Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS Delivery Service

Options
  • 07-04-2006 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered a package from the UK on wed and paid for 24 hour delivery service, on Thursday I was told that my order missed the thursday delivery deadline so it would be shipped on Thursday and delivered on Friday. Not the end of the world I thought as it was ok to get it before the weekend.

So I arrived into work this morning at 9.00 to find a note on the door from UPS to say there was a delivery attempt but nobody was here, at 8.55.

I got no call and he didn't wait. I phoned UPS to complain that I couldn't wait till monday and the driver couldn't be too far. They logged the call and said I'd get a call back in 10 mins.

3 calls from me later I finally got a response at 10.55 to say the package was back in Finglas at their warehouse and I could wait till monday or collect it myself as there was no more drivers coming into Dublin city centre - hard to believe from one of the biggest delivery companies in the world.

They said they couldn't contact the driver till he pulled back to the station and most drivers don't answer calls because they're too busy delivering!

This is stupid - I paid 24 hour delivery and they're delivering outside business hours, now I have to collect it and drive from Dublin 2 to Finglas....

Anyone else had issues with them, because I'm very pissed off about it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

their dublin drivers are skangers or have no english or both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

To be fair, you should have been available to accept the package, they tried twice and you were not there. Fact they called at 8.55 and you arrived at work @ 9.00 is not an excuse.

You should be available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

To be fair, you should have been available to accept the package, they tried twice and you were not there. Fact they called at 8.55 and you arrived at work @ 9.00 is not an excuse.

You should be available.

Firstly - they tried once... 8.55 - that's all

Secondly - what do you mean I should have been there? My company opens at 9.00 not before that, so why should I be waiting!

If I phone the UPS offices before they open I doubt anyone will answer...

How can I be expected to be in early to pick up a package that might arrive at 5.15pm.... 90% of companies open 9 -5(30) so I would expect it to arrive during business hours.

You obviously work for UPS because your statements are unreasonable and your argument is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I had the exact same problems with them this week too.

They really make it out as if they're doing you a great favour by delivering the package to you.

The GLS service that operates with Komplett is so much better, the driver gives you a call beforehand to see if you are there. It saves hassle for everyone that way.

Ye, the GLS through Komplette is good, dealt with them before. But UPS have really annoyed me now, I've written to the company I bought from to tell them the problems I've had

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

on Thursday I told I missed the delivery so it would be Friday that it would be delivered.
    So you missed the delivery on Thursday and then missed it again on Friday. I reckon you should be getting out of bed earlier in the morning! Besides, could they not have just left it with the receptionist - surely there would have been someone there at 8.55; what sort of company is this! Besides, if they got it there too early on Thursday, you could have anticipated that the return delivery the next day would also be early. Props to UPS for getting it to you so early in the morning. Oh - and GLS are pants, unless something radical has changed recently, AnPost are far better for the Komplett deliveries IMHO.

upsfan wrote:
    So you missed the delivery on Thursday and then missed it again on Friday.

Ok, perhaps I didn't make myself clear....
    I ordered the product on Wednesday at 2.30 and the cut of time for it to be shipped for next day delivery was 3.30, the company I bought the product from didn't place the order before 3.30 so the thursday deadline was missed - nothing to do with USP... The problem is that UPS delivered the product before business hours today, not yesterday!

Take it from the username you also work for UPS...

upsfan wrote:
    what sort of company is this!

To start off it's none of your business, but we're a very well established online services company and none of our 850+ clients have a problem with us opening at 9... I think it's what most companies do.

AFAIK most of the better couriers (UPS, DHL, FedEx) often delivery very early in the morning so you should be used to that. 'Before 9am' delivery is generally more expensive than simple 'next day' in any case so you are actually getting very good value for money. What time did you actually get in to work anyway? If it was actually anywhere near 9 you could have just called the number on the delivery attempt docket and they could have dropped back in to you.

steve06 wrote:
    Firstly - they tried once... 8.55 - that's all

Secondly - what do you mean I should have been there? My company opens at 9.00 not before that, so why should I be waiting!

If I phone the UPS offices before they open I doubt anyone will answer...

How can I be expected to be in early to pick up a package that might arrive at 5.15pm.... 90% of companies open 9 -5(30) so I would expect it to arrive during business hours.

You obviously work for UPS because your statements are unreasonable and your argument is ridiculous!

I don't work for UPS, don't be silly. UPS would say you need to be at home or work from dusk till dawn to sign for it. Might be a pain but unless you're available to take receipt of the item then it's not their fault.

Personally i would be happy if they delivered at 8.55 rather then 5.25 as i'd have to sit in all day waiting for the van.

Even if they had your number they would not be able to give you an exact time for delivery, you still have to wair for the van driver.

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote:
    To start off it's none of your business, but we're a very well established online services company and none of our 850+ clients have a problem with us opening at 9... I think it's what most companies do.

Most companies open at 9pm, but most employees arrive 5 or 10 mins before to open the business and settle in, is that an unreasonable statement?

steve06 wrote:
    Take it from the username you also work for UPS...

Dude...please :rolleyes:

Most companies open at 9pm, but most employees arrive 5 or 10 mins before to open the business and settle in, is that an unreasonable statement?
    Exactly my point, you should have let the receptionist know that you were expecting a package.

upsfan wrote:
    If it was actually anywhere near 9 you could have just called the number on the delivery attempt docket and they could have dropped back in to you.

I did call immediatly, and they didn't get back to me till just before 11.

I was the first in and I was opening up. We have a flexible working environment, there's always someone here for 9, and othere start at 9.30.

upsfan wrote:
    Exactly my point, you should have let the receptionist know that you were expecting a package.

The receptionist wasn't here, I opened up.

Fair enough, you've stated your position on the matter. UPS and Boards members have a different view. I suggest you settle the matter with UPS direct and seek some compensation or apology from them.

I did call immediatly, and they didn't get back to me till just before 11.
    I doubt you called quite immediately, you probably left it until the driver was no longer in your area. If you did call early enough you could at least have got the driver to drop it off at the Rathmines depot and save you the drive.

But, as with so many things in life, this is a salutary example of why it's important to get up early in the morning. The early bird gets the UPS package, and all that.

Besides, I'm sure they will redeliver first thing Monday. Where I work is hardly relevant, but I can assure you I would be there at 8.55 if I was expecting a package.

steve06 wrote:
    The receptionist wasn't here, I opened up.
    Where was the receptionist?

Fair enough, you've stated your position on the matter. UPS and Boards members have a different view. I suggest you settle the matter with UPS direct and seek some compensation or apology from them.

UPS and 1 board member have a different view.

I still think that 24hour delivery, means 24 hour delivery. With the number of vans coming and going to Dublin every day, there's no reason that the package should not have been brought back to the city centre. There would have been other couriers heading this direction, that's a reasonable assumption is it not.

• Advertisement

And even though I phoned shortly after the courier had been, I was told point blank "We only try to deliver a package once!"

upsfan wrote:
    I doubt you called quite immediately, you probably left it until the driver was no longer in your area. If you did call early enough you could at least have got the driver to drop it off at the Rathmines depot and save you the drive.

But, as with so many things in life, this is a salutary example of why it's important to get up early in the morning. The early bird gets the UPS package, and all that.

Besides, I'm sure they will redeliver first thing Monday. Where I work is hardly relevant, but I can assure you I would be there at 8.55 if I was expecting a package.

Sure you would, you'd be up at the crack of dawn just incase it arrived before most businesses open. And considering you work for UPS, go check your systems, my calls were logged. I did call immediatly, then phoned again at 10.20 cos I got no call back, then wasn't phoned back till just before 11 when I was told the driver was just pulling into the depot. Great service!

steve06 wrote:
    UPS and 1 board member have a different view.

I still think that 24hour delivery, means 24 hour delivery. With the number of vans coming and going to Dublin every day, there's no reason that the package should not have been brought back to the city centre. There would have been other couriers heading this direction, that's a reasonable assumption is it not.

I don't know how UPS assign drivers and vehicles, i assume they have enough vans to cover different areas of the city.

The times when i missed items from An Post i would walk to the depot and collect it, it's a pain...but what can you do?

Be happy it arrived at all, i mean....look at all the missing packages that just go AWOL, it be worse if nothing arrived....then you'd be really p*ssed!

steve06 wrote:
    And even though I phoned shortly after the courier had been, I was told point blank "We only try to deliver a package once!"

I've always known this to be true for most delivery companies, i do remeber once i missed FedEx and the driver did come back later in the day. It's generally accepted they only delivery once and then it goes to the depot whereby you manually collect it.

Correct me if i'm wrong :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Delivery attempt docket? I didn't get one of them.

In fact I only had their word to go on that they tried to deliver my package.

Steve, please stop accusing Boards members of being UPS lackies, i doubt UPS even know this site exists.

I don't know how UPS assign drivers and vehicles, i assume they have enough vans to cover different areas of the city.

The times when i missed items from An Post i would walk to the depot and collect it, it's a pain...but what can you do?

Be happy it arrived at all, i mean....look at all the missing packages that just go AWOL, it be worse if nothing arrived....then you'd be really p*ssed!

Ye but at the same time, a drive to Finglas is a lot more hassle than going to the local post office. I was told that there were more vans going back to the city centre but the supervisor said no, I missed it today it would be monday. That's hardly the attitude to take when the resources are available.

steve06 wrote:
    You can hardly expect UPS to be going back and forth to you all day trying to deliver your parcel just because you can't drag yourself out of bed in the morning, they have other parcels to deliver! (Presumably to earlier birds than yourself.)

You were unlucky that your receptionist was late/sick this morning, you can't blame that on UPS.

And I never said I worked for UPS, I've just found them to provide good service in the past.

Steve, please stop accusing Boards members of being UPS lackies, i doubt UPS even know this site exists.

Only saying this because UPS fan joined today as I posted and has only responded to my post. And with that name it's kind of obvious.

I wouldn't have minded that much but the "tough ****" attitude and the delays in responding to me are what's annoyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jesus, it's a thread full of trolls! Are there any actual posters in here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement