Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Arsenal

• 07-04-2006 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

So I figure it's time for one of these threads :)

With ARsenal on form and United on form heading into this game, it's gona be interesting.

I think it will either be a 0-0 draw or a convincing United win, and I'm edging towards the latter for the following reasons:

Arsenals defense is weak and it is going up against the best attack in the premiership. They key one I'm looking at is Ronaldo against Flamini. I think, as always with United vs. Arsenal, their full backs will be their weakness, just like Lauren used to be.

European Hangover - They have played 4 games in two weeks. United have played 2.

United vs. Arsenal - Arsenals record against us in the premiership is absolutely woeful in the last 3 years. This is to do with the United defense normally having the pace to deal with Henry.

Arsenal while on incredible form, still have woeful form away from home, even lately. Highbury is still a fortress, but I think they have won once away from home in the North this season, against Wigan.

All in all, I think we can beat them. Then again, I always think we can beat Arsenal.

Can you imagine the tension at this game if West Ham drew with Chelsea? It'd be incredible.

Prediction:

0-0 if Arsenal play 4-5-1
    or else a nicked goal from Van Nist

3-1 if Arsenal play 4-4-2
    we will expose them down the flanks.

Who will win? 58 votes

Arsenal
    0% 0 votes
    Man Utd
    27% 16 votes
    Draw (Also known as Chelsea and Spurs)
    72% 42 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Can't see anything other a United win especially if Chelsea were to slip up again earlier, also with the way everyone else in the race for 4th has slipped up a win for the gunners is not as important as it was 3 weeks ago.

2-0 to United Rooney and Ruud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Hopefully Arsenal are "hungover" from their European result midweek. I know they were very convincing against Juve, but in fairness, I think United are a different kettle of fish in attack. Real pace and finishing ability will test Arsenal much more!

Come on West Ham, United to make it a 5 point gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

This is gonna be a good game.
    United are flying and so are Arsenal. If west ham take something off Chelsea and United beat Arsenal the title race will be blown wide open. This and the spurs away game are Uniteds biggest tests. If United are in the position to overtake Chelsea when it comes to the game at Stamford bridge they will. Chelsea are "pants" at the moment and are not playing with the confidence of champions
    United's form and morale has been class since xmas but Arsenal really need something from this to get that 4th place aswell.

It should be an excellent game. Arsenal will come at us and will create chances but United will defo create just as much.

i'm goin for 1-1 or 2-1 to United, hopefully 2-1, come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

gonna go for a 2-1 win to Arsenal

Henry and van Persie to score for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Roddy23 wrote:
    gonna go for a 2-1 win to Arsenal

Henry and van Persie to score for Arsenal.

I got a feeling Wenger will go with the 4-5-1. I'm gonna say 1-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I dont know how you can call the Arsenal backs weak. They mightn't have reached full potential but they are a strong enough back line. They have let in 3 goals in the past 2 months. Man Utd have let in 5 in 2 less games.

Now their attack has only come back to life in the last month. Having said that they haven't had an away game bar Juve in a month. But I reckon they are out to prove thamselves and with the confidence they must have taken from wednesdays match I reckon that they'll be even more fired up for this game than these ties usually see.

I think we can expect a lively one anyway. Man Utd will try to control the game and force it to their pace. I feel though that of the 2 midfields, Arsenal's are stronger, and they will see far more posession than Utd will be trying to afford them. And that exactly what you can't let Arsenal do.

And I think in the attacking form that their midfield and Henry are in they will certainly score 1 if not 2. Whether Man Utd can score 2 against this once makeshift, but now in fine form, defence is the question.

I predict a high scoring draw or an Arsenal win.

I also seriously doubt that the chokehold type of game that often comes from these ties will be seen anyway. Should be a great match and from a neutral's* point of view I'm looking forward to it.

*Chelsea supporter and since this game will have no effect on anything I'm totally neutral! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Boring 0-0 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

PHB wrote:
    Arsenals defense is weak and it is going up against the best attack in the premiership. They key one I'm looking at is Ronaldo against Flamini. I think, as always with United vs. Arsenal, their full backs will be their weakness, just like Lauren used to be.

lol, Arsenal just set the record for consecutive clean sheets in Europe and you call the defense "weak".
    United's "title challenge" ends this sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yep, Arsenal held the attack force of Juve and Real Madrid, not because of the defense though, because of the midfields.
    Are you honastly telling me you think the defense of
    Eboue - Toure - Sendoras - Flamini
    is a strong one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

I think United will dominate the match but won't score many. 1-0 Rooney with the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

PHB wrote:
    Yep, Arsenal held the attack force of Juve and Real Madrid, not because of the defense though, because of the midfields.
    is a strong one?

Eboue and particularly Toure are top quality players. Flamini fits suprisingly well into the left back position. Senderos has never really convinced me but as of late has been consistently good, but not brilliant. He could still be an excellent player yet. Just because it's not Arsenal's first choice back 4 doesn't mean it isn't a good one. All you have to do is look at the stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

PHB wrote:
    is a strong one?

I certainly wouldn't swap Toure for any any other defender at the moment, while Eboue has been in outstanding form since he came into the team a month ago. Senderos is a young guy who is improving from game to game,, which leaves Flamini as the only real weak-link there.
    Even though he's being played out of position, he's still done really well there....besides, theres half a chance Clichy could be back in time, or young right-back Kerrea Gilbert could be switched over there, as he's just recovered from injury.

Playing behind them, you have Lehmann who has been, for most journalists, the outstanding keeper in England this year. In fact, its just broken today that he's been chosen ahead of Kahn for this year's world cup :D

I don't deny that United are in outstanding attacking form at the moment but the original post came across as if they would slice through the Arsenal defense at will :eek:

elbow316 wrote:
    I don't deny that United are in outstanding attacking form at the moment but the original post came across as if they would slice through the Arsenal defense at will :eek:
    It could - if United click as an atticking force they are unstoppable. Only hope Fergie goes all out - with Giggs in CM with Ronaldo and Park wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I fancy Arsenal to win. United haven't been tested at all recently. Liverpool were the last decent team they played and they lost to them and while they've had a run of wins since then, they have come against the likes of Wigan, West Brom and Birmingham. Meanwhile Arsenal have been mixing it with Europe's elite and getting the better of them.

The Gunners will over-run United in midfield. In the past United might have tried to bully and make the game a more physical battle, but Arsenal have proved in the last few months that they know how to deal with these tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

arsenal win. 2nd place flatters utds season

el rabitos wrote:
    quit the trolling - the league table doesn't lie.

quit the trolling - the league table doesn't lie

i never said it does. i'm not saying united dont deserve 2nd either, u have to beat the smaller teams and they have. performance-wise i just dont think they are the 2nd best team in the league

el rabitos wrote:
    i never said it does. i'm not saying united dont deserve 2nd either, u have to beath the smaller teams and they have. performance-wise i just dont think they are the 2nd best team in the league
    well they are so get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

PHB wrote:
    is a strong one?

Yes midfield where utd are extremely strong ;)

I think United will win this one, Arsenal have been in better form recently but with their european exploits thay may be tired and distracted! United have no such distraction and are on a great roll at the moment!

well they are so get over it

*flicks hair* like, i am sooo over it, like, whatever

:rolleyes:

winning point u made there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm loking for an Arsenal win by a sneeze. Simply to annoy Spurs fans! :D

Mike.

el rabitos wrote:

2nd place implies 2nd best same as 1st place is the best team - simple really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I wish this game was played 6 months ago when Arsenal couldn't put in an away performance. However I think it will be low scoring United win. 1-0

2nd place implies 2nd best same as 1st place is the best team - simple really

...and liverpool, as runners up in the world club championship, are the second best team in the world, better than united, chelsea, milan, barca etc?

el rabitos wrote:
    ...and liverpool, as runners up in the world club championship, are the second best team in the world, better than united, chelsea, milan, barca etc?
    2nd best team in that competition(not relevant anyway as its a cup competion)

so just becuase you reckon United aren't the 2nd best team means they are not, even though all evidence points to it. Just as a matter of interest who do you think is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, but those teams attacks come from their midfield. Our wingers are creative, but our central midfielders have no impact on our attacking play. So when we play against Arsenal, Gilberto is kinda useless cause he has nothing to stop.

To put it simply.

Eboue vs. Giggs/Park
    Toure vs. Van Nist
    Senderos vs. Rooney
    Flamini vs. Ronaldo

Yeh, I'm fairly confident we can score.

so just becuase you reckon United aren't the 2nd best team means they are not, even though all evidence points to it. Just as a matter of interest who do you think is?

i never said they werent the 2nd best team! i said, based on the teams performances throughout the season, in MY opinion, they are not the second best team, personally (me) i think arsenal and liverpool have a better package, squad and mangers-wise.

i'm not going to drag another thread into another liverpool united thing. i think arsenal will beat united handly enough, thats just my opinion, i could be wrong, if i am i'm sure there will be plenty of people to let me know

el rabitos wrote:
    i never said they werent the 2nd best team! i said, based on the teams performances throughout the season, in MY opinion, they are not the second best team, personally (me) i think arsenal and liverpool have a better package, squad and mangers-wise.

i'm not going to drag another thread into another liverpool united thing. i think arsenal will beat united handly enough, thats just my opinion, i could be wrong, if i am i'm sure there will be plenty of people to let me know

maybe not directly but
    would suggest otherwise

lets leave it at that shall we

PHB wrote:
    Yeh, but those teams attacks come from their midfield. Our wingers are creative, but our central midfielders have no impact on our attacking play. So when we play against Arsenal, Gilberto is kinda useless cause he has nothing to stop.

To put it simply.

Eboue vs. Giggs/Park
    Toure vs. Van Nist
    Senderos vs. Rooney
    Flamini vs. Ronaldo

Yeh, I'm fairly confident we can score.

