Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV sound problem

• 07-04-2006 1:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

The sound recently went on my TV. Brought it back and the guy reset the sound. When I brought it home it was stuck on mono sound. Cant get Nicam stereo. There is a hissing and crackling sound on many channels. I assume this is because its stuck on mono. Is there anything that I could do myself to sort it out or should I just bring it back again? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

What's the make/model of the set and what were the original symptoms of the first fault ?
    Who "fixed" the set for you, how much did they charge ?
    What do you mean by "reset the sound" ?

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Its a Philips 32" widescreen. Think this is the model- 32DW6559. The first time, the sound stopped working. No sound at all. Brought it back to Powercity. Charged €40. Was only a couple of days out of guarantee when I brought it in. Thats what he said he did- "reset sound". Dont know anything more about what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

Out of guarantee me ars*. Manufacturers guarantees are worth nothing more than the paper they are written on.
    A television should be expected to work more that 12 months and a few days. There is loads of consumer protection legislation out there for you to have insisted that they repair free of charge.
    People should try to inform themselves before been ripped off by 'profit at all cost' organisations like this.............

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

scart
    what legislation are you talking about, I assume that post your 12mth statutory guarantee period you are into a warranty situation which is determined by the manufacturer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

slave1 wrote:
    scart
    what legislation are you talking about, I assume that post your 12mth statutory guarantee period you are into a warranty situation which is determined by the manufacturer

1. The Sale of Goods & supply of sercices Act 1980, amended in 1994
    2. The European directive on the sale of consumer goods and associated guarantees (1999/44/EC), which was passed into law in Ireland in January 2003.
    These two pieces of legislation states that when you purchase goods from a trader they must correspond with the description, be of satisfactory quality - which includes lasting a reasonable length of time - and be fit for the purpose. If the goods aren't of 'satisfactory quality', you're entitled to claim your money back or to claim compensation, which is normally the cost of repairs. This lasts for up to six years after you bought the goods (five years in Scotland). The retailer, not the manufacturer, is legally obliged to sort out the problem if the goods don't meet these requirements. A manufacturer's one/two year guarantee is in addition to these rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I went through all that with Powercity. I talked about court and also asked a solicitor. Powercity stood their ground. They gave me a number to contact Philips and they were the same. Nothing they would do. Solicitor said its not worth taking to court because they offered a 12mth guarantee and it was past it. I was saying that the product was not fit for the purpose it was sold for, but no good.

Anyway thats not really the issue. Any ideas whats wrong? Its a lot of hassle to bring it back again.

Advertisement