Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get US style pancake mix?

• 07-04-2006 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy some fluffy pancake batter mix anywhere in Ireland. You can get one in the States where you just add water into a container and then shake it. Makes the nicest pancakes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw some in tescos for pancake tuesday. should be in the flour section, though my tescos has 2 places I have seen it, either with sugar and goldensyrup or in the flour section, should be near the packs you get to add water to make cakes/bread.

Plenty of recipies out there on the net. The ingredients in those packs are readily available, and fresh eggs and milk is always better. I know some people use fizzy water to make them lighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yep, soda water, or a spoon of baking soda, into a thick pancake batter.

Thinking of it, baking soda is a base and reacts with acids to form CO2, carbon dioxide bubble. This is the same as adding yeast to bread to form CO2 to make it rise. Perfect acid to add to pancakes is lemon juice. Add lemon juice and baking soda and they will neutralise each other leaving salt and gas behind. So no need to add salt to the recipie, and you get nice lemony fluffy pancakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I have a great easy recipe for American style pancakes

100g flour
    2 eggs
    50ml of milk
    2 teaspoons of fast acting yeast powder

This makes about 5 medium thick pancakes

fry in butter

These are great if you add fruit to while cooking eg bananas or berries (frozen berries you can get in most supermarkets are really handy for this).

enjoy.............:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

rubadub wrote:
    Thinking of it, baking soda is a base and reacts with acids to form CO2, carbon dioxide bubble. This is the same as adding yeast to bread to form CO2 to make it rise. Perfect acid to add to pancakes is lemon juice. Add lemon juice and baking soda and they will neutralise each other leaving salt and gas behind. So no need to add salt to the recipie, and you get nice lemony fluffy pancakes

Or just use baking powder which is bicarb and acetic acid mixed, does the same job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I generally add baking powder and a few whisked egg whites if I want fluffy pancakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Try using yoghurt instead of milk.
    makes them even lighter

I did the baking powder/lemon juice thing last night. I put it in my "amazing bullet" to whisk it up. THis is a mini food processor with an airtight seal. Well so much gas was given off that the damn thing exploded! no messing. big bang and batter everywhere!. saved about half of it and it was very nice. BE WARNED!

Advertisement