I agree Utd will definetly score just hopefully nullift the Arsenal forward threat - would love to see Arsenal come and have a go - could be a high scoring thriller if they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

United to win 1-0

el rabitos wrote:

bowrofl.gif

Have to disagree with you there

http://smiliesftw.com/!/bowrofl.gif

Have to disagree with you there

blue peter badge is in the post

el rabitos wrote:
    blue peter badge is in the post

i have two already, ill send the one i get off you on to liverpool ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Arsenal need to win this as much as Untied and it will give me great satisfaction if they do and stop uniteds premature title assault.

The Arsenal midfield will control the game I think especially if they go for a 5 man midfield.

Going to be a good one.

el rabitos wrote:
    i never said it does. i'm not saying united dont deserve 2nd either, u have to beat the smaller teams and they have. performance-wise i just dont think they are the 2nd best team in the league

And who do you think are? 1,000 euro says I can hazard a guess...

• Advertisement

And who do you think are? 1,000 euro says I can hazard a guess...

i already answered that. read posts before getting the g-string in a twist

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

TheMonster wrote:
    It could - if United click as an atticking force they are unstoppable.

If Arsenals attacking force clicks they are unstoppable. If Arsenal defence clicks they are unbeatable. If Arsenals midfield clicks they can control any game. If, if, if, if, if.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Boring 0-0 draw.

Agree :)

el rabitos wrote:
    i already answered that. read posts before getting the g-string in a twist

I couldn't be bothered reading after that, thought I'd jusy highlight yet again how totally biased and predictable you are. The league table doesn't lie (Liverpool being 12 points behind Chelsea and 5 behind United, who both have a game in hand), either do results.

Against the other 'top' teams this season (Arsenal, United and Chelsea), Liverpool have managed 1 draw and 1 win. Hardly the form of a team ready to challenge Chelsea, who have lost once in the league against the top teams.

I couldn't be bothered reading after that

well get off ur arse and read before u start ur trolling crap as usual

el rabitos wrote:

How am I trolling? I'm not the one who came onto a thread about Man Utd vs. Arsenal and started talking about Liverpool being Chelsea's genuine contenders.

I think you should take your own advice.

• Advertisement

How am I trolling? I'm not the one who came onto a thread about Man Utd vs. Arsenal and started talking about Liverpool being Chelsea's genuine contenders.

I think you should take your own advice.

once again. read what i said, troll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have an opinion
    *yawn*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

going to the game myself so nothing less than a win will do:D but i do think its going to be tough,arsenal are in great form as are we,my heart is saying a win,but my heads saying a draw

Your contributions to this thread:

el rabitos wrote:

Arsenal win. 2nd place flatters utds season
    el rabitos wrote:

el rabitos wrote:

elrabitos wrote:

el rabitos wrote:

Have a read of what you say before branding other people trolls.

Have a read of what you say before branding other people trolls

well thanks for being the resident reminder of what el rabitos has to say in every thread. el rabitos appreciates it.

now i think you've established my running theme of "united deserve second place"

BUT

in my own PERSONAL (yes, troll, personal opinions are still allowed) opinion, performance-wise, i dont think united are the second best team in the league. they are probably the BEST in the league at winning games in the last minute and sticking things out. performance-wise i just dont think they have it to be the best or second best in the league in the coming seasons.

now, troll, u can bitch and cry and annoy me and reply and pick and point out every letter of my posts, but tbh i dont give a **** and my opinion wont change. because its an opinion, not a fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

el rabitos wrote:

Pot, kettle... and so on.

Your posts are nothing but trolling and flaming, and if you can't see that yourself theres no hope for you.

I'm going to go for a 1-1 draw here, United equalising.

Pot, kettle... and so on.

Your posts are nothing but trolling and flaming, and if you can't see that yourself theres no hope for you.

so emphasising that what i said was in my own opinion is now flaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Emphasising a flaming point = flaming, yes.

Emphasising a flaming point = flaming, yes.

talking bull = your point? yes

my point was simple, i gave my reasons. u dont agree, good for u

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PHB wrote:
    is a strong one?
    No, you're right, Arsenal managed to avoid conceding in these games purely because Reyes, Hleb and co are defensive geniuses. Nothing to do with Flamini being a solid and hard-working player, Senderos being a very commanding CB when on form, Toure being better than any defender United have, and Eboue being better than any RB United have on current form.
    PHB wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure Rooney will never drop into his area. I can't see the central midfielders making any runs forward either. But if you're right, then I'm fairly happy. Reyes and Hleb can help double mark Ronaldo and Park/Giggs, while Fabregas can dictate from the middle. Adebayor can work Ferdinand and whoever Fergie partners him with, allowing Henry to do what he likes doing.

Of course, I don't believe the above will be the case, because it isn't Ronaldo vs Flamini, or Rooney vs Senderos. It's 11 v 11. I having a feeling Arsenal will beat United for the first time in ages, 'cos this newly merging Arsenal team is a bit different to the teams of the past, and if the United fans are anything to go by on this forum, then United will be overconfident and will expect to win easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement