Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house with these cracks in it?

Options
  • 07-04-2006 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Cracks occur in the bay window area...

one downstairs and one upstairs

Surveyor suggested that the bay window will need to be pinned back, possibly underpinned.
    Although he is 70% sure that it has stopped moving

Anyone know how much this costs?

Would you buy?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If the house is pre 1950s thats a common issue , if more recent I would be surprised at that level of subsidence except in Dublin of course :p

Budget for €5k anyway , 2k in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

It's about 70 years old.

how did you come up with 5k?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bobk wrote:

Although he is 70% sure that it has stopped moving

You're buying the house?

I'd knock off 5k (for repairs as per previous post) and monitor the crack your self. If the house is 70 years old chances are it shouldnt move or settle unless there has been earth works (or gorund works) around the house in recent times. Try and find out if there will be any in the future.

I'd have to see it myself but if there was a chance it could get worse I wouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Is the crack noticeable on the outside of house as well? Maybe check other houses on road for same problem...

I had one under my sill,it went straight down and one from 3/4 way up from reveal.I had to dig it out as per engineers instructions,use cement mixed with some special stuff(cant remember name) and use some expanding metal.Crack hasnt come back,well yet anyway.Done it over 3years ago....

Lucky though I didnt have to underpin house,its a big job to underpin a house.Digging down under foundations and pouring concrete in and placing steel bars in also.....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check for signs of excavation outside the window, e.g. for drains.

Based on the relatively recent paint, I would not be happy that it has stopped moving.

I would budget much more for the repair, you might be into reuildign the entire bay and replacing windows. What does your surveyor recommend?

I say a terrace of houses today where there was a distinct wobble mid terrace, with some brick arches separated and possibly only supported by the windows beneath. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement