Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Options
  • 07-04-2006 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Business opportunity?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4886272.stm
    Hunt for real life 'were-rabbit'
    Sharp-shooters have been brought in to defend allotment patches in Northumberland suffering from a real-life "curse of the were-rabbit".
    The ravenous giant rabbit, named after the famed Wallace and Gromit character, is reported to have ripped up dozens of prize-winning leeks and turnips.

Now growers in Felton, near Morpeth, have drafted in licensed gamekeepers with air rifles to halt the rampage.

Four gardeners described the rabbit as having one ear larger than the other.

The main clues are oversized paw prints and sightings of what growers claim to be a cross between a hare and a rabbit.

It's been taking huge bites out of cabbages, carrots and turnips... it's a hungry fella

Marksman Brian Cadman

A small group of allotment holders have now clubbed together to hire two air rifle marksmen with orders to shoot to kill.

Grower Jeff Smith, 63, said: "This is no ordinary rabbit. We are dealing with a monster.

"It is absolutely massive. I have seen its prints and they are huge, bigger than a deer. It is a brute of a thing."

Mr Smith, who has kept an allotment for 25 years, added: "We have two lads here with guns who are trying to shoot it, but it is clever.

"They never see it. There were big rabbits in the 1950s and 1960s before pesticides were introduced, but not like this."

Marksman Brian Cadman, 17, said: "We've been told to shoot on sight, but we've not had much luck yet.

"You can see what it's been eating.

"It's been taking huge bites out of cabbages, carrots and turnips. It's a hungry fella.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

armed%20rabbit3.jpg
    Look out comrades! Incoming!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

...licensed gamekeepers...
    Marksman Brian Cadman, 17,...
    Hmmmm...

I wonder if any local zoos are missing a kangaroo?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

was this published on the first of april by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Air rifles may not be enough to kill this beast! I recomend:
    steyrmannhtmtxtsteyhs509rv.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

i know you jest with the size of caliber but you are right if its paws are bigger than deer hooves your looking at a rabbit the size of a small/medium dog and air rifles may not be the best weapon for the task at hand

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

Is it possible for a rabbit to get that big? I think I remember seeing the worlds largest rabbit in a Guinness book of records a few years back and it wasnt near the size thats been described

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

Not to worry Daffy Duck is on the way...:eek:
    Duck season!
    Wabbit season!
    Duck season!
    Wabbit season!

If he can't make it I'll give Elmer Fudd a call.:D

Air rifles may not be enough to kill this beast! I recomend:
    steyrmannhtmtxtsteyhs509rv.gif

Its not the predator!!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

If it is a Kangaroo, I think we should send over Traumadoc with a big knife and a tin of peas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Give me a gun and Ill get skippy!

Advertisement