Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering a line for BB from a different exchange

Options
  • 07-04-2006 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi all,

Is it possible to order a telephone line from a particular exchange?

The situation is this: My parents live in Enniskerry and have a line on the Bray exchange (they have had this line for over 20 years). This is greater than 5km from the exchange, so no hope of broadband - the line consistently fails.

Enniskerry has expanded in recent years, and I see from the list of exchanges that were BB enabled on 5th April that Powerscourt exchange is live for BB. Presumably this exchange services all the new houses built near the Powerscourt golf course.

I do not know the exact location of the exchange, but I would wager that it is less than 5km from my parent's house, given that they live around 2km from the golf course.

Could they order a telephone line (for the purposes of BB) specifically from the Powerscourt exchange or are they tied to the Bray exchange?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Very logical question and yes they can try, I would go to the local eircom engineering HQ in Bray and ask very very nicely if they can look into it for you .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jman

i and a few others in Furbo tried this and was told it is not possible...

but then again maybe there are other factors involved ...

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I too tried this avenue (am connected to a non BB exchange, but am physically closer to a newer exchange that has BB operational) and was told that it was not possible. The copper goes back to one exchange and nowhere else.

I even tried asking if the two exchanges were linked and could they 'patch me through' but no, they couldn't (and/or wouldn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Damn, thought so. If Eircom upgrade to ADSL2+ won't the max distance from the exchange for BB be greater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Eircom will not allow you to order a line from a different exchange, however there is a service called GNP geographic number portability, the number can be taken to a different exchange I have heard some rare cases that esat will do it, call them advise that you will give them your business if they move the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Generally only possible in a City. BT did it once for me in Belfast. Couldn't get a line at all, quick enough in the offical local exchange and a friendly person patched an inter cabinet "tie line" so that I could get into the neighbouting exchange. But outside major town/ city such a thing would be rare and the likely hood of eircom doing such a thing rarer.

Do Eircom install any inter-cabinet cables ever anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

If there was no exchange in Enniskerry 20 years ago and there is now there is a chance that you may have been migrated onto the new exchange. You may already have checked this however.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

SeaSide wrote:
    If there was no exchange in Enniskerry 20 years ago and there is now there is a chance that you may have been migrated onto the new exchange. You may already have checked this however.

Good point, although Smart's line checker thing says the line is on the Bray exchange. Also, the number is a 286xxxx number, a prefix shared by a lot of (older) Bray numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Cerdito wrote:
    Hi all,

Is it possible to order a telephone line from a particular exchange?

The situation is this: My parents live in Enniskerry and have a line on the Bray exchange (they have had this line for over 20 years). This is greater than 5km from the exchange, so no hope of broadband - the line consistently fails.

Enniskerry has expanded in recent years, and I see from the list of exchanges that were BB enabled on 5th April that Powerscourt exchange is live for BB. Presumably this exchange services all the new houses built near the Powerscourt golf course.

I do not know the exact location of the exchange, but I would wager that it is less than 5km from my parent's house, given that they live around 2km from the golf course.

Could they order a telephone line (for the purposes of BB) specifically from the Powerscourt exchange or are they tied to the Bray exchange?
    If the older areas are connected to the Bray exchange, it's quite likely that there aren't any trunk cables going from that area to the new exchange. Unless there has been significant new development close to your parents house, it's quite possible that there aren't any available lines on the new exchange close enough to connect your parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jman

Ironicaly, I WAS connected to an exchange, which was just about to be enabled, Barna. in the course of enabling this exchange, Eircom moved a bunch of folk connected to this exchange to a new (sub) exchange in Furbo, but in their fantastic foresight, did not botther to DSL enable this. The mind boggles ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement