Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For non United/Chelsea fans

• 07-04-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Sup Lads,

I have a little dilemma that I think most non United or Chelsea fans might be able to associate with..

I am a Liverpool supporter. I dislike Man United mainly because of their supporters. I dislike Chelsea as I feel their money has changed the game and I also dislike the arrogance of both their players and manager. I want neither to win the league.

I had accepted that Chelsea are going to win the league again this year since the opening day of the season. I begrudge the fact that I settled on this but I figured it was easier just to accept the inevitable.

Now it seems that United may actually provide a threat to Chelsea if a few results go in their favour. I like the fact that even though they have all the money in the world, a club with less money (albeit on slightly less) may be able to take the title off them.

If it was any other club, I would be deligted. However, I know that if United do pip it at the end, I/we will never hear the end of it. I will have United supporting fans jumping in my face anytime I mention football. United will be the golden boys of broadcasters again..

Do you want United to beat Chelsea regardless of all the potential gloating and boasting or are you happy just to let Chelsea win it to avoid the boasting?

Who do you want to win the league? 30 votes

Chelsea - Its better than having to listen to United supporters
    0%
    United - Stick it to Chelsea regardless!!
    100%
    WhiteWashManThanx 4 The Fishsuper_furryRabiesLafortezzazAbboChucky the treejankPigman IIjesus_thats_grep.petemr_angryWasterShaque attackKingp35Jivin TurkeyDub13redspiderJuan Pabloziggy 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tis not intended to flame anyone by the way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Having read Bobby Charltons comments "If United win Ferguson will have to be considered the greatest mananger 'ever'" I really don't think I could handle that much hype and certainly the applause would give me a headache.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I was thinking about the exact same dilemma myself, and the conclusion is that much as I dislike Chelsea, I couldn't listen to united fans if they did it, so would have to prefer Chelsea win it. I had also resigned myself to the fact that they had it sown up, and tbh I could never want united to win the league. Ever.

Hopefully next year Pool will pip em both, but unfortunately I can't see it happening that soon.

Another reason is that United are getting dangerously close to Liverpools record number of titles. Petty I know, but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

p.pete wrote:
    Having read Bobby Charltons comments "If United win Ferguson will have to be considered the greatest mananger 'ever'" I really don't think I could handle that much hype and certainly the applause would give me a headache.
    As a ManU fan, I have to note my delight as Liverpool beat milan in the CL and after a full year of this "5 times..." malarky, I would hope that liverpool fans do not begrudge their rivals patting themselves on the back should their team better liverpool's comeback from the previous year.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As a ManU fan, I have to note my delight as Liverpool beat milan in the CL and after a full year of this "5 times..." malarky, I would hope that liverpool fans do not begrudge their rivals patting themselves on the back should their team better liverpool's comeback from the previous year.:D

I was thinking about this myself.. Nearly every step of the way, Liverpool fans were told they were lucky and to this day, many still say it was a complete fluke.. Liverpool's fans bragging is more to do with the neh sayin of oppossing clubs fans and jealously.

• Advertisement

Personally I haven't gone round saying "5 times..." for the last year though I know it does go on - and I'll definitely have to listen to that from United fans if they stage a comeback, and I'd rather not. England may as well win the world cup at that stage as I'd be desensitised.

Boro's comeback last night I think was better then anything Liverpool did last year, and I am going to support Arsenal in the CL semis and hopefully the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Its a bad situation. I dont have enough hate for both teams. I hope Chelsea fade away soon so I can pour my Vitriol exclusivley into ManU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What's the big deal about Chelsea and their money? :confused:

They spend money put into the club by a Russian individual while there was a time when Liverpool and Man Utd outspent everyone else in England with money they'd taken from other foreigners (ie 'fans'/consumers in Ireland/Scandinavia/Thailand etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

liverpool have a legacy in football and so do man united. both teams have a history of having great teams that earned every throphy, personally i like liverpool being the record holders for the amount of league titles so i dont want united to win anymore.

chelsea are a mercenary team that have no legacy and nothing to them, them winning the league means very little to me personally, but it stops utd from having another league title, so for now i rather see chelsea win. liverpool are the only team capable of knocking chelsea off anyway imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Zebra3 wrote:
    What's the big deal about Chelsea and their money? :confused:

They spend money put into the club by a Russian individual while there was a time when Liverpool and Man Utd outspent everyone else in England with money they'd taken from other foreigners (ie 'fans'/consumers in Ireland/Scandinavia/Thailand etc)

The growing hatred of Chelsea has little to do with money. Its the way the club conducts itself right from that snake Kenyon down to that donkey Drogba on the field. There has been loads of situations were their manners and ignorance has let them down. Ashley Cole, Sven, Frisk, Mikel to name but a few. I actually liked JM until i seen him gloating at Bryan Robson when they won 2-1 the other week. That type of behaviour makes me sick and i wish Chelsea nothing but the worst. i havent even started talking about their puke defensive football yet.

I have to be honest as a United fan i dont like pool fans but i cheered liverpool on as a team in the CL final against Milan. Their heart in that game was incredible and when they won i was genuinely happy. To think that anyone (Bar chelsea fans)would prefer chelsea to win the league over United makes me sick. I'd rather watch back to back episides of the teletubies than watch Chelsea play

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    Personally I haven't gone round saying "5 times..." for the last year though I know it does go on - and I'll definitely have to listen to that from United fans if they stage a comeback, and I'd rather not. England may as well win the world cup at that stage as I'd be desensitised.

Boro's comeback last night I think was better then anything Liverpool did last year, and I am going to support Arsenal in the CL semis and hopefully the final.
    I don't mind all the "5 times..." stuff. Fans are supposed to brag. It's what makes supporting clubs fun, and I would never hold it against any groups of fans rubbing their success in people's faces because i know i would do it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Chelsea are a minor annoyance, a blip. United are the enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I voted Man Utd on the grounds that Chelski are killing the game, as tiresome as Utd fans became back in the mid-late 90s at least they could point to a team that played (and wanted to play) good football. Marueen is anti-football as far as I can tell.

Mike.

Mourinho says he is more worried about bird flu than a ManU resurgance.
    Would all this talk not spur United on. I mean that, mourinho might make the united players focus on proving him wrong and the chelsea players could relax.
    But who am I to question the special one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Its not an easy answer as a liverpool fan. Like mike just said chelsea are wrecking the game, they've no class (look no further than jose and drogba), their fans don't sing for any lenght of time in any i've watched them play, and spending millions upon millions to play a style of football thats unwatchable.

but regardless of that utd are still and always will be the enemy and i couldn't take a year of reading and listening to reports on how utd are the best team to ever play football and fergie is the best manager ever etc etc.

its a head-wrecking choice to make but utd are always going to be our main rivals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Picked Chelsea because I respect United as a club but their supporters are the most brainless dumbwit arrogrant know it alls ever! Especially in Ireland!

jank wrote:
    Picked Chelsea because I respect United as a club but their supporters are the most brainless dumbwit arrogrant know it alls ever! Especially in Ireland!
    Keep it friendly....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

p.pete wrote:
    Keep it friendly....

Its just my opinion. Some are grand but alot are the bandwagon types..

Of course all the good people on boards.ie dont fit into this category ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chelsea are a minor annoyance, a blip. United are the enemy.

:D:D:D A Blackburn x 2, if you will.

Seriously, the title usually goes to the most monied team. Regardless of where the cash comes from. As a Leeds fan.....anyone but them..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Reds fan, and i voted Chelsea. While ManU fans may not be the total scum of the earth, they are the lesser of two evils.

The only good outcome would be for united to lose it in the last minute or by a whisker :)

Oh and the Pool win the FA Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

nipplenuts wrote:
    As a Leeds fan.....anyone but them..........

Couldnt have said it any better myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Chelsea, they are the better side and deserve it more over the season.

The fact that there are United fans voting for United in this poll confirms my happiness with this decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

el rabitos wrote:
    liverpool are the only team capable of knocking chelsea off anyway imo.

You're entitled to your opinion, but on what basis? Their legacy? History proves nothing in football.

Sure, Liverpool could knock Chelsea off, but so could many other teams if they got a few decent players and a bit of self belief -- Liverpool with a couple of decent strikers, United with a couple of decent midfielders, the list goes on.

Oh, and I'm a fan of neither.

You're entitled to your opinion, but on what basis? Their legacy? History proves nothing in football.

yeah. i think liverpool will topple chelsea because liverpool have won it 18 times, the last of which was 15 years ago, whats your basis for a stupid comment such as that?

my opinion is on the basis that i think liverpool are better at controlling games and imposing their game on other teams. theres alot of improvements needed, but in the short term, ie next 2 seasons or so, i see liverpool as the team that are best positioned to challenge chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

el rabitos wrote:
    yeah. i think liverpool will topple chelsea because liverpool have won it 18 times, the last of which was 15 years ago, whats your basis for a stupid comment such as that?

my opinion is on the basis that i think liverpool are better at controlling games and imposing their game on other teams. theres alot of improvements needed, but in the short term, ie next 2 seasons or so, i see liverpool as the team that are best positioned to challenge chelsea.

I'ed much prefer to base my opinion on the fact that Liverpool have played Arsenal twice in the league, Chelsea twice in the league and Man United twice in the league. From those six matches, they've managed 1 win and 1 draw. They've lost the other four.

