/calls/emails/letters/angst/stress ago..

:(

Nh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'm in the middle of the BT billing nightmare. I've referred them to Comreg after they twice broke their own code of practice while handling my billing complaint.
    As has been said before - If you value your own sanity do not go near them .
    If you do go with them do not order broadband online - do it over the phone. They've told me the online ordering process is broken and its the reason I'm now having lots of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I must be one of the lucky ones. In nearly four years of being with BT, phone and BB, I have had no reasons to complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Uncle Chenzo

For your info.

yep i'm in the middle of this headf**k at the moment.

BT have already taken money from me and i'm not even switched over to bt. I'm still with eircon.

The only thing to do is : when those suited muppets come around and ask us for their votes, the ones who put a semi state monopoly into private hands, tell them to rev up and fu*k off with themselves.

Advertisement