Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dockands redevelopment

Options
  • 07-04-2006 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all

I recently bought an apartment in the docklands area. I am just wondering does anyone know how the plans or timelines are going to the two major developments for the area

1-Calatrava Bridge linking Macken Street with Guild Street, i believe this is gone to tender - any timeline at all?
    2-Luas extension to the Point Depot - Anything on this at all on this one, havent heard anything about it since it was announced?

Thanks

Aido

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

aido123 wrote:
    Hi all

I recently bought an apartment in the docklands area. I am just wondering does anyone know how the plans or timelines are going to the two major developments for the area

1-Calatrava Bridge linking Macken Street with Guild Street, i believe this is gone to tender - any timeline at all?
    2-Luas extension to the Point Depot - Anything on this at all on this one, havent heard anything about it since it was announced?

Thanks

Aido

Calatrava Bridge is now known as Beckett Bridge and will be completed in September 2008 - link

Luas line C1 to the Point is due to open in 2007. link

Also note that the Spencer Dock station will begin construction soon: http://82.195.136.250/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51013859&postcount=24

There are also plans from Bus Atha Cliath for extensive bus service via the new bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aido123

morlan wrote:
    Calatrava Bridge is now known as Beckett Bridge and will be completed in September 2008 - link

Also note that the Spencer Dock station will begin construction soon: http://82.195.136.250/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51013859&postcount=24

There are also plans from Bus Atha Cliath for extensive bus service via the new bridge.

Thanks a lot for that, exactly the answers i required!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 JACKSPOCK

Aido

Latest information I have on Macken St Bridge and the Luas Extension to the Docklands is:

Macken St Bridge: Preliminary site works are planned to commence this month - April 06. I have seen job ads in the newspapers a few months back for project engineers to work on the construction phase. So looks like we could see something tangible happening on the ground this summer. Constrcution should take about 2 years. On that basis the bridge could be open for use in Summer 2008.

LUAS: The position at the moment is that the Railway Procurement Agency have lodged an application with the minister for transport fro a Railway Order. This is the final stage before construction. The RPA expect that this order will be granted to them by September 06 at latest. They expect to commence physical work on the 1.3 km line shortly afterwards. The construction phase is expectedto take 18 months and the testing and commisioning phase should take a further 3 - 4 months. All in all , it will be late summer 2008 before the first passenger carrying trams are running.

In the meantime we all need to do something about the very poor bus service in the area. The route and the timetable of the 53 and 53 A need to be altered to reflect that fact that more and more people are moving into the area. So contact Dublin bus and your local political representative and put the pressure on for change as it will be 2 years before the LUAS is up and running.

Whilst I am at it any news on the proposed developement at the Point Village

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

morlan wrote:
    I think 2007 might be premature.
    No Docklands stations and Spencer Dock stations are two different stations, several hundred metres apart. Docklands does not interface with Luas or the interconnector and will have problems connecting with buses because its on the wrong side of a bridge that has a 7.5t loading limit.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/2160/27052.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

not to mention the IFSC isnt exactly thrilled about the route disrupting their telecomunications systems when the digging starts, if memory serves there was some high level rumbling about objections to the planning authority if they go ahead citing the loss of businness that was suffered on harcourt street and abbey street. apparently they want it to go down the quays instead :D what fun that'll be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The quays won't happen. Mayor Street is very different to Harcourt Street - Mayor Street has few services, all of which are new and in ducts and it has no basements.

While Harcourt street was mismanaged, hopefully lessons have been learned.

Advertisement