In fact, AFAIK they've played Chelsea 9 times in the past two seasons and managed 1 win.

I'm sure Mourinho can't sleep at night with the danger of such a challenge... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Lemlin wrote:
    I'ed much prefer to base my opinion on the fact that Liverpool have played Arsenal twice in the league, Chelsea twice in the league and Man United twice in the league. From those six matches, they've managed 1 win and 1 draw. They've lost the other four.

In fact, AFAIK they've played Chelsea 9 times in the past two seasons and managed 1 win.

I'm sure Mourinho can't sleep at night with the danger of such a challenge... ;)

lol i agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Because we all know that winning the league is based on 6 matches. Shouldnt boro be top or somthing?

I'm sure Mourinho can't sleep at night with the danger of such a challenge...

he said today that he's more worried about bird flu than man utd, who cares what mourinho thinks.

what i gave was my opinion, and getting into an argument with u is pointless, i only have to play the blackburn card and its over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

As a United fan I would hope every Liverpool fan is voting Chelsea.
    They loose my respect if they dont.:D

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    he said today that he's more worried about bird flu than man utd, who cares what mourinho thinks.

what i gave was my opinion, and getting into an argument with u is pointless, i only have to play the blackburn card and its over.

Play any card you like and, while you're doing it, show me where I said anything along the lines of Blackburn challenging Chelsea this season. I'm not the one here making unrealistic assumptions about my team here.

I said I hoped Blackburn would finish seven. They may finished above that, they may finish below it but I'm just happy not to be in a relegation dog fight for the first time in a few seasons.

right lemlin. and ur a liverpool fan too.

el rabitos wrote:
    liverpool have a legacy in football and so do man united. both teams have a history of having great teams that earned every throphy, personally i like liverpool being the record holders for the amount of league titles so i dont want united to win anymore.

chelsea are a mercenary team that have no legacy and nothing to them, them winning the league means very little to me personally, but it stops utd from having another league title, so for now i rather see chelsea win. liverpool are the only team capable of knocking chelsea off anyway imo.

Are you for real? :rolleyes:

Liverpool and Man Utd have both splashed serious money over the years and Chelsea had some great sides down the years just like L'pool an Man Utd have had some terrible sides down the years.

I'm sure none of the players who play for L'pool or Manchester would leave if they were asked to take 50% pay cuts. :rolleyes:

well ****, congrats on finding the *rollseyes* smiley

but yes, i'm very "for real"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well as a United fan I'm not voting in this. I hope we do it, but am not getting my hopes up just yet. Personally I'm just glad that we seem to be playing like a team again.

As for yahoo fans every team has them. I met up with a bunch of our fans in Galway when we just won the league (97 I think):D and all they were interested in doing was going on a tour of all the local pubs giving them **** about how we won. Mind you they did get a hell of a slagging that season. I left them to it as it wasn't my scene.

But I've met enough gob****e pool fans too. They got awful lippy with nothing to back it up (and no I'm not talking about last May).

As for Chelsea, Abramovich has just walked in and exploited loopholes and corruption in the running of the game to use it to his own advantage, and I don't think it's just a vanity buy. The father of the new portsmouth manager (another new russian billionaire like roman) has an arrest warrant out for him on money laundering charges. So whatever about inter club rivalries I think this kind of thing is more serious and could lead to serious harm to the game. What Roman has done others are looking to do, the head of hearts (I forget his name) said that he thought that by 2009 roughly a quarter of premiership teams would be Russian owned; and no before you ask I'm not anti Russian it's just that a lot of the newly monied class out their got their money in what might be described as questionable circumstances. Apologies for going off thread.

So that's another reason for United then :rolleyes:

el rabitos wrote:
    right lemlin. and ur a liverpool fan too.

Great comeback there. Still, I suppose you're right, Liverpool must be the only team capable of challenging Chelsea..... in your little red bubble, biased mind anyway ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Haha, every spud I've every had an argument on here with voted for Chelsea. No shock there I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I personally think that if united manage to pull this one out of the hat it is a comeback at least on a par with the pool milan game

el rabitos wrote:
    well ****, congrats on finding the *rollseyes* smiley

but yes, i'm very "for real"

You need to spend more time actually looking at the game than believing everything the xenophobic British media rant about.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

United. I respect United, I don't respect Chelsea. They've earned the right to be where they are, Chelsea are where they are because a Russian Oligarch decided to play Championship Manager with the premiership.

Chelsea are the footballing equivalent of this guy:

http://newswww.bbc.net.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4630389.stm

Davei141 wrote:
    Because we all know that winning the league is based on 6 matches. Shouldnt boro be top or somthing?

That was just making a point. Showing that Liverpool won't be genuine contenders until they can beat the teams around them. Chelsea have beaten Arsenal twice, Liverpool twice and have to play United yet. That means they've won 4 games from the six and lost one so far.

Its actually about winning as much as you can from 38 and Liverpool fail when it comes to beating Chelsea over that too. They can't even match United even though el rabitos seems to think that they are better challengers than a team five points ahead of them with a game in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's not just the top teams Lemlin, it's the top teams in general that they drop points again.
    also Brum for some reason

Won:

Sunderland - W
    Blackburn - H
    West Ham - H
    Villa - A
    Portsmouth - H
    City - A
    Sunderland - A
    Wigan - H
    Boro - H
    Newcastle - H
    Everton - A
    West Brom - H
    Spurs - H
    Portsmouth - A
    Wigan - A
    Arsenal - H
    City - H
    Fulham - H
    Newcaslte - A
    Everton - A
    West Brom - A

Drew:

Brum - H
    Bolton - A
    Boro - A
    Spurs - A
    Man Utd - H
    Brum - A
    Charlton - H

Loss:

Chelsea - A
    Utd - A
    Fulham - A
    Chelsea - H
    Arsenal - A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 globalconspirac

As I liverpool fan I voted for Utd. With all the money they have spent it is good that there is a team to make them sweat for their title. Its good for the premiership, and with a resurgent Arsenal, hopefully an invested Liverpool side and a good UTD side the '06/07 season will be a bit more competitive.
    Also it is a tough dilemma but as has been said I have no respect for the way Chelsea conduct themselves on and off the field. Then again i think I have lost someone's respect....... :)

Quote adox
    "As a United fan I would hope every Liverpool fan is voting Chelsea.
    They loose my respect if they dont."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It is an unfortunate dilemma for many Liverpool fans and indeed Arsenal fans, although the latter have currently more things to please them than to really care about it.

I'm a Liverpool follower, so its not an easy choice. I think I would prefer to see Chelsea win it. As much as I abhorr the way that Abramovich got his money illegally and is now affecting the sport by his over-expenditure, I am willing to see the title go to Chelsea. Not for footballing reasons, as they have failed to spark this season, and not because I am more of an ABU than an ABC, but its much of a muchness and for those Chelsea followers pre-Abramovich who have had few trophies over the years, the fans of te Kerry Dixon era, the Peter Osgood era, etc. Those fans do deserve it.

However, as a balance to that, I think those same fans should now take their heads out of the sand and condemn the source of the money that has brought them this success. Like the Mafia person that drives around in a limo, we should not be impressed by their limo, or their bling-bling. Chelsea FC are currently like "caviar" that Abramovich is spending (wasting) his money on, and the voice of real Chelsea fans condemning the situation is whats needed.

So, ok, have your title, your 2nd one, but after that, speak up, if you have any morals or a conscience!

Also, Chelsea winning the league should ease Liverpool's task in the FA Cup semi-final. With the league looking more likely, they should be more likely to give up the semi-final in terms of effort. But its only a possible slight effect and one that may not materialise.

So for me, I want Chelse to win the league, although I wont be pleased either way.

redspider

United. I respect United, I don't respect Chelsea. They've earned the right to be where they are, Chelsea are where they are because a Russian Oligarch decided to play Championship Manager with the premiership.

So there's a huge difference in Chelsea using a Russian's money and Manchester using money generated abroad in Ireland, Thailand, China, etc?

Do you have no respect for Wigan and Reading who both have a sugar daddy? :confused:

The difference in my mind is that the money was made through football, mostly due to playing attractive effective football.

I'd say a lot of money generated by MUFC over the years was due to Beckham being such a roide...

Wigan and Reading certainly didn't have all that money injected in them through playing attractive effective football. Are they hated at the same levels as Chelsea?

Xenephobia rules in British football.

Maybe so, but that wouldn't explain why most teams have about 5 foreign players in it.

Man Utd's success came through the football club, and the PLC marketing machine.
    CHelsea's success came from Ambrovimich's back pocket.

That's peoples problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

As a Liverpool fan, I'm currently cheering on the Arse for the Champs League and Man Yoo for the title. If Chelsea actually do fall apart, it will blow the league wide open next year - it's Chelsea's mentality, and the mentality that they instill in other teams, that's a huge reason for their success, and if they throw away the title that'll be gone next year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Zebra3 wrote:
    So there's a huge difference in Chelsea using a Russian's money and Manchester using money generated abroad in Ireland, Thailand, China, etc?
    The important word there is generated.

Wigan and Reading aren't on the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I voted Chelsea. At least Jose is funny at